Transfer data from 250gb ssd to 2tb ssd?

Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
40 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

the main issue with this theory is

20240524_074843.thumb.jpg.880f56879f703e52500ee9357de664dc.jpg

id need to assign "D" but i cant because that's obviously already taken.

so how do i do this now? 

assign no drive letter? 

cancel?

i still think i should clone the drive but i had to initialize the new drive first anyway, right?

For the drive letter issue just swap them after copy using a temporary third letter D becomes Z then E becomes D (free now) then Z becomes E  🙂

It doesn't matter how it's called when copying 

I'd usually just copy the thing but there are some some emulators installed, also steam games, virtual dj, and also my pictures and music folders... so if i just copy the thing most of the stuff won't work and it'll be a hassle to make windows recognize it again i suppose  - so simple question: if i clone the drive to the new one there shouldn't be a problem, right? And then expand the volume or something because the new drive is obviously bigger?  Just asking if that's the best way to transfer the data?

(its a mx500 which comes with acronis clone software afaik)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

if i clone the drive to the new one there shouldn't be a problem, right? And then expand the volume or something because the new drive is obviously bigger?  Just asking if that's the best way to transfer the data?

That's what I'd do in this situation.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'd usually just copy the thing but there are some some emulators installed, also steam games, virtual dj, and also my pictures and music folders... so if i just copy the thing most of the stuff won't work and it'll be a hassle to make windows recognize it again i suppose  - so simple question: if i clone the drive to the new one there shouldn't be a problem, right? And then expand the volume or something because the new drive is obviously bigger?  Just asking if that's the best way to transfer the data?

Both are SATA ? And the original is a boot drive right ?

If yes it should work no problem

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Both are SATA ? And the original is a boot drive right ?

If yes it should work no problem

its not the bootdrive, i would still want to clone it so the links and programs don't get messed up (there's also one windows folder im not sure i need, but would want to clone that too)

so that's the question does it actually matter if it's the boot drive or not?

i just know the drive needs to have the exact same name and drive letter for this to work...

maybe im overthinking it but the stuff is all associated with several other programs ( as said there's so much stuff on it, save files, emulators, music...) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yes

If you just move the data, unmount the HDD, mount the SSD with the same drive letter, you should be fine

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

its not the bootdrive, i would still want to clone it so the links and programs don't get messed up (there's also one windows folder im not sure i need, but would want to clone that too)

i just know the drive needs to have the exact same name and drive letter for this to work...

maybe im overthinking it but the stuff is all associated with several other programs ( as said there's so much stuff on it, save files, emulators, music...) 

If it's not the boot drive a simple file copy will work as well, as long as the new drive gets the old drive's letter

Windows keeps install data in its registry (on boot drive) and saves and such in the users folders of the boot drive as well

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

so simple question: if i clone the drive to the new one there shouldn't be a problem, right? And then expand the volume or something because the new drive is obviously bigger?  Just asking if that's the best way to transfer the data?

Whenever I Acronis TI clone or back+restore to a larger drive, the rest of it is just unallocated. So, you then just expand in disk management to get the rest of the volume. The other way around is complicated, where I have to shrink the volume (assuming the actual data can fit) to match the smaller drive which usually works.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

On 5/22/2024 at 5:13 PM, PDifolco said:

If it's not the boot drive a simple file copy will work as well, as long as the new drive gets the old drive's letter

Windows keeps install data in its registry (on boot drive) and saves and such in the users folders of the boot drive as well

On 5/22/2024 at 5:25 PM, Agall said:

Whenever I Acronis TI clone or back+restore to a larger drive, the rest of it is just unallocated. So, you then just expand in disk management to get the rest of the volume. The other way around is complicated, where I have to shrink the volume (assuming the actual data can fit) to match the smaller drive which usually works.

On 5/22/2024 at 4:29 PM, Needfuldoer said:

That's what I'd do in this situation.

so how do i do this now? 

assign no drive letter? 

cancel?

i still think i should clone the drive but i had to initialize the new drive first anyway, right?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

40 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

so how do i do this now? 

assign no drive letter? 

cancel?

For the drive letter issue just swap them after copy using a temporary third letter D becomes Z then E becomes D (free now) then Z becomes E  🙂

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

^^ exactly what I did a few days ago 🤣

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

so how do i do this now? 

assign no drive letter? 

cancel?

Outside of Acronis True Image, I'm not sure. Its a software I inherited and works great with the right tricks. Its got its own boot environment, so you're cloning from there and not in Windows.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

On 5/24/2024 at 8:36 AM, PDifolco said:

yeah, this worked... its just i think if there's like certain windows files it might not... but as far i can tell it worked... so thanks.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity