Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

There is one directly after each manifold and then one directly after the catalytic converter (if the exhaust is original).

Why do kits come with more than 2? Ive never changed them before, its new to me

12 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Why do kits come with more than 2? Ive never changed them before, its new to me

For the case of using a catalytic converter, since in the U.S. removing the catalytic converter is illegal if it was produced from the manufacture with one (some states will actually take this a bit further). 

If you use a catalytic converter then it's a good idea to have one as it can monitor the emission levels, as well as whether or not the catalytic converter is functioning as intended. It can also allow you to run a fuel map that is more efficient (less polluting) at, say, low load or partial throttle.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

For the case of using a catalytic converter, since in the U.S. removing the catalytic converter is illegal if it was produced from the manufacture with one (some states will actually take this a bit further). 

If you use a catalytic converter then it's a good idea to have one as it can monitor the emission levels, as well as whether or not the catalytic converter is functioning as intended. It can also allow you to run a fuel map that is more efficient (less polluting) at, say, low load or partial throttle.

They come in packs of 4 though, i only know of 2 to change. My rpms bounce up and down, figured that was the culprit when its all that came up in the scan.

13 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

They come in packs of 4 though, i only know of 2 to change. My rpms bounce up and down, figured that was the culprit when its all that came up in the scan.

Yep for instances where someone, like my '97, decides to run dual cats. I have an oxygen sensor for each header and then one for after each catalytic converter. 

Also so they don't always come in packs of four. You can also buy them individually.

Yep for instances where someone, like my '97, decides to run dual cats. I have an oxygen sensor for each header and then one for after each catalytic converter.

Ahhhh alright, i was so confused by the packs of 4 and how they name them in bank one and two.

I figured each bank had to have atleast 2, but it makes sense if it sometimes is more than 2. Wow, its so obvious now.

Thanks lol

7 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Ahhhh alright, i was so confused by the packs of 4 and how they name them in bank one and two.

I figured each bank had to have atleast 2, but it makes sense if it sometimes is more than 2. Wow, its so obvious now.

Thanks lol

I suppose if you wanted the most control over each individual cylinder and injector you could have an oxygen sensor after each exhaust port. It would be complicated wiring but you could tune the air fuel mixture better for each cylinder instead of each bank of cylinders.

I suppose if you wanted the most control over each individual cylinder and injector you could have an oxygen sensor after each exhaust port. It would be complicated wiring but you could tune the air fuel mixture better for each cylinder instead of each bank of cylinders.

Im to impatient to order them to save money, gonna clean them and see if that does the trick.

5 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Im to impatient to order them to save money, gonna clean them and see if that does the trick.

Use some electrical cleaner and compressed air, it should do the trick. 

Secondary thought, if you didn't already, check the wiring as any fluctuation in the voltage that is sent to the computer can cause it to compensate incorrectly.

1 hour ago, Rappalores said:

Yo anyone here that can give me some advice on what car to get as first one? Probably has been asked a lot but I realized I end up at way too expensive cars all the time.

Something simple, inexpensive, and not too nice so you can really enjoy your future cars

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Something simple, inexpensive, and not too nice so you can really enjoy your future cars

can you give examples?

i5 7600K / Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000/ Asus Prime Z270-P / beQuiet PowerZone 650W / Fractal Design Define S

240GB+480GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Alpenföhn Brocken Eco / Lioncast LK30 / Razer Deathadder 2013 / t.bone SC 440 / Plantronics RIG500 / Sennheiser CX 3.00

GROUP B - The Golden Era of Rallying :x

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1843 ($491 with sales)
  • Games owned: 129
  • Games played: 103 (79%)
  • Hours on record: 6,564.3h

Just now, Rappalores said:

can you give examples?

well you do live in germany... So uhhh help Europe ppl

i mean here in the US it's basically just find an econobox or a miata or something. anything that is decently bulletproof, but well taken care of, and very simplisitic in design

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

While im cleaning my o2 sensors, i figured id post this update. Got to the absolute last part before rebuilding this, and my buddy broke his case xD

Waiting for someone to weld it.inCollage_20180426_155023124.thumb.jpg.4c49de4ea295a25106ea7544ec7473a4.jpg

26 minutes ago, Rappalores said:

can you give examples?

If Germany is anything like Britain, a hatchback of some sort is probably your best bet. Do keep in mind that here in the UK, once the engine capacity surpasses 1.6L, insurance increases by 65%~ (edit: Should have added for me, a 17y/o male). For example, the insurance for my 2008 Mini Cooper R56 1.6L is £1200/year. However a 1.8L Focus (which develops around the same number of horses) costs £2000/year so maybe have a quick check of insurance before you set your heart to specific cars...

Totally not the reason why I don't have a Mitsubishi FTO, GTO/3000GT or a Nissan 350Z...

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

You should say that to to the person in my year whose parents bought her a £30K a-class merc as her first car...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well I'm sorry, its been snowing so much since I've had it. I know the weather has finally become less shite but exams so have to study instead of washing... :/ 

It only took half hour to clean :P

Ive had work and college to fit stuff around inc coursework and exams. Sucks atm but I'm making the most of my time with the car 

20180421_222639.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

15 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

You should say that to to the person in my year whose parents bought her a £30K a-class merc as her first car...

One of the girls in my class in 9th grade got a brand new speced out BMW SUV, but it was an automatic so she couldn't use it for driving practice so her parents got her an A class Mercedes as well... Some people man... That was like €100k of car for a 15 year old -_-

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

One of the girls in my class in 9th grade got a brand new speced out BMW SUV, but it was an automatic so she couldn't use it for driving practice so her parents got her an A class Mercedes as well... Some people man... That was like €100k of car for a 15 year old -_-

Are you sure it was hers and not just an excuse from one of the parents to buy a new car? That has happened in the year of someone I know, father bought a £80K 911 (if I remember correctly), claimed he bought it for his daughter, daughter not even insured to drive xD

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Skip to about 6:45

https://youtu.be/1IXHhGeOO6g

That is the pre face lifted version, the new one is lighter and much more powerful, seemingly more powerful than audi lets on

System ProjectLuX

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+

ASUS Prime X370-Pro

G.Skill 2x16GB Trident Z Neo 3600 C16

Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm

Phanteks P400S Tempered Glass

Drives:

Boot Drive- Samsung 960 Evo 250GB

Games- Seagate Barracuda Compute 3TB (2016)

Audio: 

DAC: Schiit Modius

Headphone Amplifier: Schiit Asgard 3

Speaker Amplifier: Yamaha AS501 

Speakers: Dali Zensor 3

Subwoofer: Dali E12-F

Headphones: HifiMan Ananda & Sennheiser HD 558 

IEM: Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless

I really like A4 B5 but that's kinda the "every starter buys this car" kinda thing so insurance is a lot more, same for every 3 series (rip E9x wagon) :(

I saw a 318i in frost white, BBS CH, leather interior and satnav for 11k€. Would've been sooo nice.

See, dreaming way too big again.

i5 7600K / Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000/ Asus Prime Z270-P / beQuiet PowerZone 650W / Fractal Design Define S

240GB+480GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Alpenföhn Brocken Eco / Lioncast LK30 / Razer Deathadder 2013 / t.bone SC 440 / Plantronics RIG500 / Sennheiser CX 3.00

GROUP B - The Golden Era of Rallying :x

• Worth: $1843 ($491 with sales)
  • Games owned: 129
  • Games played: 103 (79%)
  • Hours on record: 6,564.3h

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

If Germany is anything like Britain, a hatchback of some sort is probably your best bet. Do keep in mind that here in the UK, once the engine capacity surpasses 1.6L, insurance increases by 65%~ (edit: Should have added for me, a 17y/o male). For example, the insurance for my 2008 Mini Cooper R56 1.6L is £1200/year. However a 1.8L Focus (which develops around the same number of horses) costs £2000/year so maybe have a quick check of insurance before you set your heart to specific cars...

Totally not the reason why I don't have a Mitsubishi FTO, GTO/3000GT or a Nissan 350Z...

Those are some crazy insurance costs .... i mean , go full out 8+L V10 if a 1,6 costs that much to insure...

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

4 minutes ago, Mr.Dingle said:

Those are some crazy insurance costs .... i mean , go full out 8+L V10 if a 1,6 costs that much to insure...

Ummmm, thank god I live in a rather middle-class area as otherwise, it would be £2000+ for my 1.6L mini. I mean using our old apartment address would come up with £2.3K/year prices... 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ummmm, thank god I live in a rather middle-class area as otherwise, it would be £2000+ for my 1.6L mini. I mean using our old apartment address would come up with £2.3K/year prices... 

[Laughs in 250 Euro / year]

EDIT :  mixed up registration with insurance ... ends up they are roughly the same 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB