Apple leaks new MacBook Pro with touch strip

Muffinator

macbook1.PNG

Apple is widely expected to unveil a redesigned MacBook Pro at an event on Thursday, but it looks like it may have let a couple images slip out early. MacRumors spotted a pair of images hidden inside yesterday's update to macOS Sierra, both of which show a new MacBook Pro, a touch panel above its keyboard, and a fingerprint reader.

The images show a narrower MacBook Pro with slimmer bezels around both the keys and screen. The keys all look to be flatter, likely adopting the same slim format used on the MacBook. Otherwise, the design looks more or less like the Pro we know today.

I'm definitely excited to hear Apple's full event on Thursday. Would be cool if you could customize what the screen does based on the application you are using.

For example: Custom Macro keys or maybe even commonly used shortcuts like copy and paste, undo and redo etc. 

EDIT: Wow, I know it can do buttons and notifs and the like. But will the user be able to customize those buttons, and add more, etc. My bad :S

macbook2.PNG

But the highlight of these images is of course the touch strip at the top of the keyboard, which has been rumored for months. The images give an early idea of what it'll be like in use: completely blank and black when the computer is off, and able to display colors, buttons, and symbols in response to whatever comes up on-screen.

One of the pictures shows it being used for Apple Pay. An arrow points to the right corner of the touch strip, where a Touch ID fingerprint reader is located

Still not what we meant when asking for a touchscreen on a Mac. :P

Sauce: http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/25/13408862/apple-new-macbook-pro-with-touch-strip-leaks

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

That's p cool tbh. Touch strip would be great for thing like that.

Probably does notifications too. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Meh. I'm over "touch" controls. They never work well. What's wrong with physical buttons?

And yes, the article noted that it could do notifications. 

11 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

-Snip-

And yes, the article noted that it could do notifications. 

Sorry for my bad wording, I knew it could do notifications, although i'm not sure if they will add "buttons" to the strip that change based on the application being used.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

1 minute ago, Muffinator said:

Sorry for my bad wording, I knew it could do notifications, although i'm not sure if they will add "buttons" to the strip that change based on the application being used.

I would imagine they would considering that the function buttons have been removed.

TouchID integration into Macs will be an interesting thing. It means that somewhere there's a chip similar to the secure enclave present in iDevices with TouchID, which means it'll be pretty hard to crack into a Mac with that thing installed, similar to how iPhones and iPads are kinda impossible to get into without a passcode/fingerprint. 

Now I hope it won't be a MacBook Pro exclusive and get it to the other Macs at well, sooner than later.

Ye ole' train

I don't get the utility of this features. I mean it is cool... but it more of a gimmick. You'll play for it for a month.. I am sure you'll visualization and such on it, but ultimately it would be distracting. I guess, it can be made, so that for example, PhotoShop can show you direct access items on it, but I think any professional already knows the keyboard shortcuts.

It is nice to see Apple implementing TouchID.. finally joining 2004-05? tech. Better late than ever, I guess.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't get the utility of this features. I mean it is cool... but it more of a gimmick. You'll play for it for a month.. I am sure you'll visualization and such on it, but ultimately it would be distracting. I guess, it can be made, so that for example, PhotoShop can show you direct access items on it, but I think any professional already knows the keyboard shortcuts.

People asked for a touchscreen and they gave us this.:P

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is nice to see Apple implementing TouchID.. finally joining 2004-05? tech. Better late than ever, I guess.

If it was 2004-05 it would be shit. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Gimmicks.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Touch Strip... sounds like a club in Vegas...

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Wow another way to provide money to apple, as if their stuff is not already more expensive than its worth...

Capture4.JPG

Dont forget this will be hailed as another "innovation" by Apple ... :P  

May the iSheeple line up in droves.................................. /s

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

lol.gif

lol2.gif

lol4.gif

lol3.gif

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Wow another way to provide money to apple, as if their stuff is not already more expensive than its worth...

Capture4.JPG

Dont forget this will be hailed as another "innovation" by Apple ... :P  

Well technically the implementation of a touch strip is kinda innovative. Ground breaking? No. 

Curious to see how well it is implemented across other programs. I guess people will be forced to use Safari over chrome for now if they want to use Apple Pay on their MBPs.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Can't wait to replace my 2011 MacBook Air 13". I'm hoping that they've kept the scissor switch mechanism for the keyboard because the typing experience in the MacBook Retina 2015 was not good which uses the butterfly switch. TouchID is a plus for me but does it mean they're bringing the Secure Enclave Co-processor from the iPhone to the Mac or they now bringing TPM chips to the Mac? I think the reason why Apple is still not releasing a touchscreen Mac is because there's no widespread adoption even with Windows PCs. I mean, most OEMs are still shipping laptops with no touchscreens, not to mention the plummeting PC sales that Windows 10 failed to address so I can see why Apple is not doing the same. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Im interested, though my company bought the mac book i use so im not about to replace it. The only downside is that i need the function keys and it seems like more and more stuff is stopping using them which is a real pain in my ass.

Im interested what type of third party support it will get.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

2 hours ago, silberdrachi said:

Im interested, though my company bought the mac book i use so im not about to replace it. The only downside is that i need the function keys and it seems like more and more stuff is stopping using them which is a real pain in my ass.

Im interested what type of third party support it will get.

Most likely the touch bar has function keys on it normally, then depending on the context, pop-ups like the Apple Pay thing in the pictures will appear there. No idea if that's how it will actually be, but it would be pretty absurd to completely remove function keys just for this.

4 minutes ago, Eztrcfyu said:

Most likely the touch bar has function keys on it normally, then depending on the context, pop-ups like the Apple Pay thing in the pictures will appear there. No idea if that's how it will actually be, but it would be pretty absurd to completely remove function keys just for this.

MacBook Pro is aimed, as the name suggest, at least used to be aimed, at professionals. Professionals tend to use complex software that require the usage of F# keys, and usually the user doesn't really look at the keyboard when pressing them. Now, you won't be able to feel the keys, and might hit 2x F# keys or miss the key you wanted to press (hitting another F# key next to it). It will be annoying to use.

I wonder if Apple purposefully leaked this image 2 days in advance to get this downside pointing done, so that it is not talked about at or after the reveal, as if it has been forgotten, and allow the people not following such news not know about the design flaw until they already bought the product... and see that they can't get used to it, well after the return period ends.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

snip

Why are you knocking it before trying it?

Oh right, because it's not Microsoft introducing it ...

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Didn't lenovo implement something like this?

Anyways, never a fan of touch buttons.  The top bar will be great for sending the user ads reminders though lol. 

Will it have more than 1 USB port?

10 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

If it was 2004-05 it would be shit. 

It worked perfectly on my Toshiba Tecra M5. I could even use the sensor for horizontal and vertical scrolling.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

For consumers it's good since those pesky F-butons are gone that they probably never touch.
For power users it's also nice if the strip changes properly along with the functions of the software, but on the other hand it's something else that is more easily to break.

I will sit this one out until I see it in practice or able to try it myself.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.