Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

I wouldnt say the RS3 is "just as fast" as an RS6, its missing proper quattro and has half the hp. In day to day life then yea, but once you can really go for it the RS6 is just gonna walk all over the RS3

RS3 has benefits. Such as autocross, or in general really tight sections it will definitely be faster.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

There is one directly after each manifold and then one directly after the catalytic converter (if the exhaust is original).

that actually should be every car pretty much.

it's always before/after cats

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

that actually should be every car pretty much.

it's always before/after cats

Ya, depending on the model though some have dual catalytic converters with two oxygen sensors, one for each catalytic converter. For all intents and purposes, the ones after the catalytic coverters aren't needed for the engine to function as they just monitor emission output. The ones before are actually used for calculating air/fuel ratio. 

You probably already knew all of that, and if so, I apologize for autosplaining.

5 hours ago, NerdModeEngaged said:

Last week I would have agreed with you, however as the new facelift of the RS3 has 400 hp, this means that the car is in fact only 150 hp off the NON PERFORMANCE version of the RS6, and then when you take into account the fact that the RS6 weighs 435 kg more than the RS3, it really does mean that the RS3 has really gotten close to the RS6. In regards to power to weight the RS3 is right around 264 hp/tonne, this is in comparison to the 282 of the RS6, as you can see very close, however this is all but specs on a piece of paper and I would still not be convinced, however I did see a video the other day of AutoTopNL comparing a RS3 against a RS7, the RS7 is 10 hp up on the RS6 while weighing 30 kg less, and obviously more aerodynamic, now the RS3 matched the RS7 up to around 215 km\h and from all this I can conclude that the RS3 either matches or is faster than a RS6 up to a certain speed at least, and really for a £45,000 hatch it's getting a bit insane considering that the RS6 is known for shaming a few supercars itself, meaning that the RS3 is capable of the same feat, here is the link to the video: 

Skip to about 6:45

https://youtu.be/1IXHhGeOO6g

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

IS IT WARM ENOUGH TO WASH CARS YET

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

26 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

This guy is my hero. I watch his videos every now and then for inspiration. 

I've washed the ST in my driveway twice this year already! Woot Woot!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

17 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

This guy is my hero. I watch his videos every now and then for inspiration. 

I've washed the ST in my driveway twice this year already! Woot Woot!

meanwhile my accord has been washed once since November. :ph34r:

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

45 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Washing...? What's that?

2 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

We are now mortal enemies. >:(

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

well, school + working construction + winter in MN + having no money because screw student loans + not wanting to pay for car washes = a dirty car. :/ 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

well, school + working construction + winter in MN + having no money because screw student loans + not wanting to pay for car washes = a dirty car. :/ 

Haha I totally understand. When I was a freshman and sophomore in college my car was always dirty. It really only got washed when I went home and could do it in my parents driveway. 

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Haha I totally understand. When I was a freshman and sophomore in college my car was always dirty. It really only got washed when I went home and could do it in my parents driveway. 

exactly! my place also doesn't have a spigot, so I can't do it in my driveway/yard. :( (it's a rental so I can't just add one)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

I've never washed my car before...

In my defence, I've only owned my car for 1.5 months.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

10 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I've never washed my car before...

In my defence, I've only owned my car for 1.5 months.

I've had my Clio 182 less than 2 weeks and its already been cleaned and polished

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

24 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

exactly! my place also doesn't have a spigot, so I can't do it in my driveway/yard. :( (it's a rental so I can't just add one)

I know what you mean about rentals. none of my rentals had a spigot. 

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

too many issues with people leaving them on, or them leaking and bursting pipes in the winter. You can't have nice things at a rental property.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

too many issues with people leaving them on, or them leaking and bursting pipes in the winter. You can't have nice things at a rental property.

People break shit when it's not theirs. I saw a lot of apartment dwellers that really didnt care about the apartment in the slightest. 

11 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

I've had my Clio 182 less than 2 weeks and its already been cleaned and polished

Well I'm sorry, its been snowing so much since I've had it. I know the weather has finally become less shite but exams so have to study instead of washing... :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

26 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Really? I've never been in a place without one.

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

my cars been washed like 8 times so far this year, still dirty.

I really need to wash it every week tbh. Sometimes I just can't though :/

Spoiler

1 hour ago, FuzzyYellow said:

hose + adapter to fit to fitting under your kitchen sink ;)

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

my cars been washed like 8 times so far this year, still dirty.

I really need to wash it every week tbh. Sometimes I just can't though :/

One of the gas station chains in my area offers an unlimited wash pass for $30/mo. I bought that and now run it through the touch free wash two to three times a week. They dont do an awesome job but when you do it often enough the car never gets super bad. Now that the weather is nicer I like to wash the cars in the driveway at least once a week. More if time allows, which can be tough sometimes.

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

hose + adapter to fit to fitting under your kitchen sink ;)

This is an idea that I considered more than once when I lived in first floor apartments. I never went through with it though. Kinda wish I would have. 

I haven't washed the track car since November last year. Going to do it today before this weekend's activities-- lots of track rubber goober on the windshield and body.

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

One of the gas station chains in my area offers an unlimited wash pass for $30/mo. I bought that and now run it through the touch free wash two to three times a week. They dont do an awesome job but when you do it often enough the car never gets super bad. Now that the weather is nicer I like to wash the cars in the driveway at least once a week. More if time allows, which can be tough sometimes.

This is an idea that I considered more than once when I lived in first floor apartments. I never went through with it though. Kinda wish I would have. 

i kinda worry about how harsh chemicals are in touch free washes. Besides, miata can't go through any type of carwash besides a manual labor one. Soft top can't really handle high pressure water.

It works. water pressure may be a little lower than a spigot, but it def works.

Spoiler

Yo anyone here that can give me some advice on what car to get as first one? Probably has been asked a lot but I realized I end up at way too expensive cars all the time.

i5 7600K / Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000/ Asus Prime Z270-P / beQuiet PowerZone 650W / Fractal Design Define S

240GB+480GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Alpenföhn Brocken Eco / Lioncast LK30 / Razer Deathadder 2013 / t.bone SC 440 / Plantronics RIG500 / Sennheiser CX 3.00

GROUP B - The Golden Era of Rallying :x

• Worth: $1843 ($491 with sales)
  • Games owned: 129
  • Games played: 103 (79%)
  • Hours on record: 6,564.3h