Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Anyone here Stateside want to buy a Flensburger Weizen and tell me what the taste is? It was bar none the worst beer I've ever had and I don't know if I got a bad bottle or if the imported one sucks.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Looked up slang for mechanic on urban thesaurus for fun.

Here are my favorites

Spanner wanker

Camshafter

Trimtard

Techanic

There were also unrelated words in the results such as "Turtle lesbo" and "Illegal mexican"...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

anybody know where i can get a pressure washer for cheap? i wanna add some serious foam to my car wash, but pressure washers at like sears are cost prohibitive.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why am I like this? 

IMG_20161105_204333.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

13 minutes ago, terrytek said:

anybody know where i can get a pressure washer for cheap? i wanna add some serious foam to my car wash, but pressure washers at like sears are cost prohibitive.

Budget? 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

46 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Budget? 

probably at most 100. i plan on using the pressure washer to wash cars really, and maybe clean my driveways if it gets grimy.

34 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Craigslist

i could, but for whatever is in my budget might be just beat up.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well there's not much to wear out. Just fire it up and test it before you buy it. Get it home and change the oil. It'll run forever   

really? i'm pretty sure there are some models of pressure washers that won't run forever.

Just said to heck with it and stuck the H9s in my car. Adjusted the aim a bit, and walked up front a bit to check the glare. Such an improvement, especially in regards to peripheral vision. 

While technically, these bulbs are brighter than my high beams, in practice, the two complement each other very well. I don't feel like I have to lean on the high beams to see well. And the cutoff is well defined. While glare above the cutoff is no worse than with the stock bulbs, the unfortunate that are below will probably get blasted good. An unfortunate reality of the hills as even OEM'S HID fall into the same problem. :(

Will probably keep these in for the rest of the fall/winter. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well if you don't buy a POS you'll be fine. 

@Strando123 what small engines are good that you'd find on a used pressure washer?

i was thinking something along the lines of this http://modesto.craigslist.org/tls/5798630102.html but all it needs is a throttle kill cable. i have no experience with small engines, so idk what that is, but i assume it's cheap.

56 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i was thinking something along the lines of this http://modesto.craigslist.org/tls/5798630102.html but all it needs is a throttle kill cable. i have no experience with small engines, so idk what that is, but i assume it's cheap.

I wouldn't want a gas one. When I buy one for washing the cars and cleaning stuff around here I'm picking this up

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-2-000-PSI-1-2-GPM-Cold-Water-Electric-Pressure-Washer/50353386

But this should be good for your needs honestly, and it's the same price, but obvi brand new

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-1-600-PSI-1-2-GPM-Cold-Water-Electric-Pressure-Washer/50353388

4 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I wouldn't want a gas one. When I buy one for washing the cars and cleaning stuff around here I'm picking this up

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-2-000-PSI-1-2-GPM-Cold-Water-Electric-Pressure-Washer/50353386

But this should be good for your needs honestly, and it's the same price, but obvi brand new

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-1-600-PSI-1-2-GPM-Cold-Water-Electric-Pressure-Washer/50353388

i think i'll go with the 1600psi version, since it's more than adequate for my needs. but i've never used a pressure washer. how do you get water into it? i'm assuming you hook it up to a normal hose? or what's the deal? i've never used one in my life before.

Maaaaaaaan there's a good sized storm headed my way. I hope it rains but I really don't want hail. I parked far and don't want to move the truck. :(

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

i think i'll go with the 1600psi version, since it's more than adequate for my needs. but i've never used a pressure washer. how do you get water into it? i'm assuming you hook it up to a normal hose? or what's the deal? i've never used one in my life before.

Just hook it up to a hose and make sure the washer is plugged in 

Any tips to get state inspection stickers off of the windshield? The car was previously in a state that requires a sticker. But Indiana doesn't need them and it's kinda ripped and just looks awful. Any recommendations to for sure get a state inspection off the windshield? 

41 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You don't want too much pressure. It hooks up to a hose then the motor spins a pump. If you have too much pressure you'll strip the clear coat, and WAAAYYY too much and you'll blast the paint right off the body (I may have run into that issue cleaning the service pickup at work last year) 

I would get a decent used gas one. But you do you. The wand is going to wear your arms out. So understand that. It's an issue with any pressure washer is going to have. 

Chrisfix used a 1700psi pressure washer to wash his drift stang , it worked amazingly, keep at least a foot (I'd recommend further) from the paint and it was great 

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I was about a foot and a half washing the work truck and a chunk the size of half my fist flew off the fender :/ 

not it really sure what happened. Maybe the GPH was higher? I don't know but I don't like using pressure washers anymore. They do work really well though. Maybe Ford Fleet White just isn't super high quality :P

I'll be picking up the same one he used in his video. It earned amazingly for him and its decently cheap. Along with picking up a foam cannon. I'll basically follow all of his super clean tutorials at least once with the Saab and keep up with it from there. 

What upsets me is unless I bring it up my mom doesn't care enough to wash the Impala. She has washed it once, maybe twice since she's owned it (5 years) by wash I mean take it threw a drive through wash. After I deep clean the Saab I'll try to convince her to get the Impala all cleaned up nicely

Another thing, we all know that in a NA vehicle if it doesn't require premium, putting premium in won't do anything . I was wondering if in my turbocharged car I put in 93 octane would I gain any power at all? I know my car only needs 87 octane, but I've got 93 all around me as an option so I'm trying to figure out if I make the change if the only change I'll see is in my wallet

TL:DR If I put premium in a boosted car that only requires regular fuel is there a difference?

4 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Any tips to get state inspection stickers off of the windshield? The car was previously in a state that requires a sticker. But Indiana doesn't need them and it's kinda ripped and just looks awful. Any recommendations to for sure get a state inspection off the windshield? 

Hot air gun, a razor blade and patience.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Oof those rotiforms!

Larry_Chen_Speedhunters_liberty_walk_mcl

Who wants to come up to Canada and let me shoot rolling shots of their car? I'll need a driver as well, ofc.

Larry_Chen_Speedhunters_liberty_walk_mclLarry_Chen_Speedhunters_liberty_walk_mcl

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

*Drops mic*

13627154_267985010241269_2190470905610689950_n.jpg

My Specs

• Current Machine 2021 - 20XX
    • CPU: Intel i9 11900KF 3.5 GHz 8 Core 16 Thread
    • Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB AIO
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590 VISION G
    • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo (Black/White) 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 @3600 MHz CL18
    • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Vision OC
    • SSD: 2x 2TB Intel 660p NVMe SSDs & 1x Samsung 860 QVO 2.5 SSD
    • HDD: 2x WD Black 4TB HDDs & 2x Segate 2TB HDDs
    • PSU: SeaSonic PRIME 1300 W 80+ Platinum

• Retired Machine 2017 - 2021: Lenovo S20 Thinkstation 
    • CPU: Intel Xeon X5690 3.46Ghz
    • Motherboard: OEM Lenovo S20 Z79 MBO
    • RAM: 48GB (6x8GB) UDIMM DDR3
    • GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
    • SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
    • HDD: 2x Segate 7200rpm 2TB