Apple leaks new MacBook Pro with touch strip

Muffinator
9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

There really weren't any good implemntations of fingerprint authentication in the past. The SP4's implementation is pretty good though. Yes, TouchID is far more useful on a phone, but it can still be useful on a laptop -- espsecially since Apple is trying to push Apple Pay in Safari (which is good since there are certain sites where you really may not want to enter your information -- either because you'll never use it again or because you don't know how safe it is).

It's all about how well the software handles things and how much third parties take advantage of it. Razer's keyboard-display doesn't work all too well because it doesn't have great support. 

Except still no. People had no interest in fingerprint scanners because there experience with them was that they were atrociously awful, and Razer's keyboard-screen hasn't caught on because people don't find it all that useful -- because it doesn't have great software support. 

Literally by defintion, TouchID was innovative. (touchID on a mac less so since the SP4 has a good fingerprint scanner)

Some business laptops had decent finger print readers the $600 dollar crap laptops that had em just to check the box of being in the fad were terrible back in the day apple is not the only company to do a decent fingerprint scanner. 

The notification screens on many products have not been done that well and i could see apple doing a better job but i think these failed more then just software support  im intrested in how well they do this part of it personally 

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

What is it that you used touch for? Touch doesn't really offer much when you have a good trackpad (which again, most windows laptops don't have -- and hence why touch is important).

there is times where just flicking my middle finger is more comfortable when im in my typing position or if im watching a movie or doing something i dont have my hadd on the computer already sometimes a swipe to check notifications is easier then putting my hand on the trac pad getting the mouse exiting full screen and clicking notifications  

There is nothing major like i said before but its nice feature to have and does not cost much at all there is not much reason to not include one imo. i dont think its completely ness but gives you more options when doing tasks not just cause a good amount of tracpads suck 

37 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

there isnt anything major touchscreen windows is great for but Its nice to have for the little things. Once you get use to the small gestures you use for it its annoying to not have. youll get use to not having it but i think it is a nice feature to have on some laptops regardless if the TP is good or bad 

Exactly those little things are tasks which are painfully cumbersome in most laptops. I'm pretty sure if you give a mouse to a touchscreen user, his screen interaction would reduce almost to zero because scrolling and zooming (sometimes) can be done with a mouse easily. On a Mac, these things are a non-issue and the trackpad is as accurate as a modern smartphone's touch screen.

And again, there's habit. If you suddenly give people like Linus a non-touchscreen laptop, he will definitely find himself touching the screen only to realize it's not (I have first hand experiance of this). But once you do overcome your habit, you will never miss the touchscreen on a MacBook. With WIndows devices on the other hand, I cannot say exactly the same as zooming and scrolling are still a pain in the ass (atleast from the laptops I have used up till now)

There has never been a more appropriate time for this video

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

I guess because I am a Windows user... I have all this on my task bar already. And my keyboard has media keys.

Your taskbar has shortcut icons, it's not a dynamic screen. Media keys only work when the particular software is actually open (another problem with windows), Again let me be more specific, your laptop can show alerts of updating or downloading updates (power nap feature) while it's shut off. Endless possibiliets and who knows what others will come up with

Well, don't turn on notification when a mouse of a friend moves to alert you... that would help things in getting notification that truly matter.

I'm sorry, I did'nt really understaand what you said here. My point being, turn on DnD if you find notification distracting

Software have shortcuts which are usually standard between programs of similar type. Now I am not a PhotoShop expert, or ever really used the software. But a quick Google search shows that indeed there is a shortcut for brush size.

Umm ok, are you saying shift+ (multiple arrow presses) is more convinient than a finger slide? And again you completely forget the other uses

Yes... every month, technology gets better and better. It is always normal that newer technologies are better than older ones (usually).

Finger print reader got better over time, in both hardware and software (including security).

Yes, but it took Apple to bring out that change. I can guarntee you there might be some random high end laptop which had the old shitty fingerprint sensor when the 5S released. Apple did some truely great work with, and if you remeber the first copy S5 had a horrible reader and it is only now that comeptitors have caught up in terms of speed and accuracy of fingerprint readers. Whatever you say, you can't deny that Apple did something here

Finger print reader were always on laptops. 

No it faded out very quickly. It was like the 'new thing' of a certain time, but it faded out very fast. Whatever you said later was just rambling irrelevent to the current topic of discussion

You could argue that Apple showing that finger print reader has a place on the consumer hands and not just business,

Anyone who knows what a fingerprint reader is definitely knows its uses. Consumers loved it at first only to be disappointed by how unreliable it was which again was solved by Apple in 2013

but..the Surface Pro 4 keyboard cover has a finger print reader. It is integrated with Windows Hello, which is integrated everywhere. So, you can do online purchases with Edge, you can do Store purchases from Windows, login to your system and have it decrypt files, and offers a full set of APIs to allow other software to use it. And so far, Windows Hello is very secure.

SP4 has it now, not then. Why? becasue fingerprint suddenly became popular after 2013. What I did say was that fingerprint sensors will be on device next gen instead of being an extra added feature avaialable at premium just to compete with MacBooks

Well.. this was experimented before:

• Logitech had a keyboard with a screen (from CES 2009... they had older models without a color screen)
  • Microsoft had the same idea as Apple in prototype form, years ago:
  • Microsoft had, even before the above picture, a keyboard with a touch screen on top (in color too).

Again, idea isn't enough but also excecution. The first one is an entire user interface (which was a horrible idea in terms of developer support from start), second one was made as another seperate screen. Apple's approach seems to be complementing the screen and acting as a toolbar to whatever is on screen

It will take a long time before apps grows to fully support it, and actually provide something significant. Having a web browser tool bar on it, is silly.. you can be back action with your touchpad, or mouse, or backspace. It needs to bring something new to the table. If not... it is a gimmick.. no one will use it after playing with it after a month or so.

It's Apple, they will get developers easily onboard. For safari, they can easily add, back and forward, download progress, favorites, etc. (same features on the address bar, but easier to access as the finger just needs to stretch above the keyboard)

Anad, I really lost count of how many times I said this, diffrent applications will have diffrent shortcuts which will be extremely useful

People forget features when it isn't visible, but no one will forget when you always see a beautiful strip of dynamic screen whenver they open their laptop

I prefer physical keys most of the time but this honestly seems like a big leap forward. The possibilities only start with programmable F-keys (which in itself is amazing) and I'm excited to see what someone who is much smarter than me can think of for it.

This will definitely help with my final cut edits.

14 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Your taskbar has shortcut icons, it's not a dynamic screen.

Yes it is. Progress bar can be shown on the program tile, overlay icons can be placed, thumbnail preview can be displayed with its own content, custom thumbnail control can be added. See Windows APIs

Media keys only work when the particular software is actually open (another problem with windows),

Yes, and it will be the same for Apple. In Windows you can hit the media key to start your default media player, and then you can hit play button. Also, the button can be augmented in functionality via drivers or software. So a software can be made to make it that if so no media player software is running, the play button would launch, and play music after, and if it already running, it acts like a Play/Pause button. It is up to the manufacture to implement.

Again let me be more specific, your laptop can show alerts of updating or downloading updates (power nap feature) while it's shut off. Endless possibiliets and who knows what others will come up with

If your system is sleeping, you are most likely not using it, and not looking at it.

Umm ok, are you saying shift+ (multiple arrow presses) is more convinient than a finger slide? And again you completely forget the other uses

That is up to the software maker. Most software have configuration options. A software can make it so that... say.. Ctrl+Shift, and scroll wheel adjust the size of the brush.

Professional artists uses Wacom tablet, and they have the controls on the side of the tablet to adjust brush size and type.

Yes, but it took Apple to bring out that change. I can guarntee you there might be some random high end laptop which had the old shitty fingerprint sensor when the 5S released. Apple did some truely great work with, and if you remeber the first copy S5 had a horrible reader and it is only now that comeptitors have caught up in terms of speed and accuracy of fingerprint readers. Whatever you say, you can't deny that Apple did something here

That is not innovation. That is execution.

No it faded out very quickly. It was like the 'new thing' of a certain time, but it faded out very fast. Whatever you said later was just rambling irrelevent to the current topic of discussion

Ok.. get me the proof.

Anyone who knows what a fingerprint reader is definitely knows its uses. Consumers loved it at first only to be disappointed by how unreliable it was which again was solved by Apple in 2013

Good fingerprint scanner worked great before. I am sorry that your experienced a dollar shop finger print scanner and think that they are all like this.

SP4 has it now, not then. Why? becasue fingerprint suddenly became popular after 2013. What I did say was that fingerprint sensors will be on device next gen instead of being an extra added feature avaialable at premium just to compete with MacBooks

My point is that Apple is not first nor bringing innovation to the table. Other systems had it. And system before the iPhone had it.

In fact, the first fingerprint scanner on a phone was introduced by Motorola with the Atrix 4G.. that was in 2011, before Apple with the 2013 release of the 5S, and yes it works great on the Motorola and very fast.

For safari, they can easily add, back and forward, download progress, favorites, etc. (same features on the address bar, but easier to access as the finger just needs to stretch above the keyboard)

Ok enjoy your Safari...

Anad, I really lost count of how many times I said this, diffrent applications will have diffrent shortcuts which will be extremely useful

People forget features when it isn't visible, but no one will forget when you always see a beautiful strip of dynamic screen whenver they open their laptop

People don't forget features that isn't visible. They just don't use them, or care about using them, so they ignore it or forget it.

Typical linus tech tips comments here. Many people not trying/able to think about the possibilities. Already cries of "NO MORE FUNCTION KEYS". A few things, in OSX the function keys are mostly used for things like display brightness, launchpad, pause play, and volume control. Do you really think they are so stupid as to get rid of that? Don't you think, its more likely, that just like 60% keyboards that don't have function keys (which I use btw) that there is a key that enables them either on the number row or on the LED strip? It works really well on my HKBB.

Also, I find it pretty hilarious that people here think they know how people use macbook pros better than apple knows. "macbook pros are targeted at professionals", "macbook pros are for powerusers". This might be true, but you know who really knows who buys their products? Apple. They pay their data scientists, at the junior level, over 120k a year to figure this out. Their senior level data scientists get paid 300k a year.

I am continually astonished by the arrogance of this community when talking about apple products.

So I dont think my perspective is universal, obviously, but perhaps I'll give you guys some insight into what I use a macbook for.

I am a computational geophysicist. The problems I research cannot be solved on any single computer, I have to use a cluster, and thousands of cores over many many hours to find solutions to my equations. These clusters ( the one i use https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/stampede/)  tend to interface with my macbook via the terminal. As long as a computer can do that, I can do my job. So what do I need from the computer beyond that? Long battery life, and great build quality. The macbook is one of the best at that. It's also nice that they are relatively thin, and I can do some matlab computations on them, and some decent visualization on them. But to really get a large improvement in performance beyond the macbook pro in a laptop form, I would have to get a laptop with a desktop cpu and a gtx 1070/1080. Other than that, the minor improvemnts from slightly faster hardware doesn't really make a difference like it would with gaming: the difference between sometihng taking 15 minutes and 30 minutes doesn't matter much because i can do other things while programs are running. It's not like playing a video game where slight performance decrease/increase cna make the the difference between smooth gameplay and jittery. 

For what its worth, Apple and Linux dominates almost all basic research labs (basic in terms of the type of research, not in terms of simple). I realize this is a different world than Linus tech tips. But before you go on bashing apple, calling their decisions stupid, maybe stop and think about if there are any people who would like this?

Perspective is what saves us from looking like idiots in both life and the internet. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

50 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Why can't execution be innovative ? People were building cars, had car factories before Henry Ford figured out that the assembly line was most efficient.  Doing something well is innovative, in my opinion. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

17 minutes ago, NeoZeon said:

Why can't execution be innovative ? People were building cars, had car factories before Henry Ford figured out that the assembly line was most efficient.  Doing something well is innovative, in my opinion. 

People like to get hung up on innovation requiring a brand new product/idea. But the definition also implies a new way of doing something. What people are actually referring to is invention. 

Invention can refer to a type of musical composition, a falsehood, a discovery, or any product of the imagination. The sense of invention most likely to be confused with innovation is “a device, contrivance, or process originated after study and experiment,” usually something which has not previously been in existence.

Innovation, for its part, can refer to something new or to a change made to an existing product, idea, or field. One might say that the first telephone was an invention, the first cellular telephone either an invention or an innovation, and the first smartphone an innovation.

-Webster

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

14 hours ago, Tataffe said:

Why are you knocking it before trying it?

Oh right, because it's not Microsoft introducing it ...

Pfft... big deal if MS introduced or I should say if a PC manufacture introduced (which has already been done by Lenovo so Apple is behind there...) I would not like it. Either utilize a full Keyboard or utilize all touch, a mix of the two is inefficient. 

13 hours ago, Bsmith said:

For consumers it's good since those pesky F-butons are gone that they probably never touch.
For power users it's also nice if the strip changes properly along with the functions of the software, but on the other hand it's something else that is more easily to break.

I will sit this one out until I see it in practice or able to try it myself.

The thing is developers will have to patch in the functionality for their programs/applications to utilize it... so yeah I'll sit on this as well and reserve the right for later criticism.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, bob345 said:

<snip>

ROFLMAO..... always a good laugh... Such an epic fail of mass proportions ... classic Apple.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

14 hours ago, Tataffe said:

Why are you knocking it before trying it?

Oh right, because it's not Microsoft introducing it ...

Yup. this Forum summed up in 1 post. 

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

17 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

The thing is developers will have to patch in the functionality for their programs/applications to utilize it... so yeah I'll sit on this as well and reserve the right for latter criticism.

exactly what I said earlier on in this topic, but on the other hand like said by @RedRound2;

Again pretty sure Apple just roll out an api with it so developers can easily make use of it. Again since it's Apple, there isn't much variation across devices so everything should mostly work fine

apple knows how to support devs properly and keep their platform easy to develop for. It wouldn't surprise me that if without any coding or software overhead, the common function keys are placed there, which makes sense and leave the usage of the new touch bar an optional thing, which is more like apple, they got all their own services and stuff but they are still optional if you know your way around the software or just install something else.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

My point is that Apple is not first nor bringing innovation to the table. Other systems had it. And system before the iPhone had it.

In fact, the first fingerprint scanner on a phone was introduced by Motorola with the Atrix 4G.. that was in 2011, before Apple with the 2013 release of the 5S, and yes it works great on the Motorola and very fast.

What are you talking about? I remember there was a phone sold by DoCoMo called F902i (Fujitsu) in Japan that had a fingerprint scanner in like 2006, Motorola did NOT bring the first one to market, not even close.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

2 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

What are you talking about? I remember there was a phone sold by DoCoMo called F902i (Fujitsu) in Japan that had a fingerprint scanner in like 2006, Motorola did NOT bring the first one to market, not even close.

Ha! Very true! I stand corrected! :)

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes it is. Progress bar can be shown on the program tile, overlay icons can be placed, thumbnail preview can be displayed with its own content, custom thumbnail control can be added. See Windows APIs

At this point, you're intentionally trying to not look at the endless possibilities. Comparing windows taskbar and a completely different complementary screen is frankly just absurd.

I'm definitely sure you would have a polar opposite opinion if it's microsoft

Yes, and it will be the same for Apple. In Windows you can hit the media key to start your default media player, and then you can hit play button. Also, the button can be augmented in functionality via drivers or software. So a software can be made to make it that if so no media player software is running, the play button would launch, and play music after, and if it already running, it acts like a Play/Pause button. It is up to the manufacture to implement.

iTunes starts playing as soon as you click on play button. Don't have to do some weird as configurations to get media keys working on mac as opposed to windows

If your system is sleeping, you are most likely not using it, and not looking at it.

Hence the point. You might not be using it, but you can see any important system notification when its turned off which is much more useful than you make it seem like. You'll only understand if you use it

That is up to the software maker. Most software have configuration options. A software can make it so that... say.. Ctrl+Shift, and scroll wheel adjust the size of the brush.

Professional artists uses Wacom tablet, and they have the controls on the side of the tablet to adjust brush size and type.

Ok.. get me the proof.

Good fingerprint scanner worked great before. I am sorry that your experienced a dollar shop finger print scanner and think that they are all like this.

Ok enjoy your Safari...

People don't forget features that isn't visible. They just don't use them, or care about using them, so they ignore it or forget it.

*facepalm

I'm here talking about possible features on a general thing and you point out specific instances on very specific devices. Show me a substitute that mimics the exact functions of the LED strip

Innovation != Invention!!!!!

Anyone can design a bird costume to fly, but no one can properly make it work, except in context Apple which IS an INNOVATION, no matter how much you deny it

Ok.. get me the proof.

Check out the laptops that came out during whenever old FPs were popular and check out, hell 2016 laptops (2017 will be a different story because again Apple)

No it all sucked. Required swipe in a specific direction at a specific speed and it looked ugly and wasn't secure at all. You're no straight up denying facts then giving credit where credit is due

No, it never worked great on Motorola, that why it wasn't popular. If something is popular, it will spread. But most of the time it's Apple who brings out features thought out be dead as an extremely useful feature

Ok enjoy your Safari...

Edge isn't even close in terms of anything

No, you're wrong. People often forget features not ignore them. Let the reveiws come out, sure I'll say for one that most people will complain about developers at start but everyhting else will work amazingly well as it is always with Apple (exactly opposite to MS, who breaks everything lol)

How the mighty keep falling. Only thing the MBP's have going for them now a days is their build quality.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

12 hours ago, bob345 said:

AMD needs people from The Onion to do their marketing. Because despite knowing its satirical, the article sounds so much like Apple that its kind of believable in a sad way.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Maybe for some manufacturers their finger print scanner was unreliable, but the one on my 2013 hp envy 15 laptop I have used daily to unlock it, It gets dirty, but thats about it. 

My laptop could have predicted the future of how apple was going to design the new macbooks, it is silver/black (looks like a mac clone), has beats audio, and a fingerprint scanner.

I would really like to see a touchscreen on a macbook though.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

43 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Maybe for some manufacturers their finger print scanner was unreliable, but the one on my 2013 hp envy 15 laptop I have used daily to unlock it, It gets dirty, but thats about it. 

I would really like to see a touchscreen on a macbook though.

Was your similar to the ones we have on phones now? When I say reliable, it doesn't mean it works 90% of the time when you do it right. Apple's implementation is just touch to unlock, no swiping, no orientation, just touch and instant unlock, very different from the FPs back in the day. Also, older FPs used to be a black strip with some kind of mesh inside while the newer ones are much more subtle and look more like a pad

Why do you want touch screens on a Mac? Please state your reason

This is my reasoning down below why it doesn't really make sense, especially on Mac

Touchscreen os PCs have been useless IMO. One, there isn't any proper interface which is finger friendly (forget modern UI, its shit) and Apple would have to screw up macOS just like how MS screwed windows.
Second, People who do have touchscreen mainly use it for scrolling and zooming because trackpads in windows devices sucks, which isn't the case with MBs.
The only reason why people like Linus keep believing in touchscreens on PCs is because he is used to his touchscreen laptop for scrolling (even I find myself reaching out the screen when I use non-touch windows devices, but I never have an issue when I use a Mac because trackpad scrolling works same if not better)
People like Linus just need to get used break their 'reaching out to the screen' habit and understand that Apple trackpads aren't as shitty as Windows trackpads 

Never understood why you would want a touch screen on a laptop. If I work in for example Photoshop and I apply my fingers to the screen it would distort the colors. Touchscreens are for children who use ipads, professionals don't need/want it.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

On October 25, 2016 at 4:02 PM, Magnetorheological said:

That keyboard looks pretty flush with the casing...I sure hope they don't put those "butterfly" switches of the MacBook into the MBP.

You mean where the keys are the flat chiclet style?