'The Desktop is (pretty much) dead'

tomekh

They aren't looking at gaming PCs nor individual hardware component sales...it's fucking hilarious really, then you have the ignorant console peasants bringing this shit up.

Exactly and those sales went up by a margin.

PC gaming is growing extremly fast and the most PC gamers buy there hardware in parts.

They should rather look at the sales of NVIDA and AMD GPU's.

RTX2070OC 

Exactly and those sales went up by a margin.

PC gaming is growing extremly fast and the most PC gamers buy there hardware in parts.

They should rather look at the sales of NVIDA and AMD GPU's.

Just another shitty attempt at trying to impress the minds of the ignorant masses. "PCs ARE DYING! TABLETS AND CONSOLES ARE WHAT'S UP!"

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Well according to that article, 141 million of something equates to it being dead...

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

Well according to that article, 141 million of something equates to it being dead...

Thats still more then the Ps3 and Xbox360 combined xD

RTX2070OC 

So pretty much everyone uses phones and tablets for simple queries now, instead of using slower aged not up to date desktops without ssd's making life so much slower...

People use the path of least resistance and form opinions and stick with it.

Desktops as stated, are not used too much for the typical google/youtube/facebook/text or web based query in comparison to phones and tablets.

Any task that requires real performance, that isnt coming from a server to the client, for most consumers, is suited for a desktop.

Gamers wise....Can I fit an R290x or a Titan/780 inside these smaller devices enabling 2-4K Bling,

Desktops having more cores CPU or GPU to do a range of tasks faster, adaptation to the extreme.

Well.....so much for dead desktops.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The desktop as we know it today will carry on pretty much forever. As long as there is a demand for powerful systems than there is no other alternative out there. End of discussion. The desktop will without question out-live any other device.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Traditional desktops and traditional consoles, will be dead in sense, I suppose, in around 8-10 years. At least in my opinion, we will just have a single hardware source for media or entertainment in our home, along with multiple displays, that all receive their media from a streaming source.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The desktop as we know it today will carry on pretty much forever. As long as there is a demand for powerful systems than there is no other alternative out there. End of discussion. The desktop will without question out-live any other device.

I think that's sort of a silly thing to say, 'as we know it' will change very quickly  ;)

but I think you're right in a sense of what you're saying, but only that, in some form or another it will. because a desktop is simply a source to operate from.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what's worse, the fact that these guys don't know how to interpret statistics or that they don't have a basic grasp of the industry they report on. :rolleyes:

There are multitudes of reasons for these statistics to be the way they are. To come to the conclusion that the demise of the desktop PC is the cause is, in my mind, akin to concluding that optic or DSL broadband connections are doomed because over 50% of all internet connections are mobile. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Perfect way of putting it.

On a side note, the first comment on the article by adrian, was also well put

I have a hard time seeing anything currently out there replacing the desktop for professional applications. I can see laptops as we know them today going away before desktops do.

Let's play a bit of devil's advocate here.

I think the "death of the desktop" should be reworded as the "death of the desktop in the mainstream world". While power users, enthusiast and old school people may always migrate to the desktop until they find an alternative as powerful (not happening for a long time), the truth is that with new laptops being cheaper than ever, tablets and mobile phone, the needs of many in the mainstream is taken cared off by these devices.

Whether it is for productivity (word, excel etc) or the consumption of media, a cheap laptop + a mobile device (tablet) are all many people only needs. With an increase in power and what you can actually do with those devices, some people will gravitate towards them since they also bring along some nice benefits that appeals to that population. Let's take the case of laptops for example, you can move around with it, have a great amount of power and flexibility but yet keep the comfort and versatility of a Desktop.

So if we look at it this way, we may see a shift from everyday people to move away from the desktop as it is today. But the death of the desktop is very premature if you take it in a global sense. What should be said is that the desktop will become more of a niche market, it will move out of the mainstream being replaced by laptops and tablets.

NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | Asus Z87-A (don't ask why I have a Z mobo with a non k cpu, have my reasons)| Intel Core i7 4770 | XGIMATEK Dark Knight II| 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 120GB SKHynix | 2tb WD Green | Gigabyte GTX 770 OC | OCZ 750W ZT | Logitech DiNovo Edge | Logitech G602

Mainstream wise, yeah the desktop is dead.

But from a business, power-user, gaming and niche perspective, the desktop will always live on.

There is no other alternative in those regards, period.

I read the first sentence and closed the tab. Anyone who says the desktop PC is a thing of the past is a freaking moron. There will always be a need for more power and yes people like to game on their PCs. Why would you own a desktop PC if you don't do work on it or game. So yes the desktop could be considered dead if you only use it for watching movies and listening to music because a laptop can do all that and more but when power is required like gaming or even some work loads the desktop is the only available option. Again anyone who says the desktop is dead is wrong because there are still plenty of people using desktops and there is plenty of reasons why you should still have a desktop.

Please someone smash the guy who wrote that article in the face and fire him because he clearly doesn't use a desktop and knows nothing about tech.

I think that's sort of a silly thing to say, 'as we know it' will change very quickly  ;)

but I think you're right in a sense of what you're saying, but only that, in some form or another it will. because a desktop is simply a source to operate from.

When I say this form is going to say I mean the ability to change hardware easily and compatibility of the hardware with each other will stay as it is. In other words the form factor will stay the same as it is today.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I'm currently typing this on a computer in my school, which has approximately 100+ desktop PC's in use. Then I'm going to go to work in a bit and there's about 25+ dekstop PC's there as well, then I'm going to go home and see the 5 or so dekstops at my own house that are in use.

Yeah, the desktop is soooo dead. I wonder how companies and schools will get stuff done?! Oh, iPads of course!

Sales of everything can't continually increase especially since there's barely tangible benefits from 7 years ago to now what?

Make everyone want a HTPC, desktop sales will never die

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just saying this...

My friend just last month built a desktop.

Soon after his dad built a computer.

Quite soon after that my dad built a computer.

Just to add to this, my dad's office just recently decided to stop buying laptops for employes and just switch to desktops. (That is about 200 Dells right there.)

For the average consumer the desktop may be dead, BUT people who need the power, businesses, and enthusiasts are going to need desktops for a long time.

"No signature"

When I say this form is going to say I mean the ability to change hardware easily and compatibility of the hardware with each other will stay as it is. In other words the form factor will stay the same as it is today.

That's two different things, the form factor isn't the hardware changing or modifying capabilities, form factor is size and shape and space that it takes up. I think we will always have upgradeable or interchangeable parts in a hardware system, that won't ever change. As for form factor, I think we will have large single operating functional home systems, that operate many devices all around the house, while providing wifi/4g/battery/streaming all at once, then it'll eventually size down. in a long time.

nahh man, it aint true.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

That's two different things, the form factor isn't the hardware changing or modifying capabilities, form factor is size and shape and space that it takes up. I think we will always have upgradeable or interchangeable parts in a hardware system, that won't ever change. As for form factor, I think we will have large single operating functional home systems, that operate many devices all around the house, while providing wifi/4g/battery/streaming all at once, then it'll eventually size down. in a long time.

To make it so that desktops are the most powerful machines you can build they need to be big. The reason why the form factor of a desktop is big is because of the cooling requirements and hardware size. So yes it does make a difference. But yea I do agree with you that we will have a single machine that powers everything. Although if you wanted more power then you would still stick with a single machine.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

My Uncles thinks the same. He is a KLA Eng. Maybe he read something like this. Their are things supporting this (ex. w8, broadwell)

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

A 'sit down' type device that people use to get work done on isn't going to die anytime soon. The form factor will change but the principle will remain unchanged.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

We need a troll/BS filter on the News section. Also about this topic ignorance is all I have to say about it.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

the thing that annoys me about this topic are all the guys who think that win8 has something to do with overall PC sales.  I mean come on, really?  how can anyone make the assumption that windows 8 has anything to do with it? The only effect win 8 has had (if any at all) is that a very (and I mean VERY) small percentage of people have either not upgraded or switched to IOS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.