Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

express van would be everything I could ask for. Can haul parts around, tow anything I could possibly need, it can hold an engine and tranny no problem, and with the van and a 7.5x16 trailer or an 8x20 or 22 or 24 foot trailer I can do haulaway and move cars around.

Why not a pickup truck instead?

2 minutes ago, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

Why not a pickup truck instead?

because then in traffic, people can't nick whatever cargo you have.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

True though dont have that problem with random scummers in traffic stealing peoples shit in traffic. How would they even do it fast enough to get away anyway?

Just now, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

True though dont have that problem with random scummers in traffic stealing peoples shit in traffic. How would they even do it fast enough to get away anyway?

well, in seriously dense traffic, like metro areas with dense roads, it can be possible for people to steal shit out of the truck bed and just run off with it. of course, you can run after him, but it's not worth it tbh.

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Cost, and I can't get parts shelves in the back (usually already in it) to store parts on, and the deck hight is usually gonna be a bit higher so loading and unloading is going to be harder. 

Availability on the diesel vans is a lot lower. Its hard to find one in decent shape. Millage is another factor. I don't care too much on this for mechanical reasons, but the amount of ass sweat in the seat is a lot higher, so what little interior is in these, is gonna be beat to hell by the time it hits 350k.

And you're looking at $15k minimum with the diesels (which if I were to buy Ford I would only get the 7.3 power stroke. If its gas its going to be the V10 or the V8, the v8 being the weaksause one.

Chevy vans are going to be the 5.3 if its 1500 series, and the 6.0 if its 2500 or 3500 and gas. which are better motors than the 5.4 V8 IMO. Can pick them up between 6 to 12k.

so maybe just compromise and find a cheap v8 gas van? maybe just rip out the stock seats and put a pair of recaros?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

well, in seriously dense traffic, like metro areas with dense roads, it can be possible for people to steal shit out of the truck bed and just run off with it. of course, you can run after him, but it's not worth it tbh.

so maybe just compromise and find a cheap v8 gas van? maybe just rip out the stock seats and put a pair of recaros?

Wow there really are a lot of scummers around then!

Holy sh!t the badassest badass is dayling his charger..... HE DRIVES A CHARGER EVERY DAY! EVEN DURING THE WINTER, ON SNOW AND ICE??!!!?!??!!!!  (Reason: i know him and sendt him a message last night asking if he had to move his charger cause i saw it on the highway, today he responded with "No, its my dayli")

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

In traffic? Lmao. I would pay to see someone jack an engine out of my bed while I'm stopped at a red light. That would be Payday levels of ridiculousness.

Also, these exist. Metal, and locking.

163_0802_29z+truck_bed_cover_buyers_guid

58 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Holy sh!t the badassest badass is dayling his charger..... HE DRIVES A CHARGER EVERY DAY! EVEN DURING THE WINTER, ON SNOW AND ICE??!!!?!??!!!!  (Reason: i know him and sendt him a message last night asking if he had to move his charger cause i saw it on the highway, today he responded with "No, its my dayli")

Yeeeeeaaaaaaah? It's like dailying any other RWD vehicle. :P

2 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

I reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally

want one of these

7d5909debee54f361fbcd2f087746bad.png

Don't need a 3500 series, but a 2500 express van would be everything I could ask for. Can haul parts around, tow anything I could possibly need, it can hold an engine and tranny no problem, and with the van and a 7.5x16 trailer or an 8x20 or 22 or 24 foot trailer I can do haulaway and move cars around.

they're as perfect as perfect gets for what I need.

Only issue is they're spendy

Rather have a 7.3 like Orion from Haggard. Does some mean burnouts too

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

You know it's real when she sends you S13s, E36s, and AE86s for sale throughout the day. I neeeeed one so badly

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

It's even a pignose. This is like my dream S13 chassis looks wise

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5864753154.html

Anyone have any recommendations so I can replace this? I actually don't have this speaker at all and would rather find a cheaper alternative that will just be a straight plug and screw in

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/65343/Speaker-Front-Center-Prestige-4619086/

6 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Anyone have any recommendations so I can replace this? I actually don't have this speaker at all and would rather find a cheaper alternative that will just be a straight plug and screw in

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/65343/Speaker-Front-Center-Prestige-4619086/

Find a wiring diagram for the speaker and see if you can get a similar pinout for a different speaker and wire it together?

Gosh darn.... I had to crank the poor lathe at school to a whopping 2100 rippums, she was singin' like a hot nurse. 

(AvE refferences)

But seriously, a lathe with a broken gearbox (that has been shoddily patched together with a mash-up of old and new parts from various discarded lathes) is scary at 2100rpm, screaming, clunking, ticking, scraping and the rpm meter started fluctuating wildly after a few seconds. I dont want to go above 1500rpm with "franken-lathe again".....

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Goodbye $85 with shipping

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=3942

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=3621

My hazard button loves to fall into the dash, the plastic surround on it is broken so it just falls in, so I finally found a replacement part. Man this car is going to be more expensive than I thought. Need my grandfather to have a day off so I can head to his house, get the broken relay out of the car, do an oil change, and then throw the new side markers on. He's got basically every tool under the sun and a heater garage. That will come in so handy

16 hours ago, Strando123 said:

I just spotted the badassest badass of all the badassest badasses, a guy was driving a 68/69 Dodge charger on the highway ON ICY ROADS IN A SNOWSTORM this guy is the legitimately badassest badass ever.

Don't see anything wrong with that. It's a tank and probably handles the snow quite well. With the proper tires, most cars are totally manageable in winter conditions. ;) My 89 Supra with a set of snows was amazing in the slippery stuff. 

11 hours ago, warmmilk said:

good news and bad news

good news:

my sister is getting married and my parents wanna buy her a car as a wedding gift, so looks like I'll be getting the RSX back!  I'm thinking of turning it into a rallyx car...  (autox version of rally, not a global rallycross 600hp awd monster).  

basically get softer springs for the fortune auto coilovers on there, raise it up for ground clearance, and some snow tires on 16" wheels... or something.  how much are real rally tires anyway? and where would I buy them?

It has 10k/14k springs on it now, initial thought was to move the 10k to the rear and get something softer for the front.  but I think the spring is too long..

will also pick up a cheap exhaust for it.  it has a longtube no cat header on it with stock exhaust, everyone is saying its choking like 15-20whp.  I'll need to get a retune for it anyway for max power, I had it tuned for max fuel economy for my sister (was getting like 30-32mpg!)

bad news:

the built NA 2.5 engines don't seem to be performing as promised.  a guy on the east coast dyno'd his and put down 178 whp on a dynojet that supposedly reads 10% too low, so 196ish.  kinda pathetic for a cammed and high compression engine.  I drove the one local one, although they're still tweaking the tune, but its nowhere near the 220-230whp promised.  I mean its really torque in the mid range, but it has no top end.  It doesn't feel any faster than my car from 5500 to redline.  The RSX feels faster, it does a real 200whp and its ~300lb heavier...

So I'm waiting to see what the local Miata will actually do once the tune is 100% complete.  if it doesn't make at least 220whp dynojet I'm not gonna do that swap.  I'm thinking an internally stock 2.5 with a Kraftwerks SC and their lowest boost pulley.  that should easily give me 220-250whp, lots of torque, and relatively low stress on the engine.

@bcredeur97 @vinyldash303 @AlwaysFSX @chaozbandit @terrytek @MEC-777

ps.

do you guys get notifications if I add your tags as edits?  I almost always forget when writing a post then edit and add the tags

Yes, I get notifications when tagged. ;) 

Sounds like a cool project for the RSX. Keep us updated if you move ahead with it. 

As for the 2.5L - don't bother. Those engines weren't really designed for "performance" even though that's how they are marketed. They make good mid-range torque which is nice, but that's only really good for diving in traffic on the street. I suspect the heads don't flow all that great and that's probably where they are hitting the power wall. Not a great engine to build up, IMO. 

If you're looking for more power, have you considered going turbo or SC? Or do you want to stay NA? 

Would be more work, but there's the Honda F20C from the S2000 as another option?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Anyone here know where i could find some plans for a small single rotor Rotary? (I want to build one as a project at school)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 minute ago, Strando123 said:

Anyone here know where i could find some plans for a small single rotor Rotary? (I want to build one as a project at school)

One-rotor housings are hard to come by but if you wanted something that will work out of the box:

http://www.atkinsrotary.com/index.php?pag=14

OneRotor4.gif

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

18 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

One-rotor housings are hard to come by but if you wanted something that will work out of the box:

http://www.atkinsrotary.com/index.php?pag=14

i want to BUILD an engine, i have acsess to cnc machines, lathes, milling machines, computer controlled lathes and 3d printers. as a project for school i want to machine and build my own scale model rotary.

ps: it helps to read what you are responding to, i was asking for plans to build a small single rotor :ph34r:

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

@Strando123 here is a thread for a miniature Wankel engine build.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075931

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Just now, Maybach123 said:

@Strando123 here is a thread for a miniature Wankel engine build.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075931

i was reading that as you posted it xD

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

I would too but they're more expensive if you can even find one, $15k minimum as I told Terry and after that the cost of ownership is higher. The oil changes are $120 rather than $40. They take 3 gallons of oil minimum. It just doesn't make sense over the gas Chevy ones :/ 

They'll run forever though. If I was to get a van or a truck bigger than just a mini truck I'd want a diesel for sure. But that's just me

My word, this guy is amazing.

khyzyl-saleem-libertywalk288gtomergedfin

Folding@Home | BOINC

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Anything will if you keep fresh oil in it. I linked warm milk at some point an express can that did a million miles on stock motor and tranny. 

And I'm right there with you. I love the 7.3, the 5.9 and the 6.6 but it's hard to justify the cost of ownership when the only thing I would tow is a single car hauler. Maybe if I would be high enough volume and need to move two at a time like HG it would be a 15,000 pound trailer instead of 6k at the most. Unfortunately I flat out don't need it as much as I want it. :( 

I can understand where you're coming from. 7.3s are hard as hell to find around here as well. I want one so badly though. Someday