A Rant about LTT's Latest $1000 Build Guide

They're at the point of allowing their opinions to be bought and advertised, which is fine if you take them as a purely entertainment-based channel and not informational. I don't necessarily think that's an issue though, people have kids to feed.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

They're at the point of allowing their opinions to be bought and advertised, which is fine if you take them as a purely entertainment-based channel and not informational.

I disagreed with that until this video. I still don't think that LTT is bought out, but they are starting to become a sort of corporation that stops paying attention to their real fan base for money.

Just now, n00bmlg said:

I didn't watch the video all the way through, but for $1000 I expected a 1070 at least, you could probably do a 580 build for around $700-$800

Exactly, it's so poorly priced out, and a lot of that is due to the sponsorship.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

This isn't the first questionable build guide they've made. I can't remember any build guides of theres that made much sense.

Just now, DocSwag said:

Exactly, it's so poorly priced out, and a lot of that is due to the sponsorship.

But not even. Check out my first post in that thread, I built two MUCH better systems using a BeQuiet! case, PSU, an cooler. Sure, I could've done better without the sponsorship, but even with it I could do much better.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

true

I hated that they felt obligated to pick bequiet parts due to the sponsorship

they could've advertised it as a "super silent" build and I would've been okay with it.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

This isn't the first questionable build guide they've made. I can't remember any build guides of theres that made much sense.

I wasn't an active member of the PCMR until after they stopped regularly publishing build guides, so I don't know enough to give an opinion on that.

1 minute ago, n00bmlg said:

We're also at the point where intel needs to step aside for budget builds

Except for super budget builds where a G4560 makes sense.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

@Slick@LinusTech@nicklmg@CPotter

For those of you that don't know, LTT recently put out this video:

SNIP

Agree, I had a look at the UK prices too, and just changed the RAM to get the price down to £990  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wzYgxY

Much better build IMO, with just a few sacrifices to keep the 1070 viable.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I hope someone at LMG sees this, since you guys really need to reverse your mistake.

In case you missed the boat, LTT is a business now. They have employees to pay and kids to feed. That means making sacrifices in terms of quality and reputability in order to grow the channel and increase cashflow. Whether it is lame video thumbnails or sponsored builds of dubious value, you have to accept that reliable and accurate information is not necessarily the prime concern of a channel like this.

Compare to its older build guide, this video's editing is not that great too.... so ....

I felt that we are beating the dead horse right now. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Just now, SSL said:

In case you missed the boat, LTT is a business now. They have employees to pay and kids to feed. That means making sacrifices in terms of quality and reputability in order to grow the channel and increase cashflow. Whether it is lame video thumbnails or sponsored builds of dubious value, you have to accept that reliable and accurate information is not necessarily the prime concern of a channel like this.

I know that that is true, but it's still flat out bad for them to do this to mislead their fan base. Being a corporation doesn't excuse this. In LTT's last Honest Answers episode they literally were talking about how they aren't paid off and whatnot. And then they upload this.

That's not to mention that it's not even worth it for them to do this, since they said the huge amounts of dislikes on the Ryzen previewed video really hurt their views for the next few days and this video also got a ton of dislikes.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

That's all fine, but the video should never have been called "$1000 budget build guide", but rather "BeQuiet sponsored build guide", or "Silent PC build guide", or basically anything that doesn't imply value. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I know that that is true, but it's still flat out bad for them to do this to mislead their fan base.

In their mind, LTT is not misleading anyone. They're providing them with "good enough" information that allows them to exist and grow as a company.

Also, LTT does not have "fans" anymore. They have numbers, which translate to other numbers with dollar signs in front. If the former number gets bigger, so does the latter. So their business strategy basically boils down to doing anything that results in "growth".

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's all fine, but the video should never have been called "$1000 budget build guide", but rather "BeQuiet sponsored build guide", or "Silent PC build guide", or basically anything that doesn't imply value. 

That's adorable, but it wouldn't get nearly as many hits. See my point above.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

In their mind, LTT is not misleading anyone. They're providing them with "good enough" information that allows them to exist and grow as a company.

Also, LTT does not have "fans" anymore. They have numbers, which translate to other numbers with dollar signs in front. If the former number gets bigger, so does the latter. So their business strategy basically boils down to doing anything that results in "growth".

Evidently though, dislikes hurt them, as I've said before.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I totally agree with you. Linus used to say that he wouldn't be bought by advertisers, but it seems to have happened without him realizing it. Like how could he look at that CPU cooler and that CPU and think "this makes perfect sense." Just ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I disagreed with that until this video. I still don't think that LTT is bought out, but they are starting to become a sort of corporation that stops paying attention to their real fan base for money.

ermagerd LTT likes money, how dare they..........

we all knew this was coming, if you want minute after minute of bar graphs and raw facts, watch jay or GN.

i kinda like where LTT is going, still factual and techie enough for me, but also very funny, becoming a huge fan of channelsuperfun 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, DnFx91 said:

ermagerd LTT likes money, how dare they..........

we all knew this was coming, if you want minute after minute of bar graphs and raw facts, watch jay or GN.

i kinda like where LTT is going, still factual and techie enough for me, but also very funny, becoming a huge fan of channelsuperfun 

factual? Giving horribly priced build guides doesn't seem very factual (yes I know factual isn't a direct definition that can be used on build guides but it's related).

Even for money, as I've said, it STILL hurts them due to the number of dislikes they're getting.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

If LMG wasn't adamant about how much they care about their fans, then I'd agree. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Evidently though, dislikes hurt them, as I've said before.

The like to dislike ratio isn't nearly as bad in this case. I believe the dislikes at least briefly topped likes in their Ryzen fiasco video.

Keep in mind that LTT has changed, and so probably have you. You may be viewing their old videos through rose-colored glasses, when Linus wore a backwards cap and unboxed in a room or gave the WAN show in an unheated garage. Sure, this style may have appealed because it felt relatable, down-to-earth, and sincere, but as I said above LTT has changed and will continue to change as they seek growth so that they can hire yet more people who need to be paid so that they then need to grow more to pay them, which then necessitates hiring more people who also need paying, and so on. This is called "business".

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If LMG wasn't adamant about how much they care about their fans, then I'd agree. 

Showing is better than telling.

19 hours ago, SSL said:

The like to dislike ratio isn't nearly as bad in this case. I believe the dislikes at least briefly topped likes in their Ryzen fiasco video.

Keep in mind that LTT has changed, and so probably have you. You may be viewing their old videos through rose-colored glasses, when Linus wore a backwards cap and unboxed in a room or gave the WAN show in an unheated garage. Sure, this style may have appealed because it felt relatable, down-to-earth, and sincere, but as I said above LTT has changed and will continue to change as they seek growth so that they can hire yet more people who need to be paid so that they then need to grow more to pay them, which then necessitates hiring more people who also need paying, and so on.

Yes, but it still hurts them.

The thing is, doing this builds not a loyal fanbase that will stick with you, but an unstable fanbase that is likely to abandon you. If you're looking to the future, a loyal fanbase that will stick to watching your videos is what you want, since an unstable fanbase leads to a lower view/sub ratio. 

That's not to mention this completely puts their honesty in question, since they've said their viewers are their priority.

19 hours ago, ONOTech said:

I'll play Devil's Advocate for a hot minute.

• AMD may not have released the Ryzen R5 series at the time of the video either.
  • It's a sponsored build, so they were already in the hole $250. This build is actually $750, and there's no way you can put an R5 1600 + GTX 1070 combo for $750 comfortable excluding mail-in-rebates and flash deals.
  • 8 GB of RAM is fine for gaming.

Sponsored builds are not efficient at all. My only gripe with the video is the title - it's not a build guide. It's a sponsored build and should be titled accordingly.

TL;DR change the title and the video is fine

They put a disclaimer for the 580, so they at least should have one for Ryzen.

Still should've put attention to this.

Some games use more.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

As much as I support them doing everything they can to grow to make a niche topic a mainstream channel, even being more clickbiaty, LTT has been walking a thin line lately.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

To be frank, copying anyone's build log down to the exact hardware, no matter how reputable or whatever they are, is doing a build wrong. Use a build log for ideas, not for your actual build. If you're copying someone's build log to the letter, you're not thinking for yourself. But if you're someone who just wants a PC to play games on and decides to follow a random build, then okay.

I mean, people still buy pre-built systems despite the PCMR telling them how ducking glorious and money saving it is to build your own.