Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

i think im going to build one of these instead of a rotary, i might make a rotary eventually but im going to start with one of these.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=10240

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

How i felt when i drove into my parking lot at home today

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

How i felt when i drove into my parking lot at home today

Did you see the side markers I'll be ordering for the Saab?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

12 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Haha. Glad you made it. Are your tires shot or something? No seasons? 

The snow was just falling down in chunks. (I mean i did say snowstorm yesterday) 

My tyres are good if the snow clearing crews can actually clear the snow and put down the salt to get the ice off. 

To give you an idea of what i was dealing with.

The bank behind the car is about the same height as the brake lights.

cUi5wl8.jpg

And this is what the car was covered in.

5pq0Zcn.jpg

Went out of the door at work at 14:58. Was home at 16:14... My commute usually takes 38 minutes.

The "low traction" light was having a seizure 

Snow clearing crews were working around the clock and barely made any progress until now when the storm is fucking off.

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

9 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Did you see the side markers I'll be ordering for the Saab?

I don't think so

Just now, techswede said:

I don't think so

I reckon they'd look pretty good on your Camaro, they have a silver option also instead of black

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=3621

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

I reckon they'd look pretty good on your Camaro, they have a silver option also instead of black

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=3621

Probably just going to get stock amber ones. 

saab_9-5_2000_blinkers_sidoblinkers.jpg

The ones you posted look neat. Just not my kind of thing.

I don't like the clear ones either. 

Probably just going to get stock amber ones. 

saab_9-5_2000_blinkers_sidoblinkers.jpg

The ones you posted look neat. Just not my kind of thing.

I don't like the clear ones either. 

Makes sense, funny enough, the US spec Camaros don't have those at all. Just the EU spec

I wonder if GM used the same fenders and replaced the badges on US spec fenders or how that all worked

(US spec car for reference)

1993camaroz28.jpg

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Makes sense, funny enough, the US spec Camaros don't have those at all. Just the EU spec

I wonder if GM used the same fenders and replaced the badges on US spec fenders or how that all worked

(US spec car for reference)

My car is from the US xD 

The side indicators were added by the importer. With a drill. Which is why they are from a saab

Base camaros don't have side badges (I think) 

My car is from the US xD 

The side indicators were added by the importer. With a drill. Which is why they are from a saab

Oh, interesting. Funny how that works out. Are Camaros common at all over there?

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

Oh, interesting. Funny how that works out. Are Camaros common at all over there?

I've seen two in person. In my life. Gen 4s anyway

Earlier camaros are a lot more common and there were quite a few gen 4s for sale when i bought mine.

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

I've seen two in person. In my life. Gen 4s anyway

Earlier camaros are a lot more common and there were quite a few gen 4s for sale when i bought mine.

I find it kinda funny that they're ridiculously common here, and many people buy them as winter beaters or drift projects and just give those cars hell. But Saabs are super rare where I live and of course they're super common where you are

My neighbor down the street actually has multiple camaros, couple 4th gens, a second gen, and in the summer he dailys a 5th gen. I'm not sure what his winter car is. He moved in in the spring and setup shop then of course

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

I find it kinda funny that they're ridiculously common here, and many people buy them as winter beaters or drift projects and just give those cars hell. But Saabs are super rare where I live and of course they're super common where you are

Here its a really odd car. And saabs are everywhere. EVERYWHERE 

5 minutes ago, techswede said:

Here its a really odd car. And saabs are everywhere. EVERYWHERE 

I didn't realize yours had about 200HP, always thought the V6 Camaros had less power than that. I can understand why people make them drift projects now for that reason alone. I'll be honest with you, I'm not crazy about the styling of them, they always looked like Catfish to me, same with the new GT86. Something about cars that look like animals throws me off so much

b22597ff9044eca7cdeaadd184be212f39ce81a515797bc626835c2feb045e38_1.jpg

2018 Toyota GT86 Specifications and Powertrain.png

I didn't realize yours had about 200HP, always thought the V6 Camaros had less power than that. I can understand why people make them drift projects now for that reason alone. I'll be honest with you, I'm not crazy about the styling of them, they always looked like Catfish to me, same with the new GT86. Something about cars that look like animals throws me off so much

199bhp and around 300nms of torque. It'll slide whenever you want it to (With a locking diff in the back it would be a lot easier though) 

Multilink rear suspension and a live axle means it might slide when you don't want it to too. Like today.

I like my catfish. Hated the mirrors at first but now it has really grown on me. But eh. Different strokes for different folks.

199bhp and around 300nms of torque. It'll slide whenever you want it to (With a locking diff in the back it would be a lot easier though) 

Multilink rear suspension and a live axle means it might slide when you don't want it to too. Like today.

I like my catfish. Hated the mirrors at first but now it has really grown on me. But eh. Different strokes for different folks.

I'd honestly like one as a project if that front end was a bit different. But a lot of cars I didn't like the looks of grew on me overtime. Maybe the 4th Gen will be the next car to do that for me. Maybe pick up a similar year Firebird, I quite like how they look. Stuff like this is super common around here

http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/5850975137.html

I'd honestly like one as a project if that front end was a bit different. But a lot of cars I didn't like the looks of grew on me overtime. Maybe the 4th Gen will be the next car to do that for me. Maybe pick up a similar year Firebird, I quite like how they look. Stuff like this is super common around here

http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/5850975137.html

In the US i suspect it would be a cheap way to buy something with some horsepower. Maybe a WS6 trans am? 

I kind of dig the WS6. The styling is just insane xD 

maxresdefault.jpg

Might look for one as my first V8 car. Or a late model camaro SS.  (I think the WS6 had the LT1 and the camaro has the LS)

In the US i suspect it would be a cheap way to buy something with some horsepower. Maybe a WS6 trans am? 

maxresdefault.jpg

Might look for one as my first V8 car. Or a late model camaro SS.  (I think the WS6 had the LT1 and the camaro has the LS)

I really want a 5.7L 3rd Gen Firebird in gray with the Gold wheels. That's my ideal muscle car project. But remember I'm more often than not going to stick to the Japanese side of things. Maybe I should look into more American cars for a project for cheap power. Having grown up around them they seem so mundane, But I live in an area where most people keep things bone stock. So maybe that's why I never saw their potential until lately

7 minutes ago, techswede said:

*SNIP*

Sad story: A friend of mine from high school built up a WS6 Trans-Am with a big single turbo on an LS7 making just shy of 900 whp. Unfortunately when he was dialing the car in he had a fuel pressure loss, so he called a tow to bring it back home. Someone cut the tow truck off and the car ended up falling off of the truck on the highway. :(

The car was obviously a total loss. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

what size piston would be used in a 10mm cylinder? (inner diameter is 10mm)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

9 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

what size piston would be used in a 10mm cylinder? (inner diameter is 10mm)

What are your manufacturing tolerances?

Also you should probably be designing around standard bearing sizes, so your bore seems pretty small.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

What are your manufacturing tolerances?

Also you should probably be designing around standard bearing sizes, so your bore seems pretty small.

i was thinking of making a single cylinder 1.25cc two stroke diesel. (guess i wont be doing that then...)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

7 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

i was thinking of making a single cylinder 1.25cc two stroke diesel. (guess i wont be doing that then...)

That might be tough, I doubt you'll be able to find bearings small enough but I could be wrong. 

What's your plan for fueling? might want to plan your displacement around the smallest carburetor you can find. RC cars maybe?

9 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

That might be tough, I doubt you'll be able to find bearings small enough but I could be wrong. 

What's your plan for fueling? might want to plan your displacement around the smallest carburetor you can find. RC cars maybe?

im using this as a "guide" and im thinking of adapting the carb from an old 1.5cc diesel model aeroplane engine.

2 takt diesel.jpg

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

27 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

TIL two-stroke diesels are a thing

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1