'The Desktop is (pretty much) dead'

tomekh

the thing that annoys me about this topic are all the guys who think that win8 has something to do with overall PC sales.  I mean come on, really?  how can anyone make the assumption that windows 8 has anything to do with it? The only effect win 8 has had (if any at all) is that a very (and I mean VERY) small percentage of people have either not upgraded or switched to IOS.

I actually have to disagree, Windows 8 forced a lot of changes on people, it wasn't a slow change either, it was a confusing and often jarring experience that turned a lot of people off. Microsoft ignored the consumer when they implemented these changes and they didn't offer a viable 'in between' experience to bridge the gap.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

The more I see those stories the more it drive home that they want to see Desktops die off because if you were to use a Tablet/POS device your data ends up, well up in the cloud were it can be monetized easier as it will be up there for them to dig through at their convenience. Whereas on a desktop if you turn it off or have the right firewalls they can't get to it and have to keep devising hacks, malware, spyware and what not to get to it.

Nice try data slurpers, mine stays with me. Try and come and get it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I actually have to disagree, Windows 8 forced a lot of changes on people, it wasn't a slow change either, it was a confusing and often jarring experience that turned a lot of people off. Microsoft ignored the consumer when they implemented these changes and they didn't offer a viable 'in between' experience to bridge the gap.

But majority of consumers would not have know about those changes until after they had bought a new pc, or they would have gone for a pc that came with win7 or even switched to mac.  I can't see how the majority of potential pc shoppers looked into win8 and then decided not to buy a new computer at all. Add to that if it was the case that win8 was responsible, then we should have seen a similar drop in sales after 98 (non SE), ME and Vista.

Remember also that we enthusiasts (more particular and demanding of our OS's)  are only a very small percentage of pc buyers, most of our purchases don't even register as a pc sale because we buy components. 

These statistics point to a much larger causality, possibly like obsolescence taking much longer to reach pushing upgrade cycles out significantly further, tie in the GFC from 2008 and what company would unnecessarily spend money upgrading its work stations if there is the possibility they have to reduce their workforce to keep in the black? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Desktop FTW YEAH

like if you agree

Manners Maketh Man

I still use my computer for email and web browsing more than I do on my smartphone so I don't think its dead because the computer has the best performance in applications/games.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I think the biggest issue is a LOT of people only recently upgraded to windows 7 and still have a few years before another major upgrade.  I've only just built a new computer to replace my moms sempron 3000+ from  2004, two thousand fricken 4.  That's almost 10 years per upgrade cycle.  And she's not the only one.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The only reason that PC sales are declining is because everyone already has a fast enough PC to last them for a couple years. PC's are already faster than what the general consumer needs. Only PC gamers are left to upgrade their PC every year

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I think the biggest issue is a LOT of people only recently upgraded to windows 7 and still have a few years before another major upgrade.  I've only just built a new computer to replace my moms sempron 3000+ from  2004, two thousand fricken 4.  That's almost 10 years per upgrade cycle.  And she's not the only one.

Nothing wrong with that! Means its a worthy investment.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I dont think phones and tablets are going to be  seen in offices instead of computers , just look at that fox show ... what a joke

Its all about those volumetric clouds

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

haaa........

hahahahahahaHHA!AAAHAHAHA!!!

Okay I am done laughing.

*Ahum*

No.

The big box with the lights on it will disappear within a decade.

Yep it will be a smaller box with lights on it instead with companies wanting to lower power usage the itx form factor will be growing

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

My desktop has been a Zombie for the past 10 years it seems.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Desktop FTW YEAH

like if you agree

And on that day...No likes were given...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

And on that day...No likes were given...

whyyyyy

forever_alone_by_foreveraloneplz.png

Manners Maketh Man

there will always be the hardcore gamer or video editor or the 3D animator who will need a desktop

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

You HAD to use a Desktop/Laptop to do stuff in the past...rewind 10 years.

"Good Enough for the task" Tablets didnt exist,.

Fancy Phones were not capable of doing tasks quickly or productive that any desktop could do...

Of course when phones and tablets nowadays let you do some general processing of your work with ease of a few fingertips, you feel less need for a desktop.

Be it simple google searching on the internet/playing HD video, higher speed & higher quality (now on a phone/tablet)

Making the little things easier taking momentum away from using a PC

The desktop is not dead, just people use lighter portable devices for a lot of the tasks that they would have used a desktop for.

Most people use the path of least resistance.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Sorry, no.  Desktop is not dead.

FX 8320@4.1Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, MSI 7870@1050Mhz, 8 GB 1600 MHz, M5A97 LE R2.0, NZXT H440, CX500M

Your rights matter because you never know when you are going to need them.

-Edward Snowden

The funniest thing about that chart is that desktops and portable stayed the same. It's because you don't need to replace them as much. If you have a phone now you will probably buy a phone next year or the year after. Same with a tablet. If you buy a good computer (desktop/laptop) you really don't have to buy a new one next year. Where I work we upgrade on a 5 year cycle (because we get 5 year warranties).

But to people making forecasts a plateau is as bad as decline so that is what they call it.

I personally think that the desktop will never be dead. At most the change would be in terms of how we interact with it, but the principle stands :3

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4