Unpopular Opinion Thread

Oh round two...

4:3 is the worst aspect ratio ever made. 16:10 is the second worst... 16:9 is good, 21:9 is better. Get bigger higher resolution screens if you want more vertical space. Virtual dual monitors have been a thing for a decade.

LED's are totally acceptable on anything and everything provided it doesn't impede the functionality of the device (razer mousepad). But yes they are not selling points.

It is a bottleneck, but that doesn't make it worthless.

Making a good looking PC is a great way to get others interested in PCs and everyone should make their PC look great as a talking point.

A cheap PC is not an excuse for an ugly one.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

15 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

I really don't care what my components look like, or if a case has a window.

this

I care about performance in games.

nothing else tbh

I make bad life decisions.

3 minutes ago, lkarej said:

this

I care about performance in games.

nothing else tbh

I like seeing cool builds and custom water loops etc, don't see the point in owning one. I do like asthetics to a point, and yea when stuff stopped being just ugly beige boxes (thanks apple...) I had a system with cathode tubes and stuff, now I'm just happy with something to sit under the desk and has easy i/o to get to and fits my hotswap bay drives.

Then again, I do make nicely colour matched arrows for my bow, and they literally only just get covered in blood.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 minute ago, it_dont_work said:

I like seeing cool builds and custom water loops etc, don't see the point in owning one. I do like asthetics to a point, and yea when stuff stopped being just ugly beige boxes (thanks apple...) I had a system with cathode tubes and stuff, now I'm just happy with something to sit under the desk and has easy i/o to get to and fits my hotswap bay drives.

Then again, I do make nicely colour matched arrows for my bow, and they literally only just get covered in blood.

as long as it does it's job and the case looks decent I'm happy.

I make bad life decisions.

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Far Cry 4 is better than Far Cry 3

To be fair, it just improved the already great gameplay of FC3. Imo depends on what aspects you look at. Main character and story, I think 3 is superior, gameplay, it's 4. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

To be fair, it just improved the already great gameplay of FC3. Imo depends on what aspects you look at. Main character and story, I think 3 is superior, gameplay, it's 4. 

I liked the story much better in 4 than 3. For instance, the Shangri-La missions were incredible in FC4. I thought the setting was much better too. Not just graphically. I thought it was more interesting being in the mountains. I liked how you'd hear Pagan Min's propaganda in your car whenever you were in his territory. And I loved finding out you were the bad guy in the end, how the Golden Path murdered your younger sister, how you were either turning the country into a narco state or a fundamentalist theocracy. I think Far Cry 4 is one of the most underrated games in recent memory.

• Windows 10 Mobile is a great mobile OS and more developers should make apps for it so it'll be a viable choice for consumers.
  • There is hardly any difference in the average user's experience between Windows 7 and Windows 8.
  • Windows 10 is a great operating system.
  • OS X / macOS has some great features that I'd like to see in Windows.
  • Top-end high-performance components aren't worth the extra investment.

But probably the most controversial opinion:

• Modern low-end computers are viable for 1080p gaming. No, you won't be able to max out your settings, but even the minimum graphics settings nowadays look better than what the best-looking games of a few years back looked like. No, it doesn't look like crap. It looks fuckin' amazing, and we are too damned spoiled...

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

7 hours ago, SkyIer said:

y tho?

Because Hillary supports healthcare and education and rights for everyone. And gigabyte make some damn nice looking cheap mobos 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I'm sick of seeing parts with the word "gaming" on them, from mouse mats to USB hubs

I'm also sick of everything "gaming" being black and red.

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

9 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

- Computer screens peaked at 16:10. 16:9 is fine for movies, but I can live with black horizontal bands in that use case. For everything else, 16:10. 1080 is definitely too damn short for office, etc. 4:3 is not wide enough. Deviations from 1920x1200 are only acceptable to go higher, which may justify the cost of going 16:9. 1200 is a sacred lower bound.

Agree with this. I work with AutoCAD all day and 16:10 1920x1200 is wonderful. :) 16:9, even for gaming and everyday use, IMO, is too short. 

Just to add a few of my own points to this thread:

-Noctua are over-priced and are not the best fans on the market.

-Wireless mice are totally fine for gaming, even twitch shooters. Times have changed, technology has advanced. It's a fact. 

-I HATE wired mice.

-I prefer having the task bar at the top of the screen (makes far more sense to me).

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

10 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

- Computer screens peaked at 16:10. 16:9 is fine for movies

- There were legitimate use cases for FX CPUs given their price.

- It's not a bottleneck.

When your being burnt at the stake for your unpopular opinions I'll be burning there to.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

I run my rig open air without both side panels and think I get better cooling performance ;)

Dust for days though.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

i like brussel sprouts and gigabyte is a DOA brand (asus mobos ftw) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1. My old Creative X-Fi PCI card sounds clearly superior to the Realtek ALC892 in my motherboard no matter how many times I try to convince myself that it doesn't.
  2. Most people who post about CPU bottlenecks don't understand CPU bottlenecks, and/or overstate the effects thereof.
  3. The 2014 reboot of Thief is wildly underrated.
  4. I don't like GTA V, CS:GO, or Bethesda's open-world games.
  5. I don't care if all-in-one liquid coolers are a "good value" compared to air.
  6. Windows 10 is better than Windows 7.

I say GIF like the creator says, which is sounds like Jif. It was purposely supposed to sound like PB to get free attention. Yet every time I say it in public I get crucified over it.

Extreme/enthusiast edition CPUs. Some like to say they are the best but they are only the best if you actually need them (which 99% of users don't or can't).

3 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Extreme/enthusiast edition CPUs. Some like to say they are the best but they are only the best if you actually need them (which 99% of users don't or can't).

To be fair, even if you don't need them they still are the best. :P

Got some more:

- VR is a gimmick and won't catch on

- The Nexus 6P is sexy

- Black and red isn't overdone

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

On 9/27/2016 at 1:04 PM, ModuleLFS said:

WHY IS EVERY SINGLE MECH KB ON THIS PLANET UGLY AF.

Seriously.

May I point you to this.

Welp, I'm about to trigger more than a few people.

Trump is a decent presidential candidate.

Nvidia is not doing planned obsolescence as many people cry.

Microsoft Edge isn't a bad browser.

Team Fortress 2 is not dying, although I can't say the same for the stability of their item servers.

PCPartPicker's community is kinda going to hell.

Vivaldi is a better browser than Chrome.

Apple actually makes good products in some key areas.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Linus is a scam formed by the USSR to pervert our minds into thinking that Apple watch is bad. Accept it, its tru

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

• All you need from a mobile phone is the ability to make a phone call and text people. Anything more than that is just companies trying to charge you for things you don't need.

• Personally, I hate using touch screens if I can cover the whole screen with one palm.

• Spending more than £1000 on a computer is stupid and a waste of money.

• Buying something that looks better over something that works better is a terrible idea.

14 minutes ago, Wrb said:
  • All you need from a mobile phone is the ability to make a phone call and text people. Anything more than that is just companies trying to charge you for things you don't need.

Well having for instance access to e-mail is something that is highly convenient in a billion scenarios. Camera is also convenient as well, not just for taking photos on trips but let's say for business. Having the ability to have instant access to your bank accounts, etc. 

True, you don't need those things per se, but in this day and age (we are tech slaves) they make life a billion times easier, and one could argue most people are better with having them. 

- Windows 10 is bad, not because of the UI but because of all the dumb automated stuff that gets in the way of your day. From forced automatic updates to constant drive access I am no longer in control and for the first time since using Windows I genuinely want to go back but feel forced to stay because of DX12.

- My Soundblaster Z is worth every penny, using 5.1 speakers setup to the OS and scaling down to headphones with SBX is clearly vastly superior to any other way of doing this currently but it goes against what people think they know that I voice this rarely. It gives me an advantage to have better positioning from sound in games so its not really something I should push too hard!

- Most people don't have the first clue what to look for in a mouse and that gives me an advantage in game as well.

- Smoothness trumps pretty much everything else in games, high fps and lack of tearing are the primary image quality aspects to care about today. 4k is just not a great experience currently but everyone is jumping on it for images and such but the GPUs can't do it yet.

- VR isn't a fad, its down right amazing and compelling with room scale. But it still wont succeed because too many people believe the opposite without trying it.

- Most people who call themselves techies and geeks don't deserve to do so, they know so little about technology it is ridiculous. Geeks used to be the guys who had been programming computers from the age of 7 and had built their own radios and 8 bit adders, not the guys who had set up a router.

8 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Because Hillary supports healthcare and education and rights for everyone. And gigabyte make some damn nice looking cheap mobos 

But she doesn't stand for anything if you really look at her political career. saying you support healthcare is meaningless, its like saying you support the troops. The discussion is about how things are done and frankly obamas policies were awful in realizing what he claimed to want to do.

Example: The number of people who lost healthcare is about the same as people who gained it, but in 1 year there was a national net increase of 45% in medical insurance. Hillary's plans are worse in that regard, but with her you can pretty comfortably state she isn't actually going to do crap. Its literally doing favors for buddies and whatever most calculated action she can do to make the least number of people hate her until she's president, then UST doling out favors for 4 years.

9 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Got a love that health care man. We all make less money, (which means less jobs and less companies),but-man-at the end of the day, we all know if we get sick we will get under average heath care. I do agree Gigabyte makes pretty dope lower end boards. Usually my go to for people who don't want ugly crap, but don't want to be broke either.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation