Unpopular Opinion Thread

5 hours ago, typographie said:
  1. My old Creative X-Fi PCI card sounds clearly superior to the Realtek ALC892 in my motherboard no matter how many times I try to convince myself that it doesn't.
  2. Most people who post about CPU bottlenecks don't understand CPU bottlenecks, and/or overstate the effects thereof.
  3. The 2014 reboot of Thief is wildly underrated.
  4. I don't like GTA V, CS:GO, or Bethesda's open-world games.
  5. I don't care if all-in-one liquid coolers are a "good value" compared to air.
  6. Windows 10 is better than Windows 7.

I couldn't agree more about Windows 10 being better than 7. It is just leaps and bounds ahead of it. I really don't understand people saying that they use Windows 7, because some programs don't run on Windows 10... That might have been true during the developer preview of 10, but not anymore.

Also I hate the statement that is often made "Windows 7 just works, Windows 10 crashes all the time..." Please!!! I have had more crashes on Windows 7 than I can remember and only a few on Windows 10, most of which were my fault due to excessive Cache and RAM overclocking!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

On 9/27/2016 at 4:23 PM, meenmeen1103 said:

Noctua's color scheme choice is enough to make me steer clear of the performance benefits, the LTT edition fans are no exception

If you bought a case with a window, you bought the wrong case.

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

To be fair, even if you don't need them they still are the best. :P

Not really. a 3.5Ghz extreme edition will lose to a 6700K any day in gaming unless it can utilize all its extra cores. So "best" only really applies if it is best for that particular workload. Also nobody needs more than 20MB of cache unless you're doing heavy 3D rendering or something that can use repetitive instructions.

Don't get me wrong I'd like that new 10 core i7 they released recently but I'd still rather have less cores but have each one be more powerful then more slower cores because like many people I don't do video rendering or whatever but still lots of people who can afford these chips buy them anyways and then game on them.

I don' think the 212 evo is a good investment. I purchased my cooler new for less money to get the same performance and it looks better doing it. If you want budget there are better options, if you want performance there are better options.

AIOs are over-rated.

I don't like Noctua coolers at all simply because of their color fans.

I use all the personal assistant features in Windows 10 regardless of how "invasive" it is.

CS:GO is not a good game. It has poor gunplay and game mechanics (some).

Windows 7 is better than Windows 8 but worse than 10.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I like consoles as much as computers. 

I like Apple.

I don't like Hillary. 

I don't like most people. 

The children on this forum are irritating sometimes. 

I don't like British sit-coms. 

I eat all my vegetables and I love them very very much. 

24" 4K and 1440p+ phones baffle me

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

I'm not sure how many of these are legit opinions and how many are just trolls. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Patents are good.  

The USPTO, however, is run by morons and most of the staff fired.  

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

I get FREE healthcare :P

......chew on that!!!! :)

I will pray for you; you have my highest remorse.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

4 hours ago, TheBestUserName said:

I don't like British sit-coms. 

Now that's a really unpopular opinion. New, old ones or all of them? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Now that's a really unpopular opinion. New, old ones or all of them? 

I can't think of any I like. But there might be an exception. 

I like some sketch comedy, though... like old Benny Hill and Monty Python's Flying Circus. 

1 hour ago, TheBestUserName said:

I can't think of any I like. But there might be an exception. 

I like some sketch comedy, though... like old Benny Hill and Monty Python's Flying Circus. 

If you haven't, you should try The New Statesmen, Faulty Towers and Allo Allo. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

If you haven't, you should try The New Statesmen, Faulty Towers and Allo Allo. 

I followed Allo Allo on TV back in the day. That show was gold. I should find it somewhere and watch it again.

16 hours ago, BrightCandle said:

- Windows 10 is bad, not because of the UI but because of all the dumb automated stuff that gets in the way of your day. From forced automatic updates to constant drive access I am no longer in control and for the first time since using Windows I genuinely want to go back but feel forced to stay because of DX12.

Here is one solution I've been meaning to explore, but it's a little involving; Run Linux as your primary OS and run Windows in a VM with PCIe passthrough for gaming. Same gaming performance but you run windows in a container and only for gaming, so it cannot affect the rest of your system/primary OS. Also, there are ways to turn off most or all of that automated stuff in win 10. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I think the UWP vs Win32 argument for games is completely irrelevant, and I'm honestly tired of hearing doomsday scenarios of MS seizing control of the ecosystem and forcing you to use the Windows Store for everything. Not even Macs do that.

(Also if they were going to do that they'd already have made ALL office, visual studio, and SQL Server/IIS/etc applications UWP instead of win32, buthey)

1 hour ago, HarryNyquist said:

I think the UWP vs Win32 argument for games is completely irrelevant, and I'm honestly tired of hearing doomsday scenarios of MS seizing control of the ecosystem and forcing you to use the Windows Store for everything. Not even Macs do that.

On a related note about Macs, I'm tired of hearing on the software side on Apple's PCs, you are limited in the software you're allowed to use or something like that. Like using Mac OS is the same as iOS. It's not. Most of the software I run on my Mac Mini was not from the app store (I think almost none of it is) and I can sideload as much crap as I want. Hell I even have a thing on there so I can run basically an apt-get.

Hahem...

1) I think "gamer" marketing sucks. I own a K70 rgb and although it is an amazing piece of kit, I have backlight on gaming keys only. Also, why does it have to be black?

2) unless you are into heavy over clocking (and I mean competition level), custom pcb's are a rip off. Save your money and upgrade more often. There's a golden piece of advice.

3) I hate how high end GPU coolers feel like plastic toys. And why do motherboards need to be coloured like a circus? Seriously, I have an MSI gaming 7 because it was an amazing deal that came with an aio water cooler. I regret it. Should've bought an Asus white and black mono and be done with it.

4) I really dislike this new thing where people talk like a 960 or even 970 are not good 1080p cards.

5) I like windows 10. 

6) gaming on a laptop is fine. It always has been and always will be. Just because you can't run a game at a million fps with super ultra high end mega settings it doesn't mean its not fine (check battleblock trailer).

7) Ultra graphics are over rated big time.

8) Witcher 3 has a nice story but its not a very good game.

9) People brought no man's sky disappointment on themselves. Don't preorder games.

10) ram speed matters... All speed matters :P

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

I suppose I could finally throw down some opinions I have that are usually against the consensus.

• If your graphics hardware can't manage maximum settings, turn the quality down. It's not like there's an appreciable difference between maximum and the step below it anyway, except to your frame rate.
  • I prefer 27" 4K with 150% scaling, even though this gives me a relative area of 2560x1440.
  • Multiple monitors are better than ultrawide for productivity. Though if there's a space issue or you have some window management software to break the screen area into thirds instead of halves, I might consider the other way around.
  • I thought the GTX 970 was a great card and people still don't understand what the issue was or why that decision was made.
  • Vista was a good OS and I preferred Windows 8/8.1 to 7.
  • 144Hz is hyped up to no end.
  • Nobody needs to have a case size of Mid ATX or higher unless they're really filling up those expansion ports.
  • Most computer issues are at the fault of the user or their setup.
  • People often get more RAM than they actually need. Remember, unused RAM is wasted RAM!
  • NVMe SSDs are a waste of money for most people.

.I liked Windows 8.1 more then 7 out of the box.

.I think Apple has nailed the design of the new Macbooks.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

15 hours ago, Miguel Batista said:

Hahem...

1) I think "gamer" marketing sucks. I own a K70 rgb and although it is an amazing piece of kit, I have backlight on gaming keys only. Also, why does it have to be black?

2) unless you are into heavy over clocking (and I mean competition level), custom pcb's are a rip off. Save your money and upgrade more often. There's a golden piece of advice.

3) I hate how high end GPU coolers feel like plastic toys. And why do motherboards need to be coloured like a circus? Seriously, I have an MSI gaming 7 because it was an amazing deal that came with an aio water cooler. I regret it. Should've bought an Asus white and black mono and be done with it.

4) I really dislike this new thing where people talk like a 960 or even 970 are not good 1080p cards.

5) I like windows 10. 

6) gaming on a laptop is fine. It always has been and always will be. Just because you can't run a game at a million fps with super ultra high end mega settings it doesn't mean its not fine (check battleblock trailer).

7) Ultra graphics are over rated big time.

8) Witcher 3 has a nice story but its not a very good game.

9) People brought no man's sky disappointment on themselves. Don't preorder games.

10) ram speed matters... All speed matters :P

Everything this guy said

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5