Help me decide

Budget: 1650 USD

I have two options that I am trying to decide between and would like some expert advice if the price difference is worth it.

Option one: ASUS TUF Dash 15.6" 144Hz Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7-12650H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB PCIe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB, Backlit Keyboard, Win 11 Pro

Cost: 1649 USD

Option two: ASUS TUF F15 15.6" 144Hz FHD Gaming Laptop Computer, 12th Gen Intel 14-Core i7-12700H, GeForce RTX 4070 8GB, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB PCIe SSD, WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, RGB Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro

Cost: 1529

For reference this is going to be used for high end CAD software and a touch of gaming. I also only buy a laptop about every 6-8 years so future proof is very important.

Go for option 2. Better CPU, better GPU

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Wait, and it's cheaper?
Oh, DDR4 over DDR5. It's fine.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

2 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Wait, and it's cheaper?
Oh, DDR4 over DDR5. It's fine.

would you be willing to look at the amazon links and make sure i am not missing anything?

For high end CAD, given this cost level... I'd directly pull you up to the OLED chain. Both me and my buddy from the PC store seem to be dead set on this, LCD is dog water for even remotely high end laptops...

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-AERO-15-OLED-XD-73US624SR/dp/B09QPT3WSK

This is 60 Hz flavor, bit of its older model but hey, you save the cash in the pocket. Still a baller machine though.

26 minutes ago, Motifator said:

For high end CAD, given this cost level... I'd directly pull you up to the OLED chain. Both me and my buddy from the PC store seem to be dead set on this, LCD is dog water for even remotely high end laptops...

This is 60 Hz flavor, bit of its older model but hey, you save the cash in the pocket. Still a baller machine though.

normally i would agree but my current computer has 16gb of memory and it is pretty much maxing it out with a few crome tabs and the software.

30 minutes ago, Motifator said:

i also run a second monitor as my main, so the lcd is not as big a deal to me.

11 minutes ago, LT2 said:

normally i would agree but my current computer has 16gb of memory and it is pretty much maxing it out with a few crome tabs and the software.

Memory can be easily upgraded, screens much less so. A second 16GB stick (or even a pair, assuming the Aero comes with 2x8) would still be within your budget.

Same remark about the 4070 TUF btw - it might come with DDR4, but you can always upgrade it to DDR5 down the line if you need the speed upgrade (though from my, admittedly limited, experience CAO wants capacity over speed). Though that would put you about 100 bucks over budget.

2 minutes ago, Aleph256 said:

Memory can be easily upgraded, screens much less so. A second 16GB stick (or even a pair, assuming the Aero comes with 2*8) would still be withing your budget.

Same remark about the 4070 TUF btw - it might come with DDR4, but you can always upgrade it to DDR5 down the line if you need the speed upgrade (though from my, admittedly limited, experience CAO wants capacity over speed). Though that would put you about 100 bucks over budget.

i  have always run a lcd laptop is it worth giving up the 32gb of ram for the screen

6 minutes ago, LT2 said:

Is it worth giving up the 32gb of ram for the screen

Depends on your use case.

Personally have yet to encounter a scenario where I capped my 32GB (though admittedly my CAD projects are on the small side), and the screen is nice for media playback, so if you don't need the 4070's extra oomph, go for the OLED.

But it's a nice to have, not a need to have - and DDR4 is plenty fast already for a CAD use case, so I'd go for the 4070 TUF either way.

5 minutes ago, LT2 said:

i  have always run a lcd laptop is it worth giving up the 32gb of ram for the screen

The Samsung AMOLED is glorious, it's like one of those things you have to see / experience it to get blown of. It's really a good panel. Samsung calibrates their panels very well with laptops, convertibles, etc. It might even be a better panel than the more expensive LG stuff. It's some AMOLED goodness.

3 minutes ago, Aleph256 said:

Depends on your use case.

Personally have yet to encounter a scenario where I capped my 32GB (though admittedly my CAD projects are on the small side), and the screen is nice for media playback, so if you don't need the 4070's extra oomph, go for the OLED.

But it's a nice to have, not a need to have - and DDR4 is plenty fast already for a CAD use case, so I'd go for the 4070 TUF either way.

thanks for the advice i think i am going to go the ddr4 tuff route as i need at least a 3070 for rendering, and as i mentioned dont like having to swap laptops very often. Thank you all for the help

4 minutes ago, Motifator said:

The Samsung AMOLED is glorious, it's like one of those things you have to see / experience it to get blown of. It's really a good panel. Samsung calibrates their panels very well with laptops, convertibles, etc. It might even be a better panel than the more expensive LG stuff. It's some AMOLED goodness.

great info will look into getting a oled for my main screen, thanks again

Here is a shot of  my Zenbook which has an LG OLED, the Samsung is prolly tad a bit over it in some areas...

1432611249_IMG202205142106001237.thumb.jpg.a3b0679592e5d4c37b9d7498310e2c5c.jpg

4 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Here is a shot of  my Zenbook which has an LG OLED, the Samsung is prolly tad a bit over it in some areas...

1432611249_IMG202205142106001237.thumb.jpg.a3b0679592e5d4c37b9d7498310e2c5c.jpg

that is incredable what are your specs on that

Nothing too intense really, it's an ultrabook so.. single 8gb RAM, 11th gen quad something not on top of my head, obviously onboard graphics.  It's more of a screen experience indeed.

But like, you can get the Aero (newer white model), with a 90 Hz AMOLED now. Albeit, that version only has an RTX 4050 as far as I'm concerned. There may be other choices if you're willing to pay more... obviously.

38 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Nothing too intense really, it's an ultrabook so.. single 8gb RAM, 11th gen quad something not on top of my head, obviously onboard graphics.  It's more of a screen experience indeed.

But like, you can get the Aero (newer white model), with a 90 Hz AMOLED now. Albeit, that version only has an RTX 4050 as far as I'm concerned. There may be other choices if you're willing to pay more... obviously.

always are, i think i will get a nice tuff and then maybe by  secondary oled if the need is presented. thanks for the help