Apple Updates its Mac lineup: External GPU support, Kaby lake and a new iMac Pro

Xeon

Vega

1 TB SSD

5k display 

Guys I'll be honest ,I'm not an apple fan ,but wouldn't it cost something similar to 5000 USD to build something equivilant? 

iPad Pro 12 core GPU and 120hz refresh rate screen.

Just now, Valentyn said:

There is none sadly Apple has never updated the 2013 Mac Pro, and it's still using an Ivy-bridge Xeon, and AMD Tahiti based FirePro gpu. Which is to say, the 7970 professional version.

What they really need is a proper full desktop chassis again, and hopefully that'll come next year. Especially after they admitted their failings with the 2013 model.

Well now we've at least found a market for this without being insulting to the buyer.

Professionals needing the most powerful Mac systems available that are forced to pay extra for an AIO.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, NinerL said:

iPad Pro 12 core GPU and 120hz refresh rate screen.

Pretty cool stuff.

But did you guys hear him arbitrarily say "We can achieve performance up to 6 times an i7 computer"? What does that even mean?

5 minutes ago, suits said:

Not sure if you are a huge mac fan or what, But that SSD is better than Apple's. That motherboard is overpriced and you're joking to yourself. You could get better and cheaper RAM. I'm not in the know for 5k screens but if it's a worse screen pick a different one, I've always been able to find a better or equal screen to any of the iMacs we've owned.

We use Macs for all our music production I like Mac, but the Mac tax is too high. Not to mention you can't upgrade this.

1. You don't know if that SSD is better considering this is a brand new SSD that has not been seen yet. Considering the current PCIE SSD is just as fast as a 960 Pro...

2. Server Grade Hardware is expensive. 

3. Actually that is the cheapest you can get to still be ECC. You can't compare these two without using ECC otherwise you are cheating.

4. 5k Displays really don't exist on the market at the moment. The Dell one is the most similar and over $1100.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

7 minutes ago, Masken said:

Pretty cool stuff.

Did you guys hear him arbitrarily say "We can achieve performance up to 6 times an i7 computer"? What does that even mean?

An LGA1366 with an underclocked i7 920, 1GB of DDR3 800 RAM, and no cooling fans whatsoever.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

6 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

1. You don't know if that SSD is better considering this is a brand new SSD that has not been seen yet. Considering the current PCIE SSD is just as fast as a 960 Pro...

2. Server Grade Hardware is expensive. 

3. Actually that is the cheapest you can get to still be ECC. You can't compair these two without using ECC otherwise you are cheating.

4. 5k Displays really don't exist on the market at the moment. The Dell one is the most similar and over $1100.

1. You compared the SSDs and I doubt Apple's will be better 960 Pro is best on the market. If Apple does come out with one better the 970 Pro will be released by Samsung shortly lol

2. Yeah but you added overpriced objects. 1080ti? Really? That mother board, way better than what apple is going to give you.

3. You can find cheaper and better RAM, prices fluctuate weekly. 

4. Then get a 4k 10-bit IPS color corrected monitor and you won't notice the different. Sure the Apple one is better but paying the extra at least $1500 is not worth getting the screen with the lack of availability to upgrade it in the future. Especially now that AMD is in the market, 8k monitors are coming soon, and external support for GPU's means hackintosh is going to be more available than ever. 

Mac mini left behind again? Feels bad man

Not a huge fan of the mac pro being an AIO. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Just now, vetali said:

Pretty sure a Mac Pro would still be coming next year.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

agree I feel a Mac Pro would be better then a iMac Pro.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Mac Pro is coming next year, it'll be a modular design. They showed the iMac Pro.

Just now, suits said:

1. You compared the SSDs and I doubt Apple's will be better 960 Pro is best on the market. 

2. Yeah but you added overpriced objects. 1080ti? Really? That mother board, way better than what apple is going to give you.

3. You can find cheaper and better RAM, prices fluctuate weekly. 

4. Then get a 4k 10-bit IPS color corrected monitor and you won't notice the different. Sure the Apple one is better but paying the extra at least $1500 is not worth getting the screen with the lack of availability to upgrade it in the future.  

1. If the 960 Pro and the current Apple PCIE SSD are as good as each other and they say the new SSD is faster well I have to believe them until proven otherwise. T

2. That was one of the cheapest 1080ti's and Vega is rumored to be as fast so why would I not chose it for pricing purposes? That's relative. Apple's pro level stuff has always been really well built motherboard in the desktops. 

3. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABYY5228398&cm_re=ecc_ddr4-_-20-014-085-_-Product ok so $100 cheaper. Wish I knew the speed of the modules because the only options at 2X16GB is 2133.

4. Well now it is a different comparison now isn't it? 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

The Mac Pro is still coming as a modular workstation later on. This is literally for people who can't wait for that to happen, it isn't replacing the Mac Pro

Also, @suits why are you moving the goalposts? Its a 5K monitor. People will notice the difference. Having a 5K monitor allows for a native 4K pixel to pixel readout while still having the rest of the UI for manipulation of said footage. Thats a HUGE advantage to using a 5K monitor and not one you can just discount because it doesn't fit your narrative. 

Its amazing the reaching that you all are doing to discount what a decent product this actually is. Its like Apple shit in your cereal and murdered your dogs or something 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

Seem like decent upgrades... too pricey tough for what their offering .-.

Anyways, someone reminds when the Apple hate train dies off, or the ones who follow it in the 1st place "die" and stop destroying threads and forums all over the internet because "overpriced is the sole justification" ...

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, AG1233 said:

Pretty sure a Mac Pro would still be coming next year.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

agree I feel a Mac Pro would be better then a iMac Pro.

Just now, NinerL said:

Mac Pro is coming next year, it'll be a modular design.

Oh so they are keeping the trash can and making a imac pro. I thought this new imac was replacing the trash can. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

Just now, vetali said:

Oh so they are keeping the trash can and making a imac pro. I thought this new imac was replacing the trash can. 

It's not going to be a trash can anymore, they're redesigning it, it'll be totally modular so you can upgrade parts.

Just now, vetali said:

yeah they are still upgrading it but I don't think it will be in the trash can form factor according to some rumours.

2 minutes ago, NinerL said:

It's not going to be a trash can anymore, they're redesigning it, it'll be totally modular so you can upgrade parts.

You mean like a normal PC? :P

5 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

1. If the 960 Pro and the current Apple PCIE SSD are as good as each other and they say the new SSD is faster well I have to believe them until proven otherwise. T

2. That was one of the cheapest 1080ti's and Vega is rumored to be as fast so why would I not chose it for pricing purposes? That's relative. Apple's pro level stuff has always been really well built motherboard in the desktops. 

3. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABYY5228398&cm_re=ecc_ddr4-_-20-014-085-_-Product ok so $100 cheaper. Wish I knew the speed of the modules because the only options at 2X16GB is 2133.

4. Well now it is a different comparison now isn't it? 

I have never real world experienced even close to the same speeds with apples newest ssds as I have with even a 960 evo from Samsung. Benchmarks and theoretical limits are one thing. Real world is another. 

IMac is coming with an "up to" AMD 580 not a GtX 1080ti lol

ram speeds isn't going to mean jack in that iMac. 

I have you the 5k monitor. But I raised you an 8k monitor. Which in not too long after this iMac comes out you may be able to buy an 8k monitor with the money you saved from not buying Mac. Especially if you buy an AMD 580

14 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

An LGA1366 with an underclocked i7 920 and 1GB of DDR3 800 Ram.

An LGA1366 socket with an underclocked i7 920 and 1GB of DDR3 800 RAM is 6 times faster than an i7?

Right... Even if I flip that, add iPad or whatever really, it doesn't make sense.

Just now, suits said:

I have never real world experienced even close to the same speeds with apples newest ssds as I have with even a 960 evo from Samsung. Benchmarks and theoretical limits are one thing. Real world is another. 

IMac is coming with an AMD 580 not a GtX 1080ti lol

They are legit in my testing and I have the older Macbook Pro Retina.

Dude. This is about iMac Pro. They said they will have Vega GPU's.

2 minutes ago, Masken said:

An LGA1366 socket with an underclocked i7 920 and 1GB of DDR3 800 RAM is faster than an i7?

Right...

No, the i7 920 build above is what the new macs are only 6x as powerful as.

It's true, I let them borrow it for testing purposes!

3 minutes ago, NinerL said:

well its not being redesigned now, so its still a trash can.

screen_shot_2017-06-05_at_10.51.44_am_575px.png

this picture confuses me, so there is a smaller macbook then the 13? what

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

this picture confuses me, so there is a smaller macbook then the 13? what

What do you mean? There's a small macbook, a macbook pro 13, a macbook pro 13 with touchbar.