User-made patch allows for Windows 7 and 8.1 users to install updates on Kaby Lake and Ryzen

Nowak
1 minute ago, manikyath said:

wine is coming a surprisingly long way, the main issue being that it's not "supported" so any potential program-sided bugs are essentially SoL.

it's a good piece of software, surprised it works with so much. I was running 2D RPGs in it on a Mac, no tweaks required! Shit's cool. 

idk

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

wine is coming a surprisingly long way, the main issue being that it's not "supported" so any potential program-sided bugs are essentially SoL.

Well its something I'll be looking into once this pc becomes crappy, maybe by then windows shall be overthrown by open source (though I doubt it)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

it's a good piece of software, surprised it works with so much. I was running 2D RPGs in it on a Mac, no tweaks required! Shit's cool. 

wine 2.x is so far proving shockingly reliable, on my list of things i'd want wine to support, it's currently about an 80/20 split between "platinum" support, and lesser to no support.

Just now, manikyath said:

wine 2.x is so far proving shockingly reliable, on my list of things i'd want wine to support, it's currently about an 80/20 split between "platinum" support, and lesser to no support.

good to know. foss can do good shit, just get the right people and a lot of time to kill. 

idk

To those saying what if MS patch it, the patch will then get a patch and we end up in a similar situation with other software limiting systems. In short, they don't work and will be broken. Repeatedly if needed.

Anyway, Windows 2000 forever! The last user friendly OS MS made. If they backported DX12 to Win7 there wouldn't be any need for Win10 and all its baggage on the consumer side.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

To those saying what if MS patch it, the patch will then get a patch and we end up in a similar situation with other software limiting systems. In short, they don't work and will be broken. Repeatedly if needed.

Anyway, Windows 2000 forever! The last user friendly OS MS made. If they backported DX12 to Win7 there wouldn't be any need for Win10 and all its baggage on the consumer side.

the issue that is looming with this patch that gives them updates is that skylake support on Win7 ends June, so backpedaling to skylake and faking that arch won't last too long. 

then they'll have to fake Haswell, which is definitely not 1:1 unlike Skylake:Kaby

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

the issue that is looming with this patch that gives them updates is that skylake support on Win7 ends June, so backpedaling to skylake and faking that arch won't last too long. 

then they'll have to fake Haswell, which is definitely not 1:1 unlike Skylake:Kaby

Unless there is something newer stating otherwise, looks like Skylake on Win7 is good for 2020.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2016/03/windows-7-windows-8-1-skylake-support/

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Unless there is something newer stating otherwise, looks like Skylake on Win7 is good for 2020.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2016/03/windows-7-windows-8-1-skylake-support/

thanks for the article, I read 2017 on MS's site. well, seems like if the patch gets pushed out by MS again, swapping CPUIDs will be the go for Win7 on Kaby. If it works for OSX, it works for Win7. 

idk

Just now, Technous285 said:

ReactOS is more an attempt at Open Source WinXP than Win7.

i like the wording there :D

*Wonders when Microsoft will do the same thing with video cards*

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Technous285 said:

Technically true, as it is still in the Alpha state (0.4.4) after development started in '98 as a Win95 clone. :P

Since then it's evolved to include NT compatability, and the devs are aiming to make the kernel & usermode APIs more compatible with NT 5.2 (aka: Server 2K3/64-bit XP).

and in the meantime... i still cant boot into an OS that includes very useful things.. like anything beyond a blue background..

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

and in the meantime... i still cant boot into an OS that includes very useful things.. like anything beyond a blue background..

If you can't boot it in normal mode, try debug mode, that one should work :P

It runs some stuff but with it being in alpha it's far from great. It will get there eventually tho, probably.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

let 7 die. 

8.1 is alright. 

7 was built for systems in a time where we didn't have PCHs, we didn't have DDR4, etc. 

The more people hold on to the antiquated piece of shit that 7 is, the more issues MS has with maintaining it and keeping it up to date

7 is now older than XP was when Vista released, let that sink in. 

True, W7 is long in extended support, but, by their Lifecycle policy, they are suppose to support a OS for a minimum of 10 years.

8.1 is just stupid from Microsoft though, that OS is still in main support for around one more year.

From their website:

lifecycle.PNG.d035abf2427152727da77d743507af8c.PNG

If Microsoft don't want to support a OS for 10 years, they need to update that policy.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Is there any news as to why only some Windows 7 installs are affected? I'm still getting updates on Windows 7 without any "patches".

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

True, W7 is long in extended support, but, by their Lifecycle policy, they are suppose to support a OS for a minimum of 10 years.

8.1 is just stupid from Microsoft though, that OS is still in main support for around one more year.

From their website:

lifecycle.PNG.d035abf2427152727da77d743507af8c.PNG

If Microsoft don't want to support a OS for 10 years, they need to update that policy.

lol, if the consumers don't like it they drop it fast as fuck 

case in point: 

Windows ME: released 2000, mainstream support ended q4 03, ext support ended 2006

hated by everybody who ran or used it.

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

lol, if the consumers don't like it they drop it fast as fuck 

case in point: 

Windows ME: released 2000, mainstream support ended q4 03, ext support ended 2006

hated by everybody who ram it.

ME is the black sheep for sure.

Though, whole different case here.  W7 is like XP.  Highly liked by many users.  I can understand why Microsoft trying to keep that from happening again.  If the user base is not moving, make a OS that the user base will gladly move to.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

Keep in mind that XP was supported for 13 years. 2001 - 2014.

4 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

ME is the black sheep for sure.

Though, whole different case here.  W7 is like XP.  Highly liked by many users.  I can understand why Microsoft trying to keep that from happening again.  If the user base is not moving, make a OS that the user base will gladly move to.

they've taken the good old philosophy of

"it's too hard to please everybody so just piss them off instead"

it's hard to maintain three code bases of the same operating system with security patches, etc, and microsoft are trying to decrease the workload and dedicate the 7 team to something better, like *snickers* game mode for Win 10 /s

idk

Just now, Daring said:

Keep in mind that XP was supported for 13 years. 2001 - 2014.

out of keeping people online and working for as long as possible. XP became the go-to stable codebase for people globally, even though it was anything but in the early days. 

especially after the vista debacle - that OS was too fancy and demanding for hw of that time, so people bought vista machines and put XP on it. 

idk

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

they've taken the good old philosophy of

"it's too hard to please everybody so just piss them off instead"

it's hard to maintain three code bases of the same operating system with security patches, etc, and microsoft are trying to decrease the workload and dedicate the 7 team to something better, like *snickers* game mode for Win 10 /s

Yeah, but not a great idea of pissing off the largest customers, business and the military.

We may not even see W10 fully deployed until another year or a few more years in our unit.  I saw one desktop with it, but no one was touching it.  :P

Reminds me of the roll out of W7 while I was in active duty....I felt sorry for help desk.  People were straight up hunting out the XP systems to use (like seriously, most of aircraft maintainers were fighting over who got the XP computer to use).

I have a sinking feeling that event is going to occur all over again.

Lol I laugh so hard at the windows 7 Fanboys hahahahaah oh man this is too funny. If you can't adapt and change with the times i don't know if you're living in the right century

Hell yeah, nice. But if MS patches this.. just when you think they can't get anymore evil.

And out of all of their OS's they've had 3 great ones(95, XP, 7) and the rest are pretty much garbage, haha.