Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

What bike is that? :D

Also, congrats :D

Honda CMX 500 rebel,

thanks but i still need to go for my check ride and then go for my full licence  to permanently ride bikes :(

lives on

BAKABT

Huh. It never occured to me how well the halo and PPG aeroscreen could work once you blend it together. Perfectly takes care of small debris while having the protection against submarining and other large objects.

FqmcGhN.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Hah, @chaozbandit is German/Swiss/Austrian confirmed.

:D Exposed

i5 7600K / Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000/ Asus Prime Z270-P / beQuiet PowerZone 650W / Fractal Design Define S

240GB+480GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Alpenföhn Brocken Eco / Lioncast LK30 / Razer Deathadder 2013 / t.bone SC 440 / Plantronics RIG500 / Sennheiser CX 3.00

GROUP B - The Golden Era of Rallying :x

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1843 ($491 with sales)
  • Games owned: 129
  • Games played: 103 (79%)
  • Hours on record: 6,564.3h

Screenshot_20180413-124050_Snapchat.jpg

Snapchat-172434202.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

@MadyTehWolfie

Your comment about the miata reminding you of the RX-7 reminds me of a story back when they had come out with the RX-7 redesign in...1991 or so:

1200px-Mazda-RX-7-FD.jpg

I was looking for a new car at a Mazda dealership and saw a very shiny red one, almost totally flattened in the front.

I asked what had happened and the dealer told me they'd let a couple borrow it for the night, to see if they'd like it.

Come morning time, husband got into his monster SUV, and rolled right over it backing out of the driveway....

Must not have made that much of an impression on him....but he sure made an impression on the 7!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

@Mr.Dingle you want the invite back to discord?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

GOOD WEEKEND, ITS GOING TO BE

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

A. GOOD. WEEKEND.

NEW TRACK RECORDS

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

really good weekend ... World RX in Spain this weekend :D 

@chaozbandit

If anyone is interested ... live timings here http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/times

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Saw this today

IMG_20180414_132930.jpg

IMG_20180414_132936.jpg

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Meanwhile at Renault

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

Folding@Home | BOINC

I really like SuperGramps or the Stagea

i5 7600K / Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000/ Asus Prime Z270-P / beQuiet PowerZone 650W / Fractal Design Define S

240GB+480GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Alpenföhn Brocken Eco / Lioncast LK30 / Razer Deathadder 2013 / t.bone SC 440 / Plantronics RIG500 / Sennheiser CX 3.00

GROUP B - The Golden Era of Rallying :x

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1843 ($491 with sales)
  • Games owned: 129
  • Games played: 103 (79%)
  • Hours on record: 6,564.3h

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

soooo  ... it was slightly raining in Spain 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

LETS. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Folding@Home | BOINC

8 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

It's super easy to get out of a ticket. When the ossifer pulls you over and asks "Where's the fire?"

you simply say "In your dreamy blue eyes."

He'll let you go....

;-)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

What are the LCD screens on the sides for?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

@Real_PhillBert also @NinJake if you ever consider doing a catch can if you havent already 

Novice mechanic attempts boomba Dual catch can install (shift plates and bushings too but that comes later)

Overall rating: 4/5 stars

Tl;Dr Pay attention to what you order. Installation is otherwise straightforward, though no documentation is provided other than a video.

Spoiler

So I was looking at doing the stage 2 (pcv) side can and a lot of people suggested to do both, so I threw the stage 1 (ccv) in my cart as long with a boomba shift package which isn't fully installed so that will be excluded.

Delivery:
From Illinois to NY took 11 days.... 7 of those days however were for Boomba to ship the order out. So while their response was slow, UPS shipping was solid.

Packaging:
BOOOOO PACKING PEANUTS MEH! Other than that, everything was very well wrapped in bubble wrap, including the pieces in bags (seemed a bit excessive but okay) I was a bit annoyed that boomba's labels staples on the top of their bags did not list exactly what pieces were for (I care because two sets of shift bushing were grouped together in one label and I wasn't sure which set was which initially. As a novice this makes it less clear what is what. I wasn't even sure if there was a difference between the stage 1and 2 cans)

Quality
The cans themselves are top notch. The machined quality is very good, brackets feel sturdy, there are lots of fittings (more on that later) and the drain port is nice. However, I was disappointed that these came out a lighter blue than what's shown on the website. While they do have a disclaimer for it, I do have to point out my stage 2 catch can parts all matched, but my stage 1 catch can was the light blue, but the bracket and fittings were the darker blue (closer to the car color) I wouldn't complain so much about the colors not matching the photo since they had a disclaimer, but they should at least match the kit that goes with it! The stage 1 brackets and fittings can't be seen though, so it's a minor complaint in the end however, still a - 1.

Documentation
None. You get nothing. There's no write up on the catch can system. In fact of the 5 separate items that I purchased (CC stage 1, stage 2, bushings, shifter plate shifter arm) only the shifter arm had an installation guide via PDF. The rest all have videos, which wouldn't be so bad if the videos were not so detailed lacking. It's obvious that boomba is targeting a more informed and experienced crowd, and while that's great and everything, Tom the novice from NY is getting his hands dirty and needs a bit more "This is a throttle body" specification in some spots of the video. Fortunately I often watch multiple install videos and gathered much more info from other videos about general knowledge of the cars engine systems and what the hell a sound symposer is (which I happened to know, and had completed before the install, but was lacking anywhere else other than a notice on the product page)

Edit: I finally found documentation on the Catch can systems. They were not showing up properly on my phone, but they stood out clearly on my computer.

Installation:
If you have a 2013 or 2014 mk3, you're set. The videos are spot on to what you will encounter and everything should only take a few hours. HOWEVER, IF YOU HAVE A 2015+ like I do, the intake ccv side changed, and has a new sensor as well as different fittings. I DID NOT SEE THIS NOTICE since I just threw the product in my shopping cart because I assumed (that's my bad) that 2013+ meant I was good. What boomba should do is make a 2013-2014 stage 1 catch can and a 2015+ system with the correct fittings. I was fortunately able to borrow a vehicle and get 1/2" ID rubber tube and another 3/8" to 1/2" adapter and was able to continue. The stage 2 had no differences, so if your main concern is that one, no worries.

Overall/Conclusion
This was my first boomba experience. So far I am mildly satisfied. There are some noob errors on my end (I dropped one of the intake manifold bolts and had to jack the car up to get the splash pan off to get it out1f602.png?) but also some things boomba could do to improve the experience for the end user, especially for us who are getting into cars for the first time. From little things like packing peanuts and labels to bigger things like separating 2013/2014 stage 1 can systems from 2015+, boomba has a ways to go before I could be considered a fan boy of them. I cannot complain with the final result though, and if the shift bushings and plate are any indication, I'm gonna love the finished product when I get the shift arm in!

20180414_160208.jpg

42 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

What are the LCD screens on the sides for?

They're just LEDs; position in class panels, colour coded for class as well. Usually also shows pit stop intervals when in the pit lane.

Folding@Home | BOINC