Discord Video Chat, its here and works!(for the lucky 10%)

Mods feel free to move this if its not deemed news worthy enough, i find it to be though

With the most recent update of Discord, a text and voice chat application if you didnt know, they have added the long sought after Video chat! this has been promised to come for absolute ages and its not rolled out to everyone yet. I was one of the ones that got it and i have tested it and it works great.

pasta sauce: https://blog.discordapp.com/8-15-2017-change-log-43af80e7e4d1

Video is rolling out

We've rolled out Video Chat and Screen Sharing to 10% of our players at random in order to test bandwidth and quality.

• Video chat or Screen Share with up to 10 friends (although more than 5 can be on the struggle bus).
  • Picture in Picture so you can have your video chat window float above the app when you navigate away from the call.
  • Learn more and see Graphics Interchange Formats (otherwise known as GIFs) of it here.

Have Discord Nitro? You can test Video and Screen Share during this beta too! Purchasing Nitro will give you access to the feature as well. Give us your money here.

The final launch is at least a month away. We'll keep you guys updated on our Twitter and of course, a change log when it's finally ready.

I think its great to finaly see this, we can finaly get the rid of Skype for video chating! From my quick test call it seemed to work good with just one problem being that my microphone input was dead when i first started, was fixed by a quick mute-unmute though.

RIP SKYPE!!!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Maybe it's just me, but discord never seems to work for me.

Skype does...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Maybe it's just me, but discord never seems to work for me.

Skype does...

Discord has always worked great for me, i have been using it for absolute ages. the only problems i have had have been servers going down from DDOS attacks but not even that seems to happen anymore :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

RIP Sykpe, except you aren't going anywhere, because not that many people actually care.

Or know that after enough people move to a different free service, the same issues crop up.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

I got the video chat thing, but haven't used it yet. To a person to has, apparently the UI's pretty good and all that.

yah UI is good, easy to transition between your main focus(have only got one person to test with atm so i havent done anything bigger than 1 on 1) and it just generaly seemed quite nice to use. its definatly better than Skype from an UI pov id say

Builds:

Spoiler

They also have a stable Linux build as of January.

I'm replacing Skype, if it works well.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

Neat. Really like Discord and how continously it improves all the time. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 minutes ago, Terryv said:

They also have a stable Linux build as of January.

I'm replacing Skype, if it works well.

nice to know, last time i tried it it was in its early beta days

3 minutes ago, Tedny said:

Wait wait,  someone still using Skype?) 

yes. had to teach mom how to use it like a month back actiually

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Neat. Really like Discord and how continously it improves all the time. 

yah the devs are actiually working on stuff, its awesome to finaly see the long sought after video feature finaly arive :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

Frame rate is choppy. Otherwise i like the screen sharing option, or window sharing. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Frame rate is choppy. Otherwise i like the screen sharing option, or window sharing. 

it was smooth as butter as the console gamers would say about my 24fps camera, but the person on the other end had a good one, and it seemed fluid as butter to me. might be that EU servers have it better?

Builds:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

it was smooth as butter as the console gamers would say about my 24fps camera, but the person on the other end had a good one, and it seemed fluid as butter to me. might be that EU servers have it better?

Possibly. I tired it earlier in the week so maybe its gotten better. It was Bad or anything. We also had 6 people going 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

7 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Possibly. I tired it earlier in the week so maybe its gotten better. It was Bad or anything. We also had 6 people going 

yah they said that 5+ WOULD be laggy for now so theres that :P 

Video chat or Screen Share with up to 10 friends (although more than 5 can be on the struggle bus).

Builds:

Spoiler

Skype is going nowhere. As long as most people know only about Skype, which makes you forced to use Skype in sone occassions, Skype will be here for a long time. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just noticed the more than 5 thing but I tried it out few nights ago with a group of 8 or so people with only 3 people max were using a cam. It worked fine but occasionally I would notice random people that weren't using cam not talking, turns out they were talking the whole time and the something to do with discord was broken.

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

I'm curious how much of a performance hit you take in CPU intensive games like GTA V when having a group of 4 all on video chat... Possible LTT/Techquickie video? @LinusTech Some benchmarks would be nice...

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

4 hours ago, Orangeator said:

I'm curious how much of a performance hit you take in CPU intensive games like GTA V when having a group of 4 all on video chat... Possible LTT/Techquickie video? @LinusTech Some benchmarks would be nice...

It's the sever bandwidth that's the problem, discord is extremely light so I wouldn't expect more then a few FPS from that. Would be interesting to see actual testing though. 

6 hours ago, yuh25 said:

Just noticed the more than 5 thing but I tried it out few nights ago with a group of 8 or so people with only 3 people max were using a cam. It worked fine but occasionally I would notice random people that weren't using cam not talking, turns out they were talking the whole time and the something to do with discord was broken.

Yah that's a problem I had, simple mute/unmute fixed it so it worked after that but that will hopefully be fixed soon. 

8 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Skype is going nowhere. As long as most people know only about Skype, which makes you forced to use Skype in sone occassions, Skype will be here for a long time. 

And in the professional space I doubt anyone will swap to discord, Skype and hangouts will still dominate. 

Builds:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Tedny said:

Every day for many hours... yeah.

On 20/08/2017 at 9:35 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

RIP SKYPE!!!

Unless you commit wrongthink and discord force shutdowns your server:

-Edited-

Always remember it's hate speech if the alt left disagrees with you. /s

Edited by TheRandomness
Let's not get too political here.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

16 hours ago, Tedny said:

I do. My company has corporate version and it is used for in-company communication.

Sorry for bad Ingrish

7 minutes ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

I do. My company has corporate version and it is used for in-company communication.

Ew

Go-to meeting! Thats what my company uses because we rent stuck in 2005 :P 

Seriously hyped for the screen sharing through discord though. Video chat is okay. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Ew

Go-to meeting! Thats what my company uses because we rent stuck in 2005 :P 

Seriously hyped for the screen sharing through discord though. Video chat is okay. 

Skype for Business is entirely different from Skype. It's Lync, but it looks like Skype.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Skype for Business is entirely different from Skype. It's Lync, but it looks like Skype.

I know Skype for business is 100% different from Commercial Skype

It's still ew. Why? I have to say Skype, and that just makes me feel dirty. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I know Skype for business is 100% different from Commercial Skype

It's still ew. Why? I have to say Skype, and that just makes me feel dirty. 

Hah! True,  but Skype for Business is actually pretty nice. Especially compared to go-to-meeting :P 

If it makes you feel any better you can still say Lync Business.