AMD stock price falls >20% in single day on lackluster Q1 earnings.

AnonymousGuy
3 minutes ago, FourCorners said:

My point was aimed more towards Ryzen, as barely being able to push 4ghz doesn't sound nearly sound as flashy as getting over 5Ghz on air on Intel's parts in terms of marketing towards the mainstream market who don't realize that the perfomence is comparable and don't give about pipelines

However, the same can be said for Polaris vs Pascal as Pascal can brag about being cabale of clocks over 2ghz while AMD are still battling out the $200 USD market with their current gen of cards

Yeah they don't hit 5 Ghz but at 4.1 Ghz they are toe to toe with a 5 Ghz intel processor and at 1500 Mhz they're toe to toe or better than nvidia's 2 Ghz

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

Yeah they don't hit 5 Ghz but at 4.1 Ghz they are toe to toe with a 5 Ghz intel processor and and 1500 Mhz they're toe to toe or better than nvidia's 2 Ghz

Ryzen is not toe to toe with Kaby Lake in single-threaded. They're still a ways behind. Polaris is on par though, for suree

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

Yeah they don't hit 5 Ghz but at 4.1 Ghz they are toe to toe with a 5 Ghz intel processor and and 1500 Mhz they're toe to toe or better than nvidia's 2 Ghz

I'm just saying that it's a lot easier to market and sell with bigger numbers on your box compared to your competator's

Just now, Energycore said:

Ryzen is not toe to toe with Kaby Lake in single-threaded. They're still a ways behind. Polaris is on par though, for suree

Single threaded not so much but over all cor usage they match kaby lake or do better... I wasn't singling out one aspect of the cpu but how it performs on a whole

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Single threaded not so much but over all cor usage they match kaby lake or do better... I wasn't singling out one aspect of the cpu but how it performs on a whole

Well AMD has more cores. But on 4-core only applications like Photoshop Intel still has a relevant edge.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, FourCorners said:

I'm just saying that it's a lot easier to market and sell with bigger numbers on your box compared to your competator's

I get what you're saying but some people should honestly just do their research before they go buy stuff.

Well AMD has more cores. But on 4-core only applications like Photoshop Intel still has a relevant edge.

Yeah I know, ryzen still behind ipc wise so anything that's ipc sensitive will still be better on intel

I get what you're saying but some people should honestly just do their research before they go buy stuff.

Which is why LTT is great :D

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Which is why LTT is great :D

Depends on the user giving advise tbh but yeah here's a good place to ask for advise (and pray it does turn into a pissing contest)

Depends on the user giving advise tbh but yeah here's a good place to ask for advise (and pray it does turn into a pissing contest)

Well I think there are more people giving good advice and having civil discussions than not, but I get you.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Not surprised the desktop market didn't make a huge impact to finances. Zen going into laptops should have a bigger change in revenue. Also server market.

I find it funny that people think that amd failed because the stock market overvalued their stock. They have a good earnings report and are doing well as a business all things considered. The only problem is their stock had risen to heights that are just not sustainable at this moment. If they continue to sell their new cpus and gpus like they have been I would expect the price of their stock to start growing again. Hopefully once it starts to grow again it doesn't grow at the rate it has in the past year because that is what caused this sudden drop in price.

58 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

The sad truth is most people don't. Enthusiasts like us are really small, small minority. (From what I've been seeing on this forum many people don't realize that)

I would say more than 90% of people around me don't know a single shit about computers. Yes they all have computers but they'll just buy whatever's popular, the one which the salesperson pushed to them, or the one they've fuzzily heard the name of. They would never ever try the less popular alternative in a million lifetimes. (Because of the fear that it will go wrong) Intel has been the leading player for too long, so it's probably going to be the only "trusty" name they've heard of. Salesperson, who want to complete a sale more than give sincere recommendations, would always show intel system to these people. They would not recommend product which they have to explain why. Plus I guess selling AMD system won't give them significantly higher kickbacks. AMD still has a long way to go to build up a strong brand image to these people. 

2 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Eh I wouldn't say middle of nowhere lol. It's about a 30 minute drive to Atlanta, 15 minute from peach tree city, and I live in Downtown Newnan which is beautiful. So can't complain haha.

I avoid Atlanta as much as I can.. Saturday was the first time I went through Atlanta on my way to Arabia for a bike ride in months. I like it up here.. I'm about 20ish to Silver Comet which I ride regularly, 35 to Gwinnett for hockey, and decent spot for highway hopping to get to the race tracks I work at.

4 hours ago, Damascus said:

Hmm, I've been thinking of buying AMD stock, now could be a good time...

4 hours ago, openthatchest said:

INVEST NOW!!!

Should have when it was $1

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

14 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Should have when it was $1

Lol, I didn't know AMD existed last year

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, mach said:

The sad truth is most people don't. Enthusiasts like us are really small, small minority. (From what I've been seeing on this forum many people don't realize that)

I would say more than 90% of people around me don't know a single s*** about computers. Yes they all have computers but they'll just buy whatever's popular, the one which the salesperson pushed to them, or the one they've fuzzily heard the name of. They would never ever try the less popular alternative in a million lifetimes. (Because of the fear that it will go wrong) Intel has been the leading player for too long, so it's probably going to be the only "trusty" name they've heard of. Salesperson, who want to complete a sale more than give sincere recommendations, would always show intel system to these people. They would not recommend product which they have to explain why. Plus I guess selling AMD system won't give them significantly higher kickbacks. AMD still has a long way to go to build up a strong brand image to these people. 

It's not just Intel vs AMD, either.  I sold a system yesterday with a Ryzen 1700 and originally with a Radeon card, for a guy that plans to use it for stitching drone images together and editing video.  Before coming to us, he had been looking at an Alienware Intel-based system with a GeForce 1080 from Best Buy.  That system was overkill where he didn't need it, and underwhelming where he did.  I built him a system that would match his needs, but for some reason he was hung up on that 1080.  He went back to BB and talked to a "tech" there, who convinced him he absolutely needed that 1080 for his work; so I changed it for him, because that's what the customer wanted.  Nearly $200 more for something that will have very little - if any - affect on his workload.

VEGA looks so bad from the leaks right now...no wonder it's going down!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 hours ago, Dietrichw said:

Not surprised the desktop market didn't make a huge impact to finances. Zen going into laptops should have a bigger change in revenue. Also server market.

what?

this is too early to show the impact of desktop ryzen sales.

AMD reported $984 million in revenue (up 18% year over year) and a $29 million net operating loss (down from $73 million year over year) as it claws its way back to profitability. The company also reported an 18% revenue increase due to Ryzen and GPU sales.

Notably, AMD has shipped Ryzen processors for only one month of the quarter, and it also has Vega slated for release in Q2. AMD's Naples platform will also help contribute moving forward, and market share gains in the lucrative data center segment will be a key growth driver in the future. AMD's Ryzen 3 processors are also slated for the second half of the year, which could help boost sales volume.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-stock-ryzen-cpu-share,34314.html

10 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

Cough failzen cough

Umm, in one month if sails gross margin went up, losses in the Computing and Graphics segment narrowed despite lower revenue, which was almost the same as the previous quarter in what is always the weakest quarter of the year.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

No market manipulation or anything plus its not like its the same market that devalued an airline when all they did was give their employees a fucking raise...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)