Apple Updates its Mac lineup: External GPU support, Kaby lake and a new iMac Pro

1 hour ago, randomhkkid said:

Radeon Pro 580

In terms of performance what is the difference between this and an rx version?

Was hoping for more on iOS 11. Probably keeping that for their September event, makes sense 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

I know some people here quite dislike Apple... but damn, you have to agree that it looks really nice. Hell, I'd get a black keyboard if that's going to be a thing.

Just a shame it's not a full chassis like the Mac Pros before 2013. Although what they managed to cram into the iMac is extremely impressive.

I do look forward to a tear down, and some thermal testing though. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I know some people here quite dislike Apple... but damn, you have to agree that it looks really nice. Hell, I'd get a black keyboard if that's going to be a thing.

No one ever really complains about the looks as they almost always look great. Its just too much for such a small package. 

macOS Sierra, macOS High Sierra, macOS Drunk Sierra

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

the bezels are so thick :/ would have expected something a little sleeker. Also, will MBPs finally get egpu support as well? :D 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

2 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

macOS Sierra, macOS High Sierra, macOS Drunk Sierra

Leopard -> Snow Leopard

Lion -> Mountain Lion

Sierra -> High Sierra

(ik mavericks is missing :P ... high mavericks should of been a version lol!)

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

34 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

They are legit in my testing and I have the older Macbook Pro Retina.

Dude. This is about iMac Pro. They said they will have Vega GPU's.

Gotcha. in 6 months Nvidia may have Volta out though, so it'll still be far behind in that category. Not to mention the $5k model is going to have a very low end Vega. You'll have to buy the 18 core version to get the high end Vega stuff if apple does it like they have in the past. 

1 hour ago, suits said:

More powerful how? Because Linus just reviewed an all-in-one with a gtx 1080 (or 1080ti) in it. For a heck of a cheaper price. Not to mention building the exact same machine and getting an ever better monitor would be astronomically cheaper, not to mention upgradable.

Astronomically cheaper? Are you kidding me?

You get a full PC package with Workstation grade hardware, with 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports (future expansion), extremely fast SSD, one of the best displays (5K 10 bit, 50 nits), if not the best along with macOS with alot content creation support as of the latest macOS update. Not to mention it's beautiful and compact

3 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

You get a full PC package with Workstation grade hardware, with 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports (future expansion), extremely fast SSD, one of the best displays (5K 10 bit, 50 nits), if not the best along with macOS with alot content creation support as of the latest macOS update. Not to mention it's beautiful and compact

MacOS would still be the biggest selling point for me. Thunderbolt and display sure are nice too.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just now, Nicnac said:

MacOS would still be the biggest selling point for me. Thunderbolt and display sure are nice too.

People who hate/dislike apple so much are the ones that have 0 interest in macOS.

People who are a fan of macOS, can pretty much swallow the price that apple shove them. 

That's the thing that apple haters don't understand. 

Not everyone wants a 1080 machine and game all day. 

A lot of the apps and software run better on macOS. And it completely destroys windows when it comes to everyday tasks. ( at least in my opinion ) 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

-snips-

[Something rather offensive, discussing hackintosh]

Edited by TheRandomness
Snipped the post.

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

--

You are absolutely right. I love building windows machines but my uni laptop is a mbp. You don't just pay for the hardware but for a lot less headaches and issues that a windows machine will give you

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just now, Nicnac said:

You are absolutely right. I love building windows machines but my uni laptop is a mbp. You don't just pay for the hardware but for a lot less headaches and issues that a windows machine will give you

I know a lot of people hate apple at this forum. 

And I have also seen a lot of people who used to hate apple, then got a macbook pro, and their attitude changes completely. 

It's just that those people normally don't make a post here... they are at reddit /r/apple 

I have nothing against people who dislike apple, it is just I don't like people who have one dimensional beliefs. 

"As long as I don't like onions, who ever likes it is a dumb ass/fanboy" like... can you just quit being a 12 year old already? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Sigh, Apple, Apple Apple... why isn't the Apple logo bloody RGB!.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

It will only cost you a merely $99.99.. 

And of course  we are talking about a $99.99 dongle. 

:)

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

2 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Doesn't even have tempered glass. And I highly doubt it's VR-ready!!!

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Things I'm excited about: 

• External GPU support via Metal 2
  • New Mac Pro
  • APFS as default
  • Files. iOS HAS A NATIVE FAUX FILE SYSTEM!
  • Apple Music updates & new API
  • The general new life Apple has breathed back into their hardware
  • Native 265 support

I prefer the Apple ecosystem personally for most daily tasks.

26 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

A PC is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Workstation hardware means nothing if it cannot maintain its speeds due to throttling, I cant get plenty of thunderbolt ports on a pc, a 960 is just as fast and faster in most cases, Its not the best monitor you can buy. Cant argue about it being beautiful though

Yeah this has workstation hardware and a vega (bottom tier starting) GPU but that is not the top end hardware and you are already spending $5000. Meanwhile, even the PC built earlier in this thread can out perform this with a 1080ti for a grand less even though it was just a throw something together build and you could go cheaper from their. Starting price is just too much and I cannot imagine the cost of the top model.

12 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I have nothing against people who dislike apple, it is just I don't like people who have one dimensional beliefs.

I agree. I don't hate apple, their stuff just doesn't seem to interest me for my setup.

But you seem to pick a lot of wild arguments on things that makes no sense or has no bearing in reality.

Like, "People don't understand that not everybody wants a 1080".

I mean, yeah they do, I don't "want" (to pay) for a baller computer. But if I buy an Apple computer I have to pay for a baller computer and I don't even get one.

But will Linus get one and benchmark it, before dropping it?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.