Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

8 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Not sure. I personally thought the original tint on my car (which was similar) was hard to see out of at night, so possibly that reason... (But the car does have a back up cam soooo)

I've got darkest legal tints here and I can see out fine in a normally lit area, obvs if theres no lighting you cant see shit out of it

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

10 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Hmm. Lets look at the list of shit wrong with the S10 right now.

- Intermittent lifter tick

- no cruise control

- no keyless entry

- the bulbs in the window buttons and door locks are out

and my oil cooler lines are leaking again. I already did away with the factory ones that started leaking real bad, these ones held for a while but next oil change i'm going to pull     them back off, dry the fititngs, and run a bead of rtv around the barb, reinstall the line, then let that dry overnight before pouring in the oil.

- there was something else too...

I need to clean it out. shits nasty

Oh right. No heat.

keyless entry might be gone bc the module might be defective or broken. cruise control look for relays or maybe a fault in the entire system. and the bulbs in the window switches might be a tad difficult but not impossible.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

https://imgur.com/gallery/QOaRv

Delorean road trip to Back to the future filming locations

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

Keyless entry is because of the fob, the cruise control module has a stepper motor in it thats most likly killed itself, the bulbs in the switches are burnt out, an not socketed, and i really don't wanna deal with led converting them so i'm not about to take them apart. New drivers side is $80, passenger is $40. 

I think around my birthday I'm gonna get everything fixed up. Tomorrow its going in to Get the heater core fixed. 

Tomorrow? I thought you're still in cali?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wow I haven't been on here in a while. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

10 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Good luck

Coolant service and power steering service on top of that.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

12 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Hmm. Lets look at the list of shit wrong with the S10 right now.

- Intermittent lifter tick

- no cruise control

- no keyless entry

- the bulbs in the window buttons and door locks are out

and my oil cooler lines are leaking again. I already did away with the factory ones that started leaking real bad, these ones held for a while but next oil change i'm going to pull     them back off, dry the fititngs, and run a bead of rtv around the barb, reinstall the line, then let that dry overnight before pouring in the oil.

- there was something else too...

I need to clean it out. shits nasty

Oh right. No heat.

Darn, what happen to that S10?

I had a Sonoma (basically a rebadge S10 under GMC) when I was in California.  Was my first pickup and a pretty solid straight 4 cyl block too.  At least that thing was easier to work on than the pain in the arse 6 cyl Pathfinder I got later (I want to straggle the peep who thought putting the last two plugs way far in the back near the firewall...).  Darn, radiator hoses where a pain to replace too on that Pathfinder.

Any way, I need to get around and wire this amp into my truck, if the darn weather stop dumping rain about every other day.

Going to wire in the amp, but setup where I can easily move the wires to the DSP I will add later to clean up the signal off the head unit.  Aka, soldering XT-60 connectors onto all the wires.  Fun part going to be taking apart the Tacoma's dash and the driver seat out so I can route wires properly.  Think I will pre place the sub wires so I don't have to re tear the seats out when I add the sub and mono amp in later.  First off, order some connectors, wire distributor blocks, and Tessa tape to help make this a clean install.

IMG_20171227_131107132.thumb.jpg.afa2a315692e198408a7c86d486f20f7.jpg

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

We just got rid of our Sonoma. It was rusted to shit and falling apart due to how much use it got as a truck and the fact that Winters here are brutal on anything metal. Was damn good though while we had it. Did everything and more :)

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

So, in Europe (I think) the rule is a motorcyclist must ride as near as possible to the curb. Wtf. I do understand that if a motorcyclist rides closer to the right side of the road a car can easily overtake them, but that's the problem, in my opinion. Riders should ride in a dominant position, like, on the left most half of the lane, like, on the middle of that half, if you understand what I mean...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

We just got rid of our Sonoma. It was rusted to shit and falling apart due to how much use it got as a truck and the fact that Winters here are brutal on anything metal. Was damn good though while we had it. Did everything and more :)

Will you be getting something to replace it?

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

10 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

So, in Europe (I think) the rule is a motorcyclist must ride as near as possible to the curb. Wtf. I do understand that if a motorcyclist rides closer to the right side of the road a car can easily overtake them, but that's the problem, in my opinion. Riders should ride in a dominant position, like, on the left most half of the lane, like, on the middle of that half, if you understand what I mean...

Where I am, Motorcycles, bikes, mopeds, etc are considered the same as other vehicles in terms of the road. If you want to overtake it? Sucks to be you if its a 2 lane with a double line :) 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

9 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Will you be getting something to replace it?

Looking at a slightly larger truck or a minivan with the back having a cargo interior instead of seats. Most of its use in its later years was for hauling stuff to the dump or things like drywall, wood, sinks, washers, etc to rental houses.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

RAINBOWS!!!

3 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Nothing happened to it. Its ben a hella solid truck. Just about 20 years old and had a 177k on it. I got it three years ago with 133k. Taken it aound the country once an I'd like to do it again. Its done lots of dump runs, pulled a fe different trailers, a cube enclosed one, one made out of a garage door, and its pulled the boat i got. 

I think the most i've had in the bed was 1,000 pounds of clay. Also had I think a cubic yard of dirt in it too.

Ah, you put some good use on it then.

When I had the Sonoma 4 cyl, I one time pulled a hot tub down the highway in California.  Hehe, talk about people staying very far away.

2 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Those little pickups are some solid little buggers for sure.  Wish the vehicle manufacturers bring back such small pickups.

O well, went with 17 Tacoma.  It not bad, but darn it is big compare to the older models.  At least there enough after market kits for these trucks to keep me somewhat happy.

Any way, hope this year to start cleaning up the C10 Chevy (needs a lot of work done to it).  Still not sure if I want to go sleeper style on it or set it up as a sweet off road truck.  But first, go on another deployment so I can have the cash to fix it.

35 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

That sounds odd, at least to me.  Around here in most States motorcycles are suppose to be afforded the same lane rights as a vehicle.  Though, you got the dumb nuts that think they can shove motorcycles out of the way.  Then again, there dumb nuts down here that try to shove similar or larger size vehicles out of their way.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

Ah, you put some good use on it then.

When I had the Sonoma 4 cyl, I one time pulled a hot tub down the highway in California.  Hehe, talk about people staying very far away.

Those little pickups are some solid little buggers for sure.  Wish the vehicle manufacturers bring back such small pickups.

O well, went with 17 Tacoma.  It not bad, but darn it is big compare to the older models.  At least there enough after market kits for these trucks to keep me somewhat happy.

Any way, hope this year to start cleaning up the C10 Chevy (needs a lot of work done to it).  Still not sure if I want to go sleeper style on it or set it up as a sweet off road truck.  But first, go on another deployment so I can have the cash to fix it.

That sounds odd, at least to me.  Around here in most States motorcycles are suppose to be afforded the same lane rights as a vehicle.  Though, you got the dumb nuts that think they can shove motorcycles out of the way.  Then again, there dumb nuts down here that try to shove similar or larger size vehicles out of their way.

remind me, what trim did you get again? and i kinda want my dad to get a tacoma to replace our minivan bc tbh we have no use for a 7 seater minivan anymore.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

remind me, what trim did you get again? and i kinda want my dad to get a tacoma to replace our minivan bc tbh we have no use for a 7 seater minivan anymore.

I just have a SR5 with tow package.  Nothing fancy since I rather have less stuff to worry about breaking.  Plus, keeps my monthly payments manageable.

Any way, I do have plans to get that nice ICON 2.75 inch bolt-on kit later to put on the truck, but first going to use the stock tires and shocks up.  No point wasting money until I use what I have on the truck already.  Plus, first order of business is getting a nice bed cover for the truck.  Preferable one that locks into its tail gate.

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I just have a SR5 with tow package.  Nothing fancy since I rather have less stuff to worry about breaking.  Plus, keeps my monthly payments manageable.

Any way, I do have plans to get that nice ICON 2.75 inch bolt-on kit later to put on the truck, but first going to use the stock tires and shocks up.  No point wasting money until I use what I have on the truck already.  Plus, first order of business is getting a nice bed cover for the truck.  Preferable one that locks into its tail gate.

Yeah a locking bed cover is a good investment, so your stuff doesn't have a chance of being snatched while sitting in traffic. And is it a 4wd truck or just 2wd?

9 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Yeah a locking bed cover is a good investment, so your stuff doesn't have a chance of being snatched while sitting in traffic. And is it a 4wd truck or just 2wd?

Just 2WD, 4WD is nice, but I don't do any super crazy off road stuff, plus I am so use to using 2WDs in off road environments.  Use to deer hunt in a GMC van and an old station wagon.  All those where 2WD, and me and my Dad would drive right through a muddy creek and up steep hills.  Just boils down to knowing the limits of the vehicle and how to handle it in such environments.

I still need to take my truck for a good off road trip considering it is deer hunting season down here at the moment.  Getting low on that meat in the freezer.

19 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Isn't the Ecoboost 2.0 block a similar design as Mazda's 2.0L blocks?

No they are different in design. Only similarities come from displacement and possibly bore and stroke but nothing else. If they were similar you'd see more Ecoboost mustangs blowing with stock power. Meanwhile Ford offers the power pack on the mustangs that doesn't voide the warranty that makes 90-100 torque and about 50-60 hp over stock. Only think I can think of is possibly having to replace the water pump at around 80k miles. Had to do that on my mom's 1.5 Ecoboost motor.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

My private mechanic had to replace the whole joint assembly, but after everything with power steering service and coolant service, he only charged me $250. The Honda dealership wanted to charge me over $400 and that was only for the lower joints with the other services. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

33 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

No they are different in design. Only similarities come from displacement and possibly bore and stroke but nothing else. If they were similar you'd see more Ecoboost mustangs blowing with stock power. Meanwhile Ford offers the power pack on the mustangs that doesn't voide the warranty that makes 90-100 torque and about 50-60 hp over stock. Only think I can think of is possibly having to replace the water pump at around 80k miles. Had to do that on my mom's 1.5 Ecoboost motor.

Behold the oddness of skyactiv engines:

6DC2163D-8C09-4B48-AF1E-2432765ED957.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

20 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Isn't the Ecoboost 2.0 block a similar design as Mazda's 2.0L blocks?

according to a quick wikipedia look up, only the block is. not anything else.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

54 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Ecoboost mustangs use the 2.3, unless they shrunk over the years. only the focus st uses the 2.0 ecoboost motor.

Just now, terrytek said:

Ecoboost mustangs use the 2.3, unless they shrunk over the years. only the focus st uses the 2.0 ecoboost motor.

Mazda has 2.0 and 2.3 liter turbo engines. Hence the similarities but in the end the Eco boost motors are different compared to the Mazda ones. For one they don't break with stock power outputs, use different turbos, ect.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

24 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Behold the oddness of skyactiv engines:

6DC2163D-8C09-4B48-AF1E-2432765ED957.jpeg

That is pretty weird!

17 minutes ago, vetali said:

according to a quick wikipedia look up, only the block is. not anything else.

Maybe the bore/stroke is the same. It's supposed to be a different engine. Only other thing I could think of being similar would be the cooling design. Not much else though.

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Mazda has 2.0 and 2.3 liter turbo engines. Hence the similarities but in the end the Eco boost motors are different compared to the Mazda ones. For one they don't break with stock power outputs, use different turbos, ect.

I didn't even know Mazda had a 2.0 liter turbo motor. I only knew about the 2.3, and those of course are notorious for popping blocks. But I think both the Mazda and the ford iterations of the 2.3 are equally prone to breaking on stock power.