Unpopular Opinion Thread

23 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

I think fast RAM actually does make a difference at high frame rates.

That's not an opinion though, that's a fact. :D

4 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

MSI is a disgusting brand IMO

Can't stand that big dragon all over stuff.  I was just in an argument with my friend who has the MSI Sea Hawk EK version.  That dragon makes the block look like a toy or something.

466261_080283_03_front_zoom.jpg

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I like OSX features more than Windows. I like their movie editing software and other built in apps more. I prefer Finder to the annoying Windows file system. Idk, something about OSX's simple, quick and imo more organized layout is just so much nicer to me. OSX automatically unzips any file for you. Not sure why Windows makes that a process that requires 3rd part programs. 

14 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:
  • Norton Security is an excellent AV.

I literally cringed due to my horrible, and I mean horrible experience with it. :P

I think RGB is the most overrated thing out there, by far.

I think Win 8.1 is better than 10.

I don't think gaming on laptops is bad at all and is highly convenient. 

I think tablets are overrated as well. 

I think there should be a world day every week when people would be forbidden from using the internet, and possibly tech as well. We are too addicted to tech. 

I think piracy has a purpose, sort of.

I think some Apple stuff is actually worth the money.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That's not an opinion though, that's a fact. :D

Don't let Linus hear you!  

My other unpopular opinion:  Linus' video on whether RAM speed matters is junk.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

11 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Probably something along the lines of 'Because we're Noctua, we're special and deserve to be different'

I always assumed the plastic parts were already that color and painting them would effect the sound or performance somehow.  Otherwise I don't see how they could make a business decision as bad as not offering their product in desirable colors.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I really liked windows 8, I even made a skin and tweaked Windows metro to use it as my background.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I literally cringed due to my horrible, and I mean horrible experience with it. :P

Very highly rated AV, very light on resources too. What issues did you have?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I always assumed the plastic parts were already that color and painting them would effect the sound or performance somehow.  Otherwise I don't see how they could make a business decision as bad as not offering their product in desirable colors.

The colors are mainly tradition at this point, paying homage to some good performing fans they designed a long time ago. I kinda get that, and I know having several sku's and altering the manufacturing process to allow several colors slightly complicates things, but it's sad that there isn't an option that costs just a few cents to a dollar or two more for a good performing product and being stuck with shoving barf into a case because of that tradition

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

6 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Very highly rated AV, very light on resources too. What issues did you have?

Mind you I used it long time ago, in the time of single core processors. It was literally hogging resources back in the day, and most notably, and most interesting, it said my CD had a virus, a brand new and empty CD, I had opened half a minute before putting it in my CD-ROM. I'll never forget that, I still laugh at that. That are only few examples of what it had done and I can't even remember all of them so much later. The only worse thing then was Bitdefender in my experience. 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

Mind you I used it long time ago, in the time of single core processors. It was literally hogging resources back in the day, and most notably, and most interesting, it said my CD had a virus, a brand new and empty CD, I had opened half a minute before putting it in my CD-ROM. I'll never forget that, I still laugh at that. That are only few examples of what it had done and I can't even remember all of them so much later. The only worse thing then was Bitdefender in my experience. 

Oh wow, yeah that was a long time ago. Don't worry, it's changed a lot since then :P Right now it's using 16MB of my 16GB of RAM and less than 0.1% of CPU time.

I tried to switch to Bitdefender Total Security about a year ago, big mistake. That thing was sucking up 400MB of RAM -_-

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Oh wow, yeah that was a long time ago. Don't worry, it's changed a lot since then :P Right now it's using 16MB of my 16GB of RAM and less than 0.1% of CPU time.

I tried to switch to Bitdefender Total Security about a year ago, big mistake. That thing was sucking up 400MB of RAM -_-

I think I'll live with 50-ish MB of usage from Nod32. xD

iOS > android kappa 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

44 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Can't stand that big dragon all over stuff.  I was just in an argument with my friend who has the MSI Sea Hawk EK version.  That dragon makes the block look like a toy or something.

466261_080283_03_front_zoom.jpg

It's overpriced and very obviously designed for the "gamer" target audience

I prefer iOS to Android.

I prefer MacOS to Windows.

Windows 8.1 is my favorite version of Windows.

(It's at least popular with my friends) I find teamspeak useless, we are already on Skype or the phone, let's just use that.

I think 8GB of RAM is just fine for modern day use if all you are doing is web browsing in Chrome and gaming.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I've always wondered about that, there has to be a reason why they don't offer a color selection.

Maybe because you Watercool pc you want to brag with?

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Maybe because you Watercool pc you want to brag with?

Yes, the reason Noctua doesn't offer a color selection is because I Watercool pc I want to brag with.

I think Noctua fans look decent.

To be fair the color scheme grew on me.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

27 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I think Noctua fans look decent.

To be fair the color scheme grew on me.

I honestly agree only ever got two of their fans for a friends build he considered them ugly but said whatever works is fine so they kind grew on him and still after nearly 7 years thye work in his new rig 

One more thing Norton was a great AV while i was using it

As for my own opinion it would be Asus is a terrible mobo makar 

I like Noctuas color scheme, it's recognizable and it has some nostalgic taste in it. I acctually wish Noctua would make a case with their color scheme just to piss off every single reviewer who don't like the old yellowish plastic color.

Also I think people who think the mechanical keyboards are the pinnacle of technology, are just like Apple-fans. The time when you acctually needed to press more keys than 10 is far over (no more split screen multiplayer with only keyboard) and that parts of milliseconds latency difference sounds just as stupid as some audiophiles fighting over 1000$ HDMI-cables over 10$ ones for better "image quality".

I prefer AMD CPUs over Intels because AMD has kept same socket for few years and over couple architectures. I think that's way more customer friendly than Intels "new architecture - new socket" approach which forces customers to buy a new mobo every time they want to upgrade the CPU to a newer architecture. Also I think it's great idea that sockets have backward compatibility, because if your brand new CPU is DOA and you cannot get replacement right away, you can always buy cheap older CPU and use that.

Nvidia based gaming laptops suck. They're loud and don't have a lot of performance. I have an 840M equipped notebook and I need to play AC3 at 1280x720 at Very low to get more than 25 FPS. Rocket League plays at everything at low at 1080p. Even with these settings, the cooling fan ramps up to max. Not just on my particular model, a few classmates with other notebooks have the same problem.

I've never heard these complaints on AMD APU based notebooks. So I'm opting for one of those next time I need a new notebook for light gaming on the go.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

Also, I think Windows 10 Mobile beats every other mobile platform despite the app gap. xD

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I've always wondered about that, there has to be a reason why they don't offer a color selection.

Think its purely branding and be different then others.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list