Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Done a few magnesium parts in my day.

Do you have a capable welder?

Use helium as a shielding gas at ~ 20 CFH, Lanthinated Tungsten on AC. I found that really high EP worked out, about 85% EP at 120HZ. 

It's kind of an oddball, but it is doable. 

and know that if you do catch it on fire, you basically can't put it out. I want to say flaming magnesium reacts badly with both water and CO2 lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

and know that if you do catch it on fire, you basically can't put it out. I want to say flaming magnesium reacts badly with both water and CO2 lol

I admit that I don't know a ton about the flammability of Magnesium, but I was under the impression that it's only really a danger in small amounts, like grinding dust or something like that. 

But yeah, once it starts you're going to need something to deprive it of oxygen. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

4 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I admit that I don't know a ton about the flammability of Magnesium, but I was under the impression that it's only really a danger in small amounts, like grinding dust or something like that. 

But yeah, once it starts you're going to need something to deprive it of oxygen. 

your right about the small amounts. but with as much heat as you get from a welder anything can happen really. Just gotta be careful.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

honda 500cc bikes like the CB500X and CBR500R has 35Kw and that is nearly 47hp ;) 

but that might be too expensive :/ 

Don't think those are in my €2000 budget tbh xD just looking at used bikes around right now, found a Yamaha 400XS that's not THAT far away and for a pretty cheap price too, but Il probably hold of for a while until I get to the driving part of doing my lisence :D want to get the bike before I do my drivers test so I can save €200 on the rent of a bike

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

21 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

your right about the small amounts. but with as much heat as you get from a welder anything can happen really. Just gotta be careful.

The shielding gas should keep things safe while welding, hence the slightly higher than normal flow rates. 

I guess I always plunged forward heedlessly haha. Probably not the smartest of plans.

I did have one guy blow up an aluminum gas tank I made once. Bastard. I spent a bunch of time making a pretty nice fuel tank for one of our formula cars that fit around a few of the frame tubes. I was in the shop until like 2am getting that thing done, and it looked great; I was pretty proud. Then of course the next day I was sitting in class and got a text from one of the other guys saying that he accidentally blew it up. Fuck head. He went to pressure test it but forgot to turn the regulator on the air line down, so he pumped 120PSI into an aluminum gas tank. Yeah, that didnt work out well, ripped it wide open and bent up a few of the sheets. So I got the honor of building a second one lol. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

5 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It's hard to get hold of an A2 bike that you can use for the driving test and that I can afford, needs to be at least 400cc and no more powerful than 47hp. I can get a 100hp bike easier and cheaper than I can get a 47hp 400cc+ one -_-

You do the driving test on your own bike? o.O 

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Done a few magnesium parts in my day.

Do you have a capable welder?

Use helium as a shielding gas at ~ 20 CFH, Lanthinated Tungsten on AC. I found that really high EP worked out, about 85% EP at 120HZ. 

It's kind of an oddball, but it is doable. 

No i was hoping to find someone who doesnt mind doing it. My body popped out a bearing with the clip still on it, and busted a perfect ring off of his case.

Literally the very last part before we were gonna rebuily the transfer case. xD

He said "well i just spent $400"

33 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

You do the driving test on your own bike? o.O 

you can save €200 doing so, because you dont need to rent one from the driving school. im going to want to go riding as soon as i get the lisence so i get to save myself both time and money, but i probably wont have driven bike much if any so idk if its worth the €200 saved tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you can save €200 doing so, because you dont need to rent one from the driving school. im going to want to go riding as soon as i get the lisence so i get to save myself both time and money, but i probably wont have driven bike much if any so idk if its worth the €200 saved tbh

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I can get a 100hp bike easier and cheaper than I can get a 47hp 400cc+ one -_-

Looks like spending those 200€ is your best option xD

Just now, JoaoPRSousa said:

Looks like spending those 200€ is your best option xD

well im not allowed to ride those 100hp ones with just an A2 lisence, if not i would have already gotten myself my death ticket :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well im not allowed to ride those 100hp ones with just an A2 lisence, if not i would have already gotten myself my death ticket :P 

Forgot the 47hp limit xD

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Forgot the 47hp limit xD

thats still like 10 or so times more power than my moped had in a bike thats only twice the weight at most, so its still a pretty fast thing compared to what i have experience with. cant get my full bike lisence untill im 21 tho :( not sure if il bother getting it anyway, 47hp is plenty enough for most things, the main reason to get the full lisence would be to have more freedom in what i can and cant ride

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats still like 10 or so times more power than my moped had in a bike thats only twice the weight at most, so its still a pretty fast thing compared to what i have experience with. cant get my full bike lisence untill im 21 tho :( not sure if il bother getting it anyway, 47hp is plenty enough for most things, the main reason to get the full lisence would be to have more freedom in what i can and cant ride

[laughs in power]

b7d99c7f94aa31298a3e6c99a93c9477.jpg.c07c702744b120cf8d36e53a8d1ea08f.jpg

Id like a bike too ... but 50cc is all i need.

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

1 minute ago, Mr.Dingle said:

[laughs in power]

Id like a bike too ... but 50cc is all i need.

my 50cc moped, although great fun, was also unable to go more than 30km/h up some of the hills here and it was already faster than allowed already then :P i could get by with a 125cc for my daily comute but i need a 400cc minimum bike if i want to bring my own to my driving test so thats what im looking for. im sure a 50cc dirtbike could be decent amounts of fun though, you can get quite a bit more from the engine i had if you were willing to just throw the term road legal out the window

Builds:

Spoiler

So yeah, hi again.

Name's Stig (Yes really that is my given name).

I've had a bunch of beaters, but here's what I ride now.

The daily shitbox, a '01 E46 320i

pEWXd0k.jpg

And then the project car. 1971 VW 1301L nicknamed "White Rabbit 2.0"   (There was a number one too, but we don't talk about that car)

6B8tawy.jpg

I like zip-tying Intel stock coolers on graphics cards.

^^VW Bug - Make a Baja Buggy out of it!

I remember my ole 62 VW Bug from the farm.

14 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I second the bug idea. My girlfriends dad has built a few of these, they look sick. If you got sand dunes within a few hours too, its totally worth going. 

11 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

turbo + supercharger? Wow. Don't think i've seen that before

I wonder what supercharger that is. I've never seen one done on the intake side like that. Most of them are mounted above the exhaust manifold and just pipe into the stock intake.

I've never seen a twin charged Miata either, definitely caught my eye. I have no idea what supercharger that could be, I know it's not a Jackson Racing blower since that mounts exhaust side. I wish I could find more info on this thing 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

found a con on my new bike. (honda rebel 500)

It does not have a gear display soo im always constantly trying to shift beyond 6th gear -_-

lives on

BAKABT

11 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

It does not have a gear display soo im always constantly trying to shift beyond 6th gear -_-

Pro tip, learn how to count.

11 minutes ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

just keep track of it in your head? thats what i have done with my moped :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Pro tip, learn how to count.

lol true but only up to now i have been driving a H stick soo dont really need to count all about muscle memory. Maybe i should make counting gears a habbit xD 

lives on

BAKABT

Subwoofers vs. No subwoofers? Thinking of putting one in my 407, although with biting the bullet and getting an aftermarket HU as well. Not too hard about the bass anymore now i'm older but I want to know what people think!

7 hours ago, Canada EH said:

It's gonna be a ratty-looking autocross car if all things go as planned. First, I'll just get it on the road though. It's not been registered since the early eighties.

I like zip-tying Intel stock coolers on graphics cards.

5 minutes ago, Quibiss said:

I vote no, but I am a grumpy old man on the inside.

Also yesterday I topped out the RS for the first time on the Autobahn, 272 according to GPS. My new landspeed record :D Fuel economy around those speeds ~55l/100km. Burning dinosaurs at the speed of light, hell yeah.

There goes $30 worth of gas. xD