HD Tune vs HD Sentinel vs Crystaldiskinfo = Which Is Most Accurate ??

i got a 14-year-old Hitachi External HDD (rarely used - only 200+ hours power on time)............lately been clicking for a long time before it's detected by PC and able to transfer info to it without problems....

i ran an Error Scan with HD Tune but the drive was disconnected 1/3 of the way through and it detected 10 pending or weak sectors .............馃槵

but checking with Crystaldiskinfo and HD Sentinel - both seem to say the drive is okay with just 1 weak sector..........鈽癸笍

so which is giving the most accurate reading ??.馃......(please see the attached images)

Hitachi (HD Sentinel).png

Hitachi CrystalDiskInfo (22-5-2024).png

Hitachi HD Sentinel 2.png

Well they all say the same, 1 pending sector, and that's because it's what the drive says...

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Well they all say the same, 1 pending sector, and that's because it's what the drive says...

thanks for the reply...............just strange that HD Tune was 1/3 of the way through Error Scan and already showing 10 pending sectors............

Well we can't comment on that since there's no info. Maybe you need to restart it, if it disconnected maybe it lost power before it got to update the count...

I'd try a different USB cable/port as clicking on startup is typically poor power supply.聽

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, worstalentscout said:

thanks for the reply...............just strange that HD Tune was 1/3 of the way through Error Scan and already showing 10 pending sectors............

Can you shows us this hd tune result? Weak sectors technically don't count as current pending sectors. That might be the discrepancy you'r seeing between hd tune, and the others? Hd sentinel just calls current pending sectors as "weak" for some reason.

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Well we can't comment on that since there's no info. Maybe you need to restart it, if it disconnected maybe it lost power before it got to update the count...

I'd try a different USB cable/port as clicking on startup is typically poor power supply.聽

my whole pc is weird when it comes to external drives................the External HDD won't work on the motherboard's USB ports so i need to use the one on the pc case..........while my External SSDs only work on聽the motherboard's USB ports but not on the pc case's..........馃榿

2 hours ago, Ryker Robb said:

Can you shows us this hd tune result? Weak sectors technically don't count as current pending sectors. That might be the discrepancy you'r seeing between hd tune, and the others? Hd sentinel just calls current pending sectors as "weak" for some reason.

too bad i didn't take a screenshot of HD Tune back then...............it was 1/3 of the way through an Error Scan and i counted 10 red-coloured sectors already..........

12 hours ago, worstalentscout said:

i ran an Error Scan with HD Tune but the drive was disconnected 1/3 of the way through and it detected 10 pending or weak sectors .............馃槵

13 minutes ago, worstalentscout said:

too bad i didn't take a screenshot of HD Tune back then...............it was 1/3 of the way through an Error Scan and i counted 10 red-coloured sectors already..........

Oh, i see now. If the drive disconnects during the scan hd tune will start outputting errors. It probably wasn't from actual bad sectors. Try it again with a different usb cable, and even a different computer if you can.

11 minutes ago, Ryker Robb said:

Oh, i see now. If the drive disconnects during the scan hd tune will start outputting errors. It probably wasn't from actual bad sectors. Try it again with a different usb cable, and even a different computer if you can.

okay, maybe i'll try again............many thanks馃榾