CPU Temperature Too High with Noctua NH-D15

lididx

Approximately five months ago, I assembled my PC with an I7 14700kf-series processor. Recently, I've observed the CPU temperature reaching concerning levels under load.

While playing Battlefield 2042, the maximum temperature can climb as high as 100 degrees Celsius. It's quite surprising considering the hefty Noctua NH-D15 cooler I have installed.

Before diving into replacing the thermal paste, are there any other potential causes I should investigate? I've attached an image illustrating the temperature readings before and after stress testing.

An NH-D15 really isn't enough for modern i7s or i9s stock, you need a 360mm aio and/or manual cpu tuning. Turn off E-cores and HT, it will significantly reduce temps and perform the same or better in games as most don't use more than 8 threads.

Edit: get a contact frame too if you haven't already.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.8GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.35v High LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs w/ 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

You didn't mention ambient temperature, or case? There's.not much any cooler can do if you have no air flow, or its always hot in your room anyways. 

I've got a NH-D15 on a 12900K and 13900K currently. 

Please give:

• System Specs
  • Photo so we can see fans
  • Idle temps
  • Room temp
  • Do you use A/C?

Assuming the protective plastic on the cold plate of the D15, and that you mounted it correctly, I'm not surprised. I can cool my 12700k with the Noctua U12A, but you have a much hotter CPU. 

In addition to the suggestions above, try undervolting the CPU,  which will get the temps down somewhat. Really, though, you need a better cooler and most likely a water cooler if that doesn't work. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

9 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Please give:

• System Specs
  • Photo so we can see fans
  • Idle temps
  • Room temp
  • Do you use A/C?

Assuming the protective plastic on the cold plate of the D15, and that you mounted it correctly, I'm not surprised. I can cool my 12700k with the Noctua U12A, but you have a much hotter CPU. 

In addition to the suggestions above, try undervolting the CPU,  which will get the temps down somewhat. Really, though, you need a better cooler and most likely a water cooler if that doesn't work. 

22 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

You didn't mention ambient temperature, or case? There's.not much any cooler can do if you have no air flow, or its always hot in your room anyways. 

I've got a NH-D15 on a 12900K and 13900K currently. 

23 hours ago, rippy4500 said:

An NH-D15 really isn't enough for modern i7s or i9s stock, you need a 360mm aio and/or manual cpu tuning. Turn off E-cores and HT, it will significantly reduce temps and perform the same or better in games as most don't use more than 8 threads.

Edit: get a contact frame too if you haven't already.

23 hours ago, lididx said:

Approximately five months ago, I assembled my PC with an I7 14700kf-series processor. Recently, I've observed the CPU temperature reaching concerning levels under load.

While playing Battlefield 2042, the maximum temperature can climb as high as 100 degrees Celsius. It's quite surprising considering the hefty Noctua NH-D15 cooler I have installed.

Before diving into replacing the thermal paste, are there any other potential causes I should investigate? I've attached an image illustrating the temperature readings before and after stress testing.

Sorry I didn't notice I didn't attach the pictures

This is the computer:

Intel Core i7 14700KF / 1700 Tray

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX

Corsair DDR5 32G (2x16G) 6400 CL32 Vengeance Black

Corsair 4000D Airflow TG Case
RTX 4080 Asus pro art

Idelmod.png.bd91f9e4e3d1ea7673c4ed7a7e768014.pngWhileplaying.png.d77e08e16160de699a812cdf393c0f32.png

The rest of the parts in the computers are perfectly fine, tomorrow I will open the computer and check that everything is fine in terms of thermal paste and maybe I really forget the plastic by mistake.
if everthing is fine i will consider buying a water coller 
got any recomendation ?

7 minutes ago, lididx said:

Sorry I didn't notice I didn't attach the pictures

This is the computer:

Intel Core i7 14700KF / 1700 Tray

Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX

Corsair DDR5 32G (2x16G) 6400 CL32 Vengeance Black

Corsair 4000D Airflow TG Case
RTX 4080 Asus pro art

Idelmod.png.bd91f9e4e3d1ea7673c4ed7a7e768014.pngWhileplaying.png.d77e08e16160de699a812cdf393c0f32.png

The rest of the parts in the computers are perfectly fine, tomorrow I will open the computer and check that everything is fine in terms of thermal paste and maybe I really forget the plastic by mistake.
if everthing is fine i will consider buying a water coller 
got any recomendation ?

If you're going to play AAA games or do anything else demanding, I would look at the long list of excellent AIOs.

If you've an interest in being able to maintain your AIO, seek one out that has a flush & fill port.

Here are some options to consider:

Endorfy Navis F360

Arctic Liquid Freezer III 360 (has a VRM fan)

DeepCool Mystique, LS720 or LT720

SilverStone IceMyst (you can add VRM fans that can be rotated around the hub to wherever you need them to point)

Lian Li Galahad II Trinity Performance

Thermalright Frozen Notte or Frozen Magic Scenic V2

And there are several others that rank right up there with those.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

sounds like a bad mount  or fan speeds too low

or maybe the room temp is too high