Apple leaks new MacBook Pro with touch strip

Muffinator

Regardless of whether it's innovative, cool, a rip-off, useful, or whatsoever... would it really have been too much to ask to just have it above the regular function keys instead of as a replacement? 

I get that you can use the screen-strip to also portray those same function keys, but the issue is that you simply cannot use them blind because you cannot 'feel' them.  I just don't see why they did away with those function keys... I don't think there'd be half as much complaints and raised eyebrows if they just added it as an extra instead of a replacement. 

22 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

Regardless of whether it's innovative, cool, a rip-off, useful, or whatsoever... would it really have been too much to ask to just have it above the regular function keys instead of as a replacement? 

I get that you can use the screen-strip to also portray those same function keys, but the issue is that you simply cannot use them blind because you cannot 'feel' them.  I just don't see why they did away with those function keys... I don't think there'd be half as much complaints and raised eyebrows if they just added it as an extra instead of a replacement. 

The perfect implementation would have been to have it in front of the Function keys. But this would have made the keyboard a bit more awkwardly positioned and the track-pad wouldn't be able to be made larger.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

its apple, it will most probably work perfectly, fluidly and have very decent implementation for the majority of users. whether you like it or not you cant deny that, and also during 2017 most other manufacturers will start trying to copy it.

6 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You mean where the keys are the flat chiclet style?

He means like the keyboard on the Macbook 2015/2016. Apple introduced a new keyboard for it that uses butterfly switches (which are just bad in comparison to the traditional Macbook Air/Pro keyboard -- which is excellent).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, Jovidah said:

Even the trackpad is a fake click, no reason to think Apple would've implemented some haptic feedback in the top bar as well to emulate a button press.

Ye ole' train

On 10/26/2016 at 1:12 AM, Tataffe said:

Why are you knocking it before trying it?

Oh right, because it's not Microsoft introducing it ...

not because its not microsoft its because its apple. its like asking why dont we give donald trump a chance at being president before we judge him. well because hes donald trump 

5 hours ago, LordLeewee said:

its apple, it will most probably work perfectly, fluidly and have very decent implementation for the majority of users. whether you like it or not you cant deny that, and also during 2017 most other manufacturers will start trying to copy it.

just like how the macbook with one port and thermal throttles a core m cpu and the iphone 7 with no headphone jack worked perfectly

before my attitude towards apple is eh they are not for me but not a bad choice for other people but im getting more and more disdain for apple

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 10/26/2016 at 5:05 PM, djdwosk97 said:

snip

On 10/26/2016 at 5:05 PM, Bsmith said:

snip

I mush say I wasn't expecting actually such a highly "customizable" bar. I'm glad to see I was wrong. I do like it. 

Mind you if it becomes more spread, I hope for even higher customization, for instance some games might have huge problems with it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

22 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Even the trackpad is a fake click, no reason to think Apple would've implemented some haptic feedback in the top bar as well to emulate a button press.

It's not the clickety part, the problem is that you can't 'feel' where you are, which buttons you are touching. 

You'd be surprised how much our brain relies on these subtle kind of 'guides' subconsciously when you're blindly using them... For the same reason it's really damn difficult to blind-type on a touchscreen.

4 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I mush say I wasn't expecting actually such a highly "customizable" bar. I'm glad to see I was wrong. I do like it. 

Mind you if it becomes more spread, I hope for even higher customization, for instance some games might have huge problems with it. 

Indeed, so far it looks pretty awesome. I personally it is something that catches on and keyboards manufactures consider it as a thing to add to certain models, that would be epic and should be achievable with usbC/ usb 3.1.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

Indeed, so far it looks pretty awesome. I personally it is something that catches on and keyboards manufactures consider it as a thing to add to certain models, that would be epic and should be achievable with usbC/ usb 3.1.

I wouldn't have high hopes for a touch bar in the windows environment since you're highly dependent on developer support. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

I wouldn't have high hopes for a touch bar in the windows environment since you're highly dependent on developer support. 

true, but on the otherhand, if it catches on at apple up to the point that web browsers or widely used software get some (limited) additional support or functions out of it there is a reason for manufactures to consider it, if done (like most things) right it can probably catch on especially if it's made open source, then there is more reason (and more people) that might have an interest in it. let's not forget what kind of movement's the first (or second?) gen iphone and the macbook air(aka ultrabooks) it might be apple, but weird things can catch on IF done right.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.