because of the shinanigans with mirosoft basically adding "ai" to windows i am now switching to linux and i need a little help

i want to use a linux distro thats best with nvidia drivers and is easy for someone just switching from windows any suggestions?

Goodluck. Linux is still far from being able to be used for mainstream use. You will begin your journey decided whether you want Arch, Debian, or one of their many forks.

Two that are generally used are Ubunutu, Linux Mint, but there are tons more and honestly its just a mess.

Could just use windows 10, wont have the AI crap. 

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Goodluck.

yeah except i would like to stay secure tho

I don't know how much it will help, but here's a video for beginners from someordinarygamers on how to switch. There's more useful features than you would think, but it is definitely getting closer to being able to daily drive, especially after all the announcements from windows with the AI stuff lately.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W || NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler || MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard || CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) || SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 || SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 || Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive || MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G LHR || Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window || Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular || Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wireless Optical Mouse || Input Club K-Type w/ Ajazz Kiwi Switches

Ubuntu isn’t bad but I mainly use it for my server. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

41 minutes ago, Shadeamous said:

Linux isnt anymore secure then windows 10 tbh. Everything comes with a pick your poison for OS. You are trusting you will get continued support from your distro of choice, and that isnt always a guaranteed thing.

I've used Linux Mint for at least a decade. I've installed it on over 50 laptops and the rest of the computers have been desktops to make up more than 100 computers now running Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.

My partner back in 2018 kept getting problems with Windows updates breaking things until October when they wiped her computer and did the same to about a million others. So one day running Windows 10 and the next (I swapped disk cables to one with a total backup and Linux) she sits down at a Linux Mint computer and simply carries on as if nothing had happened.... except nothing breaks each month.

Web browsing, accounting, learning the violin, emails, documents where needed, a well used computer. At the moment she is learning a song for the ukulele that her group will be singing and playing in a few weeks.

Linux Mint? It is logical, reliable and well supported. There is also a very good discussion forum.

Easy? It couldn't be easier.

Sometimes I have to sort out someones' Windows computer. What a mess and not logical and usually lacking in set up items and options.

2 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Goodluck. Linux is still far from being able to be used for mainstream use. You will begin your journey decided whether you want Arch, Debian, or one of their many forks.

Two that are generally used are Ubunutu, Linux Mint, but there are tons more and honestly its just a mess.

Completely/mostly disagree; distros like Linux mint or popOS or elementaryOS are perfect examples for user migrating from macOS or windows with basically no problems. I would argue that these days even arch based distros like garuda linux or endevourOS are very user friendly and as someone who used those distros they have not broke on me a single time. For game emulation its plug n play you literally drop the ROM in to lutris and boom(most of the time, still better then windows) it works! Gaming on Linux is not that bad, theoretically speaking almost all games can run on Linux if the anticheats/rootkits were supported.(some may not run for other reasons too but anticheats are the culprit 95% of the time). If your into gaming NobaraOS is a solid choice. 

"Its just a mess" only if you make it one.

Windows 10 EOF is next year plus a few months and after that you probably are going to be forced to use 11 unless your fine with paying 61 bucks or go without security support and stick with an antivirus like bitdefender... 

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've always found Ubuntu to be the easiest transition coming from Windows, but even that isn't easy.

Linux mint is better imo. Ubuntu has a very tarnished reputation from its past...(sure they "fixed it" but I find it still sus... *cough* snapstore )

2 hours ago, Shadeamous said:

Windows 10 ltsc iot has suppprt till 2032.

How long other software will work on 10 is going to be a mistery but at least you have a lot more time.

As far as we know 11 ltsc has a ton of the ai stuff not available if the prerelease builds are to be trusted.

3 hours ago, Shadeamous said:

i want to use a linux distro thats best with nvidia drivers and is easy for someone just switching from windows any suggestions?

BazziteOS. Easy, secure, stable and performant. Just stick to the app store for your needs.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

CPU: 7945HX

GPU: 4090M

3 hours ago, Shadeamous said:

popOs and mint are the best options for you.

10 hours ago, CosmicEmotion said:

BazziteOS. Easy, secure, stable and performant. Just stick to the app store for your needs.

I'd recommend this, its atomic desktop.

Identical to immutable.

Perfect for stable system and you can learn Linux by using distrobox if needed.

It's working out of the box.

Simply select bazzite then nvidia you'll get bazzite nvidia image.

I'm main user on Bazzite with nvidia so far no issues with gaming that's for sure.

Hint x11 session on login screen for stable desktop instead wayland however wayland is future desktop though.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

I feel like people that either don't recommend the switch or only work with Linux as a server haven't used it as desktop in years.

I switched to Debian 3-4 years ago and never had any major problems.

Most basic stuff comes with Discover on KDE and whenever you want to go beyond that, just google it, copy the command line stuff and you're good to go.

It's only when you try to do something windows wouldn't let you do to begin with, you encounter problems.

3 hours ago, Arokan said:

whenever you want to go beyond that, just google it, copy the command line stuff and you're good to go.

💀

20 hours ago, Shadeamous said:

Ubuntu 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

16 minutes ago, wasab said:

Ubuntu 

Minty, Ubuntu *cough* snapstore and diabolical 

1 hour ago, goatedpenguin said:

Minty, Ubuntu *cough* snapstore and diabolical 

Yeah... pretty sure no one ever uses it just like no one ever uses windows Microsoft store or the apple app store on macos. Weirdly, outside of mobile phones, no body ever use any central distribution market place. I remember this website called download.com which used to be the go to unofficial "appstore" back in the days for computer softwares. Now it is mostly dead. 

Even on Linux, if a website has an easy to download installer or just something running fine out of the box for a particular software, I would choose that over whatever outdated version from the package manager instead. Case point, chrome browser. I download it from Firefox, on its official website rather than apt install. This applies to steam and a host of other softwares. For many, I create a bin in my home and dump all of them there before creating a .desktop shortcut. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Yeah... pretty sure no one ever uses it just like no one ever uses windows Microsoft store or the apple app store on macos.

It's still there and its a closed source app distributing open source software pretty ironic isn't it? 

On 5/22/2024 at 6:04 AM, goatedpenguin said:

Linux mint is better imo.

Same opinion here. Mostly because it's easier to support new users on Mint, and the desktop environment is quite "windows like".

When people ask "How do I do X on PopOS" I have to bite my tongue and not say "Start by downloading this, ask again once it's installed"

1 hour ago, Ralphred said:

Same opinion here. Mostly because it's easier to support new users on Mint, and the desktop environment is quite "windows like".

When people ask "How do I do X on PopOS" I have to bite my tongue and not say "Start by downloading this, ask again once it's installed"

For Mac elementary Os is fine though the UI is less cleaner

On 5/22/2024 at 8:06 AM, Shadeamous said:

nvidia drivers

Manjaro or Pop OS. Arch is good for gaming so go Manjaro. Bazzite is something new that I haven't looked into but I heard it is the best for gaming so far. Gaming on GNU/Linux is hard. But we encourage everybody to make the switch!

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

16 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

so go Manjaro

No.

1 minute ago, goatedpenguin said:

No.

No context?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.