Intel Playing Dirty to Undercut AMD

NuclearKing
2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Wait. Weren't you banned?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

24 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

This post is so dumb its hilarious. Undercutting is how all business do things, in fact, its normal practice.

If anyone find this to be surprising then they need to get a job and learn how it is in the real world.

Not in the tech world.

The geek himself.

17 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

They did, signifigantly

Retailers temporarily dropping prices to try to free up inventory space does not constitute Intel dropping prices. It's been done with Skylake, Broadwell, Haswell, Bulldozerm etc, and so on.

11 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Still not enough, the 6900K has to cost $500 or less to be competitive....

Eh, not quite that low. They would just have to lower it enough that quad channel memory and better performance in Intel optimized programming or certain instruction sets (AVX and HPC apparently) is enough to justify the cost.

Of course, that would be the case if AMD had a reputation outside of the being the last rate budget brand.

We're not likely to see any major price cuts in response to Ryzen, at least not on Intel's end. Intel will still make massive profits, even with Ryzen slowly eating its way into areas not covered well by Intel's offerings, because they're the company with "Intel Core i" being brandished in OEM PC commercials, the chips that have been in every high end system, from desktop to laptop, 2 in 1, and miniPC under the sun for years.

Successful for Ryzen is being successful enough that Zen+ is seen as a serious contender, not just by enthusiasts like me, @MageTank, @done12many2, @leadeater, but by OEMs like Dell, HP, Acer, and their Zen+ machines are sold and advertised to the same, or greater capacity as Intel's.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

35 minutes ago, NuclearKing said:

http://wccftech.com/intel-playing-dirty-undercut-amd-ryzen/

Clearly Intel is afraid of something, or at least are taking pro-active action in trying to reduce the AMD threat as soon as possible. I personally think that them trying to meddle with 'independent' reviewers before they release Ryzen reviews is absolutely shameful, and should be actively discouraged. 

Therefore when the embargo is lifted on March 2, I believe the tech community should take a close objective look at each review, and make their own conclusions based on the benchmarks provided, as the reviewers own benchmarks may or may not be influenced. We will have to see.

well they done it in the past when the first  dual core came out 

5 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Intel needs to lower there prices or no one is going to buy there products anymore, and they will become bankrupt.

I am pretty sure that is going to take some time. Also. Let's wait for the actual benchmarks first.

Intel incentivising the reviewers and businesses is akin to juror tampering. 

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Eh, not quite that low. They would just have to lower it enough that quad channel memory and better performance in Intel optimized programming or certain instruction sets (AVX and HPC apparently) is enough to justify the cost.

Well, 40 PCIe lanes and Quad-Channel DDR4 could be worth $50-100 more, but definitely not $500. If the 6900K/5960X drops down to $600, I will consider getting one and so will many X99 users who are currently using a 5820K/6800K...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, 40 PCIe lanes and Quad-Channel DDR4 could be worth $50-100 more, but definitely not $500. If the 6900K/5960X drops down to $600, I will consider getting one though and so will many X99 users who are currently using a 5820K/6800K...

Worth is determined by the user, and even if IPC between Ryzen and Broadwell were dead equal, optimization can push the Broadwell ahead in workloads that these chips will be realistically considered for.

And again, we're talking about a company with a massive reputation of being the best for 99 out of 100 use cases, vs a company that is seen as a compelling option for 1 out of 1000. That will skew the perceived worth, considerably in Intel's favor. And Intel can maintain that reputation for a good while by dumping a bit more funding into advertising. They can also throw around how much they spend in product R&D. They can also easily point out their massive 'product' list, things like Thunderbolt, Optane, RealSense, etc. etc.

AMD's at a massive disadvantage. AMD knows it. Intel knows it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

So rebates are dirty tricks now?

They only get rebates if they buy exclusively Intel. They did the same thing when they tried to enter the mobile market with their Atom processors.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I think I've heard about this.  I saw it posted at least twice before... there was a screenshot of some forum post showing that Intel was basically gonna try to tell people how to review RyZen. xD Yeah, no, they can kiss the reviewers' collective asses.

43 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Moderators removed a previous thread talking about the email Intel sent out to reviewers. Not just locked - actually deleted!

I'm wondering if someone has something to hide. Is LMG being paid by Intel to keep away the bad news? :)

As I said in that thread: this sounds like what the mafia does. Not that Intel haven't shied away from mafia tactics in the past.

Granted, it could be a hoax but it's not like Intel haven't done it before. So maybe Intel is just trying to be helpful? :) 

There must have been another reason for it.  Probably extremely poorly made or something, since any other reason would likely result in just getting locked and or moved.  LTT has nothing to hide :P  

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

This is implying that they might be trying to do what they did in the past where they pushed contracts where companies such as Dell and HP could only use intel chips for their PC's and if they didn't accept they would be pushed to the back of the line for chip availability. "Accept our exclusive contract or you don't get CPUs".

It is not known if they are going that far yet again, but they are being really pushy.

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

They only get rebates if they buy exclusively Intel. They did the same thing when they tried to enter the mobile market with their Atom processors.

So?  It's still not a dirty trick.  And as someone else said, these rumors are entirely unsubstantiated.

Just now, Dietrichw said:

This is implying that they might be trying to do what they did in the past where they pushed contracts where companies such as Dell and HP could only use intel chips for their PC's and if they didn't accept they would be pushed to the back of the line for chip availability. "Accept our exclusive contract or you don't get CPUs".

It is not known if they are going that far yet again, but they are being really pushy.

Even if this total rumor is legit, there's still no evidence that that's happening.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

38 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Sorry but one store isn't "Intel slashing prices" as you've said.

MicroCenter always throws huge deals to move back logged inventory in the wake of new products whether it be from Intel or AMD.

Here is what Intel has "cut prices" too at every other retailer out there. They're just soooooooo benevolent as you can see.....

Intel Prices.PNG

It may be from wccftech but intel has done this in the past and I wouldn't be surprised that they'd try it again

12 minutes ago, RotoCoreOne said:

It may be from wccftech but intel has done this in the past and I wouldn't be surprised that they'd try it again

Agreed that it's not entirely impossible, however there needs to be another, reliable source for that before we can consider this real or not, this is just worth nothing unless confirmed elsewhere.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

27 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They did more than rebates back then. They were well to do enough to basically push the competition out of the market, and only got hit for about 1/10th of annual profits for one year, whereas the lawsuit went on for ten.

I'm not going to conspire about this, but there's two ways this goes.

1. This turns out to be legitimate. In that case, we have every right to say "fuck you, Intel".

2. and the more probable answer, this is likely some bullshit story and if we get fooled, shame on us.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Also probably really hurts AMD off the get go that Apple runs Intel chips...may be a hard sell for AMD. Apple likes to lock all their customers to their own propriety gear...seems like they and Intel get along quite well.

Just now, Efilnikufesin said:

Also probably really hurts AMD off the get go that Apple runs Intel chips...may be a hard sell for AMD. Apple likes to lock all their customers to their own propriety gear...seems like they get along quite well.

Apple runs AMD GPUs for their products that have discrete GPUs.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Apple runs AMD GPUs for their products that have discrete GPUs.

Did not know that, though I never ran a Mac. hate fiddling with my sister's. Thanks.

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Good old Intel seems like it's going back doing shit >_>

Well, honestly this is out of all the things i could expect from them, the most realistic one.

They have done it in the past and the fines are just a joke so why shouldn't they... The agencies and crap that should stop this aren't going to do enough against it anyway just like the previous 2-3 or whatever times it happened.

I don’t think Intel would resort to blatantly illegal moves so soon however. As they were already accused once, to do the same again can greatly damage their PR, among other things. 

That said, Intel already offers lower prices for bulk orders, and as the Atom line had demonstrated, contra-revenue is far from unprecedented. Price cuts alone do not prove anti competitive behavior (or both AMD and Nvidia would be flayed alive otherwise), and exclusivity contracts likewise, are not exclusive to the tech industry.

Ironically, despite the history of underhanded (legal and otherwise) tricks, the only way Intel had truly been successful in critically damaging a competitor was by having a superior product (Sandy Bridge vs Bulldozer). Up to then, AMD held it's ground quite well in an uphill battle. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Ironically, despite the history of underhanded (legal and otherwise) tricks, the only way Intel had truly been successful in critically damaging a competitor was by having a superior product (Sandy Bridge vs Bulldozer). Up to then, AMD held it's ground quite well in an uphill battle. 

True, but this was after all the dirty tactics happened, essentially handicapping AMD's ability to even be competitive. They already lost all the profits, what kind of money did they have to invest in Bulldozer?

40 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think I've heard about this.  I saw it posted at least twice before... there was a screenshot of some forum post showing that Intel was basically gonna try to tell people how to review RyZen. xD Yeah, no, they can kiss the reviewers' collective asses.

There must have been another reason for it.  Probably extremely poorly made or something, since any other reason would likely result in just getting locked and or moved.  LTT has nothing to hide :P  

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Moderators removed a previous thread talking about the email Intel sent out to reviewers. Not just locked - actually deleted!

I'm wondering if someone has something to hide. Is LMG being paid by Intel to keep away the bad news? :)

As I said in that thread: this sounds like what the mafia does. Not that Intel haven't shied away from mafia tactics in the past.

Granted, it could be a hoax but it's not like Intel haven't done it before. So maybe Intel is just trying to be helpful? :) 

That was me as it didn't meet posting guidelines and the source also didn't meet the guidelines so there was little point asking for the thread to be corrected.

On 4/29/2013 at 7:09 PM, Windspeed36 said:

Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-posting-guidelines-read-before-posting/

If you read the posting guidelines for this section it requires that the source must be reputable, a screenshot from a website of a post someone made about a facebook post is about as far from the guidelines as possible so I hid it. There is also the global forum rule about no flame wars or flame war material so a news topic like this needs to be very strict in following the rules and ensuring it stays on topic and isn't just a shouting match, something not possible if the source is very suspect.

This is the source from the thread you are talking about which clearly doesn't meet posting guidelines:

Anyone heard of this? Found it on a facebook group.

mzA6i0t.png?1

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Well what Linus said about zen in the WAN show was on the edge af beeing an intel fanboy. He used most of the time to talk about intel exclusives and the usage of the iGPU instead of actually say soming about Ryzen.

And I'm sure Intel at least tries to use it's dominant market position to lose as less customers to AMD as possible. There is way to much money involveld for not doing it. The only question is: how far will tehey go?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil