How can I 100% REMOVE Windows Copilot??

PowerPCFan
Go to solution Solved by Thomas4,

From Microsoft themselves:

The easiest way to disable Copilot is to hide it from the taskbar. To do this, right-click on the Copilot icon in the taskbar and uncheck the option ‘Show Copilot button’. This will remove the Copilot button from the taskbar, but you can still access Copilot by pressing the Windows + C shortcut key.

If you want to completely remove Copilot from your system, you will need to use either the Group Policy Editor or the Registry Editor. These methods are more advanced and require caution, as they can affect your system settings and performance. Before you proceed, make sure you back up your registry or create a restore point in case something goes wrong.

To remove Copilot using the Group Policy Editor, you will need to have Windows 11 Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions. The Group Policy Editor is a tool that allows you to configure various policies and settings for your computer and user accounts. To access the Group Policy Editor, type gpedit.msc in the Start menu or the Run command and hit Enter. Then, navigate to the following folder using the left panel: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot. On the right-side pane, double-click on the policy ‘Turn off Windows Copilot’ and select ‘Enabled’. Then, click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’. This will disable Copilot entirely and remove it from the Settings app as well.

To remove Copilot using the Registry Editor, you can use any edition of Windows 11. The Registry Editor is a tool that allows you to view and modify the registry, which is a database that stores information about your system and applications. To access the Registry Editor, type regedit in the Start menu or the Run command and hit Enter. Then, navigate to the following key using the left panel: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced. On the right-side pane, right-click on an empty space and select ‘New > DWORD (32-bit) Value’. Name it ‘ShowCopilotButton’ and set its value data to 0. Then, click ‘OK’. This will hide the Copilot button from the taskbar and disable its functionality.

How do I remove Windows Copilot in windows 11? I'm trying to customize my Windows installation as much as I can but don't want to switch to Linux because of Windows-only apps and games that are ESSENTIAL. 

I don't need AI in my operating system... I can just go to chat.openai.com or gemini.google.com if I need AI assistance. 

I know how to remove the copilot button from the taskbar but that doesn't DELETE it... is there a way to completely remove it? 

Also, how do I pause Windows feature updates but continue security updates? I'm pretty happy with the current state of Windows 11 and I don't want a dumb feature update adding or removing things that I use. 

The Chris Titus Tech Windows utility has the option to pause feature updates for 1-2 years and continue security updates... but can I stop them forever? 

Link to CTT WinUtil: https://christitus.com/windows-tool/

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

5 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

is there a way to completely remove it? 

Probably not cleanly. You can totally disable all its functions with reg edit, however. (Found in a 3 second google search)

Copy this into a new .reg file and run it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot]
"TurnOffWindowsCopilot"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge]
"HubsSidebarEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]
"DisableSearchBoxSuggestions"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer]

To revert, do the same with this.

"TurnOffWindowsCopilot"=-

"HubsSidebarEnabled"=-

"DisableSearchBoxSuggestions"=-

I just leave it all alone as it doesn't bother me in the least and I have a modern system. I spend too much time fixing others PC's that muck with stuff like this and then can't Google how to fix it themselves.

no they'll just reinstall it on the next update , any method you come up with , gets patched in the next update.

that's whats great about windows , you pay for the privilege of them legally doing anything they want to your computer. not only can they decide to reinstall copilot , but they can also just copy all your files , hand them over to the nsa , then give you a big middle finger and laugh knowing you agreed to their terms and can't afford to sue them. welcome to the future.

7 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

Also, how do I pause Windows feature updates but continue security updates? I'm pretty happy with the current state of Windows 11 and I don't want a dumb feature update adding or removing things that I use. 

The Chris Titus Tech Windows utility has the option to pause feature updates for 1-2 years and continue security updates... but can I stop them forever? 

Link to CTT WinUtil: https://christitus.com/windows-tool/

WSUS can do this if you want to setup a little server box. You can manually approve what updates you want. 

But the feature updates only get about 2 years of support so your forced to basically do every feature update if you want to have a supported os. The first version of windows 11 has already gone EOL. You can go with a long term support branch, but that can have its own problems with lack of software support in some programs.

17 minutes ago, emosun said:

no they'll just reinstall it on the next update , any method you come up with , gets patched in the next update.

that's whats great about windows , you pay for the privilege of them legally doing anything they want to your computer. not only can they decide to reinstall copilot , but they can also just copy all your files , hand them over to the nsa , then give you a big middle finger and laugh knowing you agreed to their terms and can't afford to sue them. welcome to the future.

so there's another reason to pause updates! 

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

57 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Probably not cleanly. You can totally disable all its functions with reg edit, however. (Found in a 3 second google search)

Copy this into a new .reg file and run it.

"HubsSidebarEnabled"=dword:00000000

To revert, do the same with this.

"HubsSidebarEnabled"=-

I just leave it all alone as it doesn't bother me in the least and I have a modern system. I spend too much time fixing others PC's that muck with stuff like this and then can't Google how to fix it themselves.

Thanks... I actually already did the DisableSearchBoxSuggestions a while ago to remove Bing search from the start menu, but I'll try those other ones. 

I have TONS of registry tweaks (at this point, i basically have a custom registry lol) and my PC is fine so a few more won't hurt it, right? 😄 

Edit: didn't try those because the solution below worked. thanks for the suggestions though!! 

The easiest way to disable Copilot is to hide it from the taskbar. To do this, right-click on the Copilot icon in the taskbar and uncheck the option ‘Show Copilot button’. This will remove the Copilot button from the taskbar, but you can still access Copilot by pressing the Windows + C shortcut key.

If you want to completely remove Copilot from your system, you will need to use either the Group Policy Editor or the Registry Editor. These methods are more advanced and require caution, as they can affect your system settings and performance. Before you proceed, make sure you back up your registry or create a restore point in case something goes wrong.

To remove Copilot using the Group Policy Editor, you will need to have Windows 11 Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions. The Group Policy Editor is a tool that allows you to configure various policies and settings for your computer and user accounts. To access the Group Policy Editor, type gpedit.msc in the Start menu or the Run command and hit Enter. Then, navigate to the following folder using the left panel: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot. On the right-side pane, double-click on the policy ‘Turn off Windows Copilot’ and select ‘Enabled’. Then, click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’. This will disable Copilot entirely and remove it from the Settings app as well.

To remove Copilot using the Registry Editor, you can use any edition of Windows 11. The Registry Editor is a tool that allows you to view and modify the registry, which is a database that stores information about your system and applications. To access the Registry Editor, type regedit in the Start menu or the Run command and hit Enter. Then, navigate to the following key using the left panel: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced. On the right-side pane, right-click on an empty space and select ‘New > DWORD (32-bit) Value’. Name it ‘ShowCopilotButton’ and set its value data to 0. Then, click ‘OK’. This will hide the Copilot button from the taskbar and disable its functionality.

Wait for update on Chris titus tech winutil.

He'll probably gonna add that in maybe in future.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

15 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

THANK YOU, I recently upgraded to Windows 11 Pro and realized I now have access to Group Policy Editor so this is gonna be easy if this works! Trying it now

Edit: it worked, thank you!!

35 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Wait for update on Chris titus tech winutil.

He'll probably gonna add that in maybe in future.

Hes tha goat, I don't even have copilot since I have delayed my feature updates for windows 11 by 2yrs and only install the essential security updates from the winutil tweaks setting I think. 

Just now, goatedpenguin said:

Hes tha goat, I don't even have copilot since I have delayed my feature updates for windows 11 by 2yrs and only install the essential security updates by winutil. 

nice! just did the same

Completely untouched Windows 11 Home, I dont see Copilot anywhere and I've not adjusted anything. I just let it be. 🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.b5f52cac6372008077b1475b1f691f8a.png

42 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Completely untouched Windows 11 Home, I dont see Copilot anywhere and I've not adjusted anything. I just let it be. 🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.b5f52cac6372008077b1475b1f691f8a.png

nice wallpaper

Aren't they pushing the disabled/removed copilot back with updates?

6 hours ago, pchelp said:

Aren't they pushing the disabled/removed copilot back with updates?

I think so, but I paused feature updates with the CTT winutil so I'm good

I was going to ask something similar, like where are in install files for it? disabling it via group policy and tools like Winaero Tweaker  or Shutup 10 is fine and dandy but its still on the system.

ive disabled windows update, and removed its files, its not going to run, so the next step after everything else is to fully remove the files that allow copilot to run.