AMD stock price falls >20% in single day on lackluster Q1 earnings.

AnonymousGuy
4 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Actually Q4 and Q1 next year will be the really telling ones.. Q4 is holiday buying season and their full line of Ryzen products will be out along with Vega. Then in Q1 18 you have tax return season... lots of people flush with cash looking to buy toys.

Agreed, which is why I would buy now at $9-$10 then wait for it to shoot up in January-May.

Marietta cool, I live in Newnan. Lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

11 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Actually Q4 and Q1 next year will be the really telling ones.. Q4 is holiday buying season and their full line of Ryzen products will be out along with Vega. Then in Q1 18 you have tax return season... lots of people flush with cash looking to buy toys.

What's to stop people from buying Intel/Nvidia with their tax returns or Christmas presents? I feel if they can't sell tons of them now, then they probably won't be outselling Intel or Nvidia by Christmas, and as much as I hate to say it I'm pretty sure GeForce GTX 1080 sounds cooler to the masses than Ryzen 5. I'm not saying AMD isn't making good hardware now but I doubt they'll see a huge increase just because Christmas comes around. Or tax returns. Most people I know use their tax returns on rent or mortgage

Just now, Eaglerino said:

What's to stop people from buying Intel/Nvidia with their tax returns or Christmas presents? I feel if they can't sell tons of them now, then they probably won't be outselling Intel or Nvidia by Christmas, and as much as I hate to say it I'm pretty sure GeForce GTX 1080 sounds cooler to the masses than Ryzen 5. I'm not saying AMD isn't making good hardware now but I doubt they'll see a huge increase just because Christmas comes around. Or tax returns. Most people I know use their tax returns on rent or mortgage

I don't think anyone could dream of AMD outselling Intel/NV anytime soon. They just gotta stay afloat and win a bit of marketshare. Also people need to be aware that it's not a one-brand industry.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I don't think anyone could dream of AMD outselling Intel/NV anytime soon. They just gotta stay afloat and win a bit of marketshare. Also people need to be aware that it's not a one-brand industry.

As long as they exist, or else monopoly lawsuits begin and that won't be good for anybody. It's not like I want AMD to fail but saying "wait until Christmas" sounds a lot like "Battleborn won't be dead when it's on sale"

6 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Newnan? That's a haul.. and in the middle of nowhere-ish :P

Eh I wouldn't say middle of nowhere lol. It's about a 30 minute drive to Atlanta, 15 minute from peach tree city, and I live in Downtown Newnan which is beautiful. So can't complain haha.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

3 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

As long as they exist, or else monopoly lawsuits begin and that won't be good for anybody. It's not like I want AMD to fail but saying "wait until Christmas" sounds a lot like "Battleborn won't be dead when it's on sale"

Well as it stands people only know of intel and nvidia... Even today some repair men came by my house to fix some windows and they were asking about the specs of my system and they looked at me strange when I said I was going to change my main rig to be AMD based.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Although it seems bad on the surface, AMD are actually doing pretty good in terms of actually selling products and regaining marketshare. With Q1 2017 earning results being an improvement over last year, and a predicted 12% increase in Q2, AMD are actually making progress.

It's only the fact that these so called market "experts" didn't think that AMD's progress justifies the inflated 300% increase in AMD's share price tag (which is too high for the amount of debt AMD are in). So these expert's make very bold statements saying that AMD's stock should only be worth $10 and scare the shit out of investors who decide they should dump their stocks faster than the Americans dumped English tea into the Boston harbour

I just wonder how much further AMD's stock will fall and if will ever bounce back to its insane highj of over $15 a share.

and the bubble bursted, man ... I wish I would've written this :$

D1Hp103.png

5 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

What's to stop people from buying Intel/Nvidia with their tax returns or Christmas presents?

Nothing of course, its absolutely knee jerk to go z0mg AMD sux0rz because stock report isn't what we thought it should be even though Ryzen 7 wasn't out for but one month of the quarter and they are doomed!!!!!!!!!!

In Q4 and Q1 18 the new entire line of processors will be out in big box stores and boutiques alike. Vega entire line will be out in big box stores and boutiques alike. You have to have product actually released in order for it to be seen in public. This will be Q4 and Q1 2018. It takes time for all this shit to be released and into the pipeline. It takes time to build the name again in the publics eye. If you want Intel and Nvidia by all means.. go buy it.

Just now, zMeul said:

D1Hp103.png

that line dropped faster than a man's pride after she says "that's it?"...

8 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Well as it stands people only know of intel and nvidia... Even today some repair men came by my house to fix some windows and they were asking about the specs of my system and they looked at me strange when I said I was going to change my main rig to be AMD based.

I have to agree that AMD still needs to build its brand reputation as it needs to break away from its "budget option" stigma  in the general public's eye and into another option for high end perfomance parts before they can expect to see any huge gains

Edited by FourCorners

Jeez talk about an over-reaction, they met expectations, and 20%+ drop is rediculous. I expected them to meet expectations and for the stock to stay the same not this.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Just now, FourCorners said:

I have to agree that AMD still needs to build its brand reputation as it needs to break away from its "budget option" stigma  in the general public's eye and into another option for high end perfomance parts

It's not that people still think AMD are bad because of past experience or as some users on this forum tout "They can't over clock as good as Nvidia nor Intel's offerings." but in fact for their design they actually do.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

About the only thing I learnt about stock pricing is that it is less about what they have done, and more about what the market thinks they will do. Doesn't mean they get it right by any means.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, XenosTech said:

It's not that people still think AMD are bad because of past experience or as some users on this forum tout "They can't over clock as good as Nvidia nor Intel's offerings." but in fact for their design they actually do.

I can agree that AMD's overclocking perfomance has been lacluster at best, but my main point is that the average non-tech savvy consumer who walks into Bestbuy to buy a prebuilt would still be will to spend the extra $100 on an Intel based system over a comparable AMD rig solely on that fact that the Intel sticker gives them more confidence that they are buying a superior product (similar to somebody buying an Apple product)

Just now, FourCorners said:

I can agree that AMD's overclocking perfomance has been lacluster at best, but my main point is that the average non-tech savvy consumer who walks into Bestbuy to buy a prebuilt would still be will to spend the extra $100 on an Intel based system over a comparable AMD rig solely on that fact that the Intel sticker gives them more confidence that they are buying a superior product (similar to somebody buying an Apple product)

Overclocking on Polaris is actually more fun and slightly more effective than on Pascal (but it does require BIOS flashing). But the 200 and 300 series really didn't OC and Ryzen is also pretty bad right now

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, FourCorners said:

AMD over-clocks as it should... They have a shorter pipeline in their CPU's and GPU's. shorter pipeline = less oc head room, longer pipeline = more oc head room. GN has a recent video the explains on it briefly.

18 minutes ago, zMeul said:

D1Hp103.png

Glad you didn't because you would of made stupid childish comments

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Cough failzen cough

48 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Well after their stock raised 300% some rubberbanding is to be expected, but let's wait and see how they do in Q2 whether it's Vega or Ryzen 3

I bought AMD stock four years ago when it was still $1 a share.  I wish I had known it'd surge all the way to $12 a few months back.  I would've bought thousands extra shares.  

1 minute ago, Darth Revan said:

Cough failzen cough

Explain how zen is a fail ?

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Overclocking on Polaris is actually more fun and slightly more effective than on Pascal (but it does require BIOS flashing). But the 200 and 300 series really didn't OC and Ryzen is also pretty bad right now

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

AMD over-clocks as it should... They have a shorter pipeline in their CPU's and GPU's. Longer pipeline = less oc head room, longer pipeline = more oc head room. GN has a recent video the explains on it briefly.

My point was aimed more towards Ryzen, as barely being able to push 4ghz doesn't sound nearly sound as flashy as getting over 5Ghz on air on Intel's parts in terms of marketing towards the mainstream market who don't realize that the perfomence is comparable and don't give about pipelines

However, the same can be said for Polaris vs Pascal as Pascal can brag about being cabale of clocks over 2ghz while AMD are still battling out the $200 USD market with their current gen of cards

1 hour ago, openthatchest said:

INVEST NOW!!!

why? Which new products will justiy an increase of the stock?