Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

TIL two-smoke diesels are a thing

FTFY

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

TIL two-stroke diesels are a thing

They are actually not too uncommon in the marine industry. Most larger ships are powered by two stroke diesels. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, Strando123 said:

what size piston would be used in a 10mm cylinder? (inner diameter is 10mm)

100cc 2stroke racers , are usually 50mm bore , and use 49,61 all the way to 49,80 pistons . 

Depending on the RPMs you are planning , port timing , port size and mixture you could get away with something like 9,68 then go up from there . 

And you could find the bearings you need from small Nitro R/C Car engines , and probably the carburetor aswell. 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

The GT3RS 4.0L I saw during the summer is now for sale!

@MEC-777 does this qualify for chump car xD

Show: Unionville Exotic Car Show 2016

Welp looks like embedding is broken for me now too @Maybach123

6A6AA857-9029-44B2-BE0D-092A03C795DA.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I... didn't think it was possible to walk into a moving firetruck, but somebody had to do it.

As a Torontonian, I am ashamed.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

4 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

My word, this guy is amazing.

IKR. I pretty much downloaded all of his portfolio to use as the desktop background after @terrytek posted some of his stuff. (His name is Khyzyl Saleem in case someone doesn't know) [purists may hate his work, but I dont give a flying fuck]

Fun fact, he (not alone tho, I guess) designed the widebody kit for the Miata ND in Need For Speed.

3 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

2018 Toyota GT86 Specifications and Powertrain.png

frabz-First-well-kill-it-with-fire-Then-

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

3 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

IKR. I pretty much downloaded all of his portfolio to use as the desktop background after @terrytek posted some of his stuff. (His name is Khyzyl Saleem in case someone doesn't know) [purists may hate his work, but I dont give a flying fuck]

Fun fact, he (not alone tho, I guess) designed the widebody kit for the Miata ND in Need For Speed.

Khyzyl Saleem is a Concept Artist for EA / Ghost Games. A lot of his stuff is on ArtStation, and actually a lot of high profile video game artists are on there as well.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/khyzylsaleem

Ive fallen in love with Mike Hill's work after seeing the stuff he did for COD Infinite Warfare. Just the amount of detail these guys push out is staggering...

Jackal multi-role fighter

mike-hill-jackal-profile-2500.jpg?147852

Raven dropship:

mike-hill-dropship-center-rear-2500.jpg?

Folding@Home | BOINC

17 hours ago, warmmilk said:

good news and bad news

good news:

my sister is getting married and my parents wanna buy her a car as a wedding gift, so looks like I'll be getting the RSX back!  I'm thinking of turning it into a rallyx car...  (autox version of rally, not a global rallycross 600hp awd monster).  

basically get softer springs for the fortune auto coilovers on there, raise it up for ground clearance, and some snow tires on 16" wheels... or something.  how much are real rally tires anyway? and where would I buy them?

It has 10k/14k springs on it now, initial thought was to move the 10k to the rear and get something softer for the front.  but I think the spring is too long..

will also pick up a cheap exhaust for it.  it has a longtube no cat header on it with stock exhaust, everyone is saying its choking like 15-20whp.  I'll need to get a retune for it anyway for max power, I had it tuned for max fuel economy for my sister (was getting like 30-32mpg!)

bad news:

the built NA 2.5 engines don't seem to be performing as promised.  a guy on the east coast dyno'd his and put down 178 whp on a dynojet that supposedly reads 10% too low, so 196ish.  kinda pathetic for a cammed and high compression engine.  I drove the one local one, although they're still tweaking the tune, but its nowhere near the 220-230whp promised.  I mean its really torque in the mid range, but it has no top end.  It doesn't feel any faster than my car from 5500 to redline.  The RSX feels faster, it does a real 200whp and its ~300lb heavier...

So I'm waiting to see what the local Miata will actually do once the tune is 100% complete.  if it doesn't make at least 220whp dynojet I'm not gonna do that swap.  I'm thinking an internally stock 2.5 with a Kraftwerks SC and their lowest boost pulley.  that should easily give me 220-250whp, lots of torque, and relatively low stress on the engine.

@bcredeur97 @vinyldash303 @AlwaysFSX @chaozbandit @terrytek @MEC-777

ps.

do you guys get notifications if I add your tags as edits?  I almost always forget when writing a post then edit and add the tags

yeah the tags as edits work just fine.

rally tires: http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?44530-Rally-Tires!-All-available-brands!-Where-to-buy-them-Rim-sizes-Country-of-origin (ignore the sizes, if you go to the websites you'll see different ones)

the RSX as a rallycross car would be pretty sweet. Rally is hard though... keep that in mind lol

yeah I feel like a supercharger or small turbo would be the way to go on your miata. Why not a small turbo? I mean it really doesn't matter, and the supercharger setup is a bit more simple but you'll get more power out of a turbo because it's more efficient. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Don't see anything wrong with that. It's a tank and probably handles the snow quite well. With the proper tires, most cars are totally manageable in winter conditions. ;) My 89 Supra with a set of snows was amazing in the slippery stuff. 

Yes, I get notifications when tagged. ;) 

Sounds like a cool project for the RSX. Keep us updated if you move ahead with it. 

As for the 2.5L - don't bother. Those engines weren't really designed for "performance" even though that's how they are marketed. They make good mid-range torque which is nice, but that's only really good for diving in traffic on the street. I suspect the heads don't flow all that great and that's probably where they are hitting the power wall. Not a great engine to build up, IMO. 

If you're looking for more power, have you considered going turbo or SC? Or do you want to stay NA? 

Would be more work, but there's the Honda F20C from the S2000 as another option?

the 2.5 head actually flows better than the 2.0 head.  the cams are the limiting factor.  the problem is the miata is generally an old man car, and nobody makes a proper set of cams for it, I've only seen results for either very mild cams or full on race cams that don't make any power under 4k.  There are cams for the Duratech which is basically the same engine, but then I'd have to ditch VVT which I don't want to do.

I'm gonna wait a bit more and see if they figure out how to make power going the NA route with this engine.  if I don't see the results I want I'm gonna go with an internally stock 2.5 and put a Kraftwerks SC on it.  Main reason I'd prefer to stay NA is mostly because of belt issues.  Everyone that has the Kraftwerks kit on an NC goes through belts about every 10k with street use.  And I track my car, so it'll be more often than that for me.  And general wear and tear is less on an NA engine...  and cooling is always more of an issue with boost.

A honda engine swap would be awesome but really expensive.  and I'd go with a K24 over the F20/22.  nobody's done it for the NC so it'd be all custom parts to get it to work and figuring out all the wiring myself and I have no desire to do that even if I was willing to spend the money.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah the tags as edits work just fine.

rally tires: http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?44530-Rally-Tires!-All-available-brands!-Where-to-buy-them-Rim-sizes-Country-of-origin (ignore the sizes, if you go to the websites you'll see different ones)

the RSX as a rallycross car would be pretty sweet. Rally is hard though... keep that in mind lol

yeah I feel like a supercharger or small turbo would be the way to go on your miata. Why not a small turbo? I mean it really doesn't matter, and the supercharger setup is a bit more simple but you'll get more power out of a turbo because it's more efficient. 

Rally is fun though :D

I don't wanna go turbo for the reason the mighty car mods guys said, there's always that lag between your foot and the engine, with a supercharger there's no lag since it's driven off a belt.   The SC can easily make the power I want, so that's not an issue for me between turbo and SC. 

That and turbos put off a lot more heat in the engine bay compared to an SC therefore making cooling a bigger issue

for a street car I'd go turbo, for a rwd track car I prefer SC. I'd prolly go turbo on fwd though and definitely on awd

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

4 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Sad story: A friend of mine from high school built up a WS6 Trans-Am with a big single turbo on an LS7 making just shy of 900 whp. Unfortunately when he was dialing the car in he had a fuel pressure loss, so he called a tow to bring it back home. Someone cut the tow truck off and the car ended up falling off of the truck on the highway. :(

The car was obviously a total loss. 

Wow is that a really sad story.

41 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

@Maybach123 you are on tv!

lol, what am i saying?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

13 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

lol, what am i saying?

Fry's threesome is now a onesome.

Hey, where is fry?

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

5 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

5 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No need for the lenny face, it was sexual.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

16 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Hey, where is fry?

is that the episode where the girls drink the nectar? 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

4 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

is that the episode where the girls drink the nectar? 

Yup.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

I kind of like the new Micra. Its tiny, but it gets styling cues from the new GTR and body lines from the Sport Sedan Concept. Plus at < $10,000 CAD nothing really touches it.

@MEC-777

smqtoyqu8zejratudyzs.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

19 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Yup.

I just realized i might watch a little to much futurama xD 

9 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I just realized i might watch a little to much futurama xD 

Nah.... You can not watch too much futurama.

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

I got a new PC at work, my home PC developed an inferiority complex.

here are the specs:

Asus X99 mobo - not sure which model

Intel i7-6800K 6 core (but on a stock intel cpu cooler, I didn't even know there were stock cpu coolers for the X99 platform???)

32 GB 2133 ram

Nvidia GTX-1070

Intel NVMe 400GB SSD

home PC specs in sig...

@bcredeur97 @vinyldash303 @terrytek @chaozbandit

1 minute ago, warmmilk said:

here are the specs:

Intel i7-6800K 6 core (but on a stock intel cpu cooler, I didn't even know there were stock cpu coolers for the X99 platform???)

32 GB 2133 ram

Nvidia GTX-1070

Intel NVMe 400GB SSD

home PC specs in sig...

I didn't think they came with stock coolers either, never heard of a 2011 chip with an Intel cooler

22 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

here are the specs:

32 GB 2133 ram

Nvidia GTX-1070

Intel NVMe 400GB SSD

home PC specs in sig...

Nice, my friend recently overhauled his system as well because of a stupid good deal. Also an Asus x99 board with a 6800k, h100i and titan x. Meanwhile I'm still clinging onto am3+ and praying am4 isn't a bust lol

Guess you'll be spending more time wt work now, 

Folding@Home | BOINC

While I was voting, the Focus made a friend! Lol

2016-11-08%2016.51.49_zpsqacugect.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro