Apple Surveying MacBook Pro Users About Headphone Jack and Other Ports

TheReal1980

In recent weeks, Apple has been sending out surveys to users asking about MacBook Profeatures, most notably the headphone jack. A survey question shared by MacRumors readerBlake asks "Do you ever use the headphone port on your MacBook Pro with Retina display?"

There are several other reports on Twitter from users who have been asked similar questions about the headphone jack, suggesting Apple is exploring the removal of the headphone jack in a future version of the MacBook Pro. Apple has eliminated the headphone jack from the iPhone, so it makes sense that the trend will continue for other products.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/14/apple-macbook-pro-survey/

Do you think Apple are scared? Removing the headphone jack and not have a Lightning jack would complicate things ^_^.

Personally, if they remove the 3.5mm and use a Lightning jack I won´t mind as long as there is a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

More importantly... how can you answer "not sure" to that question haha

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Don't you dare, Apple. It's fucking called Macbook PRO for a reason. They actually use those ports and are power users, compared to everyone else.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

8 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

Do you think Apple are scared? Removing the headphone jack and not have a Lightning jack would complicate things ^_^.

Personally, if they remove the 3.5mm and use a Lightning jack I won´t mind as long as there is a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Apple is not scared, and this is why they get away with it. Why the hell should we use an adapter when we can have the actual 3.5mm jack instead?

Actually, they should make it have no ports whatsoever. Who needs cables these days? Pff. Everything can be wireless, and if it isn't, then it's only because manufacturers are lazy and nobody has the courage to ditch them. Wireless is the way to go! Heck, they might as well make it so the laptop charges wirelessly.

/sarcasm

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Too bad the survey will most likely be answer by idiots and MacBook Pro will only have 1 usb type C, just like the MacBook.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On my phone I never used the 3.5mm jack so losing it didn't effect me but on my laptops and tablet I predominantly use the 3.5mm jack and on my desktop I only use the 3.5mm jack so removing it there makes no sense (for me) when removing it on the iphone was already questionable.

I have a MBPr and I like using it but I wouldn't upgrade to one without a 3.5mm port right now and for the foreseeable future so if they did remove it I would get a windows based machine, or maybe linux.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

They came out and announced a phone with the lack of the headphone jack with them saying that they had the courage to do this. If you're putting surveys for the same decision for the Macbook Pro, then your courage ain't good enough to warrant the removal of the jack...

the machine will not include an SD card slot, HDMI port, USB-A port, or a MagSafe connection.

Really not liking those rumors. I personally don't use the SD card reader but I'm not a photographer so...

The HDMI port is really handy as I always have a spare HDMI cord and TV's still don't support DP which is the other cable I have for my Mac.

A mix of USB-A and C seems like it would be much better as most computers don't have type-C connectors yet meaning you would need an adapter or a Type-A and C USB drive if you use it for school and such.

MagSafe is awesome as it's basically impossible to break. Really don't want to see that go. The only thing that ever broke on my windows laptop was the charger due to being bumped when plugged in and stressing the hell out of the port.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

whelp rest in pepperonis one of the best laptop lines ever made. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

Actually, they should make it have no ports whatsoever. Who needs cables these days? Pff. Everything can be wireless, and if it isn't, then it's only because manufacturers are lazy and nobody has the courage to ditch them. Wireless is the way to go! Heck, they might as well make it so the laptop charges wirelessly.

/sarcasm

They sort of did.

They called it the MacBook Retina.

i think you are misreading this. they are not scared they want to make the macbooks thin and remove the headphone jack also. looks at survey results* hey only 96% of our customers use the headphone jack this means we can remove it

Wow apple really wants to see if they can turn their MacBook into a weapon by making it so thin, the edge will be sharper than a scalpel blade.  NOW YOUR MACBOOK CAN BE USED AS A SELF DEFENSE TOOL!

5 minutes ago, Crazy Ginger said:

Wow apple really wants to see if they can turn their MacBook into a weapon by making it so thin, the edge will be sharper than a scalpel blade.  NOW YOUR MACBOOK CAN BE USED AS A SELF DEFENSE TOOL!

I just had the through that if apple made a gun it would be like the Steyr M1912

styer1912_loading_with_stripper_clip.jpg

I want one so bad

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Anyone who thinks that the headphone jack being removed off the iPhone or the Macbook for the user's benefit or to advance technology is kidding themselves.

Its all about money. Apple is a publicly traded company and shareholders demand that profits constantly rise. When the sales of the 6S and the 6 are falling like a cliff because new phones provide little incentive to upgrade, then Apple needs to look for a new revenue source, which is licensing fees through accessories.

Every adapter, splitter, or dock with Lightning has to pay Apple licensing fees. Apple didn't make a cent when people bought 3.5mm audio jack equipped headphones, but they do when people buy Lightning headphones or card readers. Apple also gets a cut when people buy Beats or have to go buy new cheap earbuds that sell like wildfire when they break their current ones. Even with Bluetooth, Apple wins. They will sell those $160 Airpods which are most likely going to have cheap build quality that will make it easier for them to break. Even if one earbud gets lost, damaged, or stolen, you're looking at dropping another $160.

The same lunacy happened on the Macbook. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would know why just having one USB C port is dumb. If you need to charge and use a mouse at the same time? Well, Apple sells you this $80 splitter for that function. If you damage that USB C port and literally have no way to charge it again? Oops, I guess you should have bought AppleCare.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

55 minutes ago, NuclearPeace said:

Anyone who thinks that the headphone jack being removed off the iPhone or the Macbook for the user's benefit or to advance technology is kidding themselves.

Its all about money. Apple is a publicly traded company and shareholders demand that profits constantly rise. When the sales of the 6S and the 6 are falling like a cliff because new phones provide little incentive to upgrade, then Apple needs to look for a new revenue source, which is licensing fees through accessories.

Every adapter, splitter, or dock with Lightning has to pay Apple licensing fees. Apple didn't make a cent when people bought 3.5mm audio jack equipped headphones, but they do when people buy Lightning headphones or card readers. Apple also gets a cut when people buy Beats or have to go buy new cheap earbuds that sell like wildfire when they break their current ones. Even with Bluetooth, Apple wins. They will sell those $160 Airpods which are most likely going to have cheap build quality that will make it easier for them to break. Even if one earbud gets lost, damaged, or stolen, you're looking at dropping another $160.

The same lunacy happened on the Macbook. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would know why just having one USB C port is dumb. If you need to charge and use a mouse at the same time? Well, Apple sells you this $80 splitter for that function. If you damage that USB C port and literally have no way to charge it again? Oops, I guess you should have bought AppleCare.

*Looks around nervously*

The new Apple is stunning and brave. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 hours ago, NuclearPeace said:

Exactly! There is no logical reason to get rid of the headphone jack. It is a stupid decision that I hope will backlash majorly against the company.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

New slogan for apple :

'' Apple , We are full of adapters ''

Apples just taking thie piss imo.

They are taking every port out of the device and making it in an adapter. Really its a perfect buisness plan from apple to charge or rip off your customers if you want to use some sort of port.

eg, apple be like :  '' We have removed the USB ports in the new mac pro's , insdead , we have replaced them with lighting ports, We did this becaue we are THE FIST COMPANY IN THE GO DAMMN WORLD TO DO IT AND WE ARE BOLD ,  dont worry , we will inclued an adaper for you to use a USB device. ''

That was apple in a nutshell.

(⌐■_■) 

3 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Exactly! There is no logical reason to get rid of the headphone jack. It is a stupid decision that I hope will backlash majorly against the company.

yeah .....no

https://www.ft.com/content/dc40349c-8d2b-345c-b9c3-20dfe41a9992

pre orders are up people dont care about the 3.5 mm on there phones

taking it off a phone is one thing but on the pro......im not so sure adaptor or not

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

5 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

*Looks around nervously*

The new Apple is stunning and brave. 

O brave new world, with such people in it! 

- snip-

11 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

i think you are misreading this. they are not scared they want to make the macbooks thin and remove the headphone jack also. looks at survey results* hey only 96% of our customers use the headphone jack this means we can remove it

Isn't the iPhone 7 still thick enough to have one anyway?