Tech companies declaring "war" and Stop signs + Self Driving Cars

CakeArmy_Max

Real quick, new to this section of LTT, please limit hatred <3

Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/tech-companies-are-cracking-down-on-hate-speech/

So apparently people don't understand what freedom of speech means. It means the government will not prosecute you for saying whatever you want. That ONLY applies to the government, not companies. LTT can do whatever they want. If I went on youtube and made a video about why a certain race should die off, they have the right to remove it. It is not censorship. If I was making a video complaining about YT and they remove it, it can be considered censorship, but is still legal as they can do what they want with their own platform.

Another Ars technica article actually explains how a stop sign can be covertly changed to make self driving cars not recognize them WITH THESE 5 SIMPLE STEPS! (GONE CRAZY GONE SEXUAL ((NOT CLICKBAIT)) (((((CLICKBAIT))))) ((((((((OMG)))))))

Clickbait aside, https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/09/hacking-street-signs-with-stickers-could-confuse-self-driving-cars/

Do note, they didn't actually test this. Its all just a theory based on my TLDR version of the article. 

TLDR:

Freedom of speech does not mean anything with companies, stop signs can have a sticker on them and then self driving cars wont recognize them. 

I'm amazed that people allow themselves to get triggered by things like this. It makes sense. YouTube is a company. If they don't like something you post. They can remove it. If you want to promote your opinion which may or may not meet the guidelines of YouTube, the LTT forum, Vimeo, or social media platforms like Facebook & Twitter. Buy a domain, and buy a server. Run your own server promoting your controversial opinion. Then unless you REALLY push your luck like by threatening the government or something else crazy then you can have your free speech online.

On a less controversial note. Click bate is dumb. It statistically works which shows the level of intelligence of most of the world which is all the more reason I dislike it and if the self driving car thing is true it would kind of make sense. If you obstruct the stop sign with something then the car sensor won't recognise it. Self driving cars have a ways to go.

Hey there! Remember to include a quote from the source (AT), and keep the news posts to one topic per post (edit this one so it only covers either war on hate speech or stop signs confusing self-driving cars).

Cheers!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

No self-driving cars in Bradenton, I guess...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

So, are you an Ars employee? 9_9

Also, to the first article, most of the content-hosting websites are in for a world of trouble in the future. They're just careful not to hit anyone with enough money to ruin them... yet. They've been operating in a clearly anti-competitive, coordinated manner. Oh, and YouTube has been illegally supported by Google for a decade, driving competitors out of the industry by cross-subsidization. Which is also illegal.

Just remember the phrase "Trust Busting". It's going to be lit. xD

5 hours ago, CakeArmy_Max said:

So apparently people don't understand what freedom of speech means. It means the government will not prosecute you for saying whatever you want. That ONLY applies to the government, not companies. LTT can do whatever they want. If I went on youtube and made a video about why a certain race should die off, they have the right to remove it. It is not censorship. If I was making a video complaining about YT and they remove it, it can be considered censorship, but is still legal as they can do what they want with their own platform.

Just because you can do something, that doesn't make it right. Companies shouldn't play moral busy bodies.

And their censorship is inconsistent and for example Twitter has a clear political bias.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

O.K

1.  don't think of it as censorship, think of it more as companies trying to limit their public image being associated with things they know their customers don't like. It 's just them avoiding bad publicity and losing sales.

2. self driving cars.  whatever.   they won't become a thing until they have sufficient fail safes.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Shouldn't be surprising. Guy who likes unfettered capitalism until said capitalism does something he doesn't like also doesn't know the definition of a straw man.

Capitalism doesn't mean I have to bow down to companies and praise everything they do.

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

The fact that conservatives are worried about a crackdown on hate speech should tell you all you need to know about them. Apparently saying someone with too much melanin in their skin doesn't have the right to exist is an "opposing viewpoint that should be discussed"

ars hate speech.png

This is a straw man.

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

I know that my opinion regarding asylum seekers is not popular so I will not express my real opinion in real life especially at my university where left wingers are everywhere. I don´t care what they say and just agree with their political views just to go smoothly through university.

8 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

On a less controversial note. Click bate is dumb. It statistically works which shows the level of intelligence of most of the world which is all the more reason I dislike it and if the self driving car thing is true it would kind of make sense. If you obstruct the stop sign with something then the car sensor won't recognise it. Self driving cars have a ways to go.

Being more likely to notice a title written in a certain way has nothing to do with intelligence. The reason it works is that people notice those articles first, and are more likely to click on them to see what it's about. In theory there's nothing wrong with that, as long as the title doesn't lie about the content of the article/video.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

self driving cars thing is a retoast im pretty sure

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

40 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Capitalism doesn't mean I have to bow down to companies and praise everything they do.

This is a straw man.

Which part?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, ivan134 said:

Which part?

37 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Apparently saying someone with too much melanin in their skin doesn't have the right to exist is an "opposing viewpoint that should be discussed"

Spoiler

Retired:

8 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

How is that a strawman? Lmao.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

18 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I know that my opinion regarding asylum seekers is not popular so I will not express my real opinion in real life especially at my university where left wingers are everywhere. I don´t care what they say and just agree with their political views just to go smoothly through university.

the fact that in Europe you can't openly talk about such important issues openly without severe social persecutions, is exactly why Europe has some very bad years in front of it.

49 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Who said you have to praise them? Unfettered capitalism means companies get to do whatever they want right? Why shouldn't they be "moral busy bodies" as you put it? Why does someone who favors capitalism with no government control have this viewpoint?

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

maybe if you had actually looked at the problem instead of just assuming they are just  racist/whatever else, you would have stumbled across the fact that the problem is that said laws are way to vague and can be applied to almost anything that could be called offensive, thats the problem

????

Lol, do you even know what this topic is about?

8 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the fact that in Europe you can't openly talk about such important issues openly without severe social persecutions, is exactly why Europe has some very bad years in front of it.

Agreed. I already can´t wait to emigrate from Germany but I have to stay to get my degree in CS.

25 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

How is that a strawman? Lmao.

The argument is that the definition of hate speech is so vague and subjective that it can be applied to anything.

23 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

IMG_2688.JPG.49ac215cb985d5fa1ba23e2be4bb594e.JPG

20 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Who said you have to praise them? Unfettered capitalism means companies get to do whatever they want right? Why shouldn't they be "moral busy bodies" as you put it? Why does someone who favors capitalism with no government control have this viewpoint?

Should =/= have to

Also I'm not for 100% unregulated market.

Spoiler

Retired:

25 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Being more likely to notice a title written in a certain way has nothing to do with intelligence. The reason it works is that people notice those articles first, and are more likely to click on them to see what it's about. In theory there's nothing wrong with that, as long as the title doesn't lie about the content of the article/video.

The clickbate I'm primarily referring to is from YouTube although web articles can apply too. I understand the objective is to get a users attention but I would argue that the readers intelligence IS a factor because certain thumbnails and titles ARE obvious over inflated misleading lies and often aren't even information contained within the article or video. The video or article creator is rude for leading people on for the sake of clicks and revenue and the user who cannot distinguish an obvious lie from something that could be true or contained within can have their level of intelligence questioned at least the parts of their brain which are responsible for analyzing, critical thinking, and decision making. So I disagree with your argument I do believe intelligence has something to do with it.

If your argument is that you think I'm defining intelligence simply as the amount of usable information one has memorised in their lifetime then you would be correct and I would be wrong but that type of intelligence isn't what I mean.

7 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

The argument is that the definition of hate speech is so vague and subjective that it can be applied to anything.

IMG_2688.JPG.49ac215cb985d5fa1ba23e2be4bb594e.JPG

Should =/= have to

Also I'm not for 100% unregulated market.

so you didn't actually read my post, then decided I was a making a straw man because of some other argument you had in your head?

9 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

And no. There is nothing vague about white supremacy.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If your argument is that you think I'm defining intelligence simply as the amount of usable information one has memorised in their lifetime then you would be correct and I would be wrong but that type of intelligence isn't what I mean.

Regargless of the type of intelligence you mean, you will notice clickbait titles first. If you then refuse to click them that's another matter entirely, but eventually you'll run out of sources if you do that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

27 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Excuse me . If you've ever read say , a tabloid , you'd know that this statement is completely false.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case