'The Desktop is (pretty much) dead'

tomekh

it would be dead if sales were forecasted to decrease, its staying steady. There will always, always be a market for desktops lol 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Currently posting this using a desktop.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Looking at only sales is not enough , as desktops are getting faster and faster there is a decreasing demand of upgrading , for most office tasks a 300euro pc with windows XP is sufficient.

Interested in Business and Technology

The desktop won't go away any time soon, it will most likely just "evolve" into a power center tucked away somewhere,  for things around your home which then draw on the power of that one machine to do w/e.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

really????

Freelance Designer

i7 3770K-MSI z77A- GD65 - 16Gb team elite - MSI GTX 670 OC PE - Enermax 850 W - Corsair H60 - VenomRX HABU v3 NTX - 

Canon 7D - 18 200 mm - 50 mm f1.8

Since when is this news? People have been getting this wrong for almost a decade... plus, its not even a news article....  <_<

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Any tablet or phone is just too slow for me, and that's all. The desktop will always be a step ahead on anythibg else. It will die when quantum computing becomes available but that's happening in a cuple decades. Even then, an AC powered device will have 2-3 times more clock frequency EXACTLY as of today.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Desktops in general may be decreasing, but people like us are causing the increase in enthusiast grade PC (parts) sales. So PC gaming is on the rise basically.

GO us!

"Sure, you still see them around the office, but make no mistake: Desktop computers are the equivalent of dinosaurs in the days after Earth was struck by a large meteor. They were still there, but they were the walking dead, doomed to eventually vanish."

Scuse my brashness, but what do you think things are designed on, you jackass? Certainty not on a tablet.

Personally I will never make mobile anything my main device. they just do not have enough power that quenches my thirst, only desktops can be made to have enough power to take on anything you throw at it, untell mobile ends up the same way,(which will be a long time from now) considering that on the mobile side right now and for years to come, they will continue to worry more about lower power consumption more then raw power.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Yes of cource pc shipments are going down. Because everyone builds his pc these days. If they counted desktop PARTS sales, then we all know the numbers would quite easily surpass the tablet and laptop sales...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Pc gaming is getting bigger and bigger, more young people are getting into pc's, its sold itself very well because of great tech channels and great comparison videos. Young kids are watching and thinking man i want the best too, i wanna have a better machine than my friends ps3/4. Then they in turn want one aswell. Gpu cycles have never stopped, cpu cycles have never stopped etc. why would they? People will always want custom systems and expandability. Its cool! Intel have talked about integrated cpu with mobos but i just cant see that being the end, because they are still desktops, the gpu market will expand upon that i think to offer the consumer a chance to customize

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

I don't know what's worse, the fact that these guys don't know how to interpret statistics or that they don't have a basic grasp of the industry they report on. :rolleyes:

There are multitudes of reasons for these statistics to be the way they are. To come to the conclusion that the demise of the desktop PC is the cause is, in my mind, akin to concluding that optic or DSL broadband connections are doomed because over 50% of all internet connections are mobile. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Great point

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

The traditional desktop for reading your email & browsing the internet is pretty much dead, for power users & gamers the desktop remains the holy grail.

This. Practically 90% of the stuff I do on my PC I could do on a tablet just as easily. Watching YouTube, checking Facebook, reading emails all I can do on an iPad with no difficulty. However, if I need to type a long document, use Excel (not basic use) for work, or play Warcraft 3 with friends, those applications are not to intense for a tablet, they just don't work well for it. That is not even mentioning playing Battlefield or other demanding games. Sent from mobile because it isn't a bad medium to do so.

For most home users yes. I'd happily recommend a 15" laptop for their needs (email, browsing and office) but desktops won't die just yet. Workstations are still being used at my dads work because nothing else can handle complex 3D CAD

The desktop will not die until laptops and tablets are capable of being equally as powerful and equally as cool (temperature) as the desktop. It will happen eventually, I'm sure, but it's definitely not right around the corner. Some people fail to realize that there are computer users out there that need more power than what a laptop or a tablet can offer.

But I will agree with what many have said already: for the typical home user there is little point in getting a desktop. But really, where are the breaking news in that??

They aren't looking at gaming PCs nor individual hardware component sales...it's fucking hilarious really, then you have the ignorant console peasants bringing this shit up.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I would never get rid of my desktop for a laptop or tablet

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

Recently one of Microsofts/XBOX's VPs said that keyboard and mouse is still the best input for gaming. Now i hear that the xbone is supposed to be natively compatible with keyboard & mouse.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan