[Updated] Sony officially confirms 4K ready Playstation - "PS4 Neo"

Sony has confirmed the existence of PlayStation 4 Neo, an upgraded version of the current PlayStation 4 hardware. Earlier last month we had a peak of what Sony is going to do with it's next Playstation. And found some of the specs like the one below:

Original PS4
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz
GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz (equivalent to Radeon HD 7850)
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s

NEO
CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz (possibly built on Polaris10 Ellesmere?)
Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

Now the Sony Interactive Entertainment President Andrew House confirmed that the Playstation 4 Neo is indeed real. Both the Playstation 4 and 4 Neo will support the Sony VR headset. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Sony officially confirms the PlayStation 4K, saying it's targeting 'hardcore gamers' and will have full backward and forward compatibility

E3 2016 - Sony has officially confirmed the PlayStation 4K (PS4 Neo, PS4.5) is in fact real, but it won't be shown at E3 2016.

Sony Interactive Entertainment President Andrew House confirmed the PlayStation 4K in a recent interview with Financial Times, saying the console is targeted at "hardcore gamers", and asserting the "PS4 Neo" will indeed support 4K resolution. The "high-end" PlayStation 4K will be more expensive then the $350 PS4.

House also confirmed the PS4K won't replace existing PS4s, instead complimenting the systems in a new ecosystem. "It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4. We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle," he said. House went on to announce that the PlayStation 4K will be fully backward compatible with all existing PS4 games, confirming past reports. "All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4," he said. 

As for an official reveal, the PS4K won't be shown off at E3 because Sony doesn't yet have enough content for the console. "We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety," he said. We'll likely see an official announcement at Gamescom in the Fall.

The 4K-ready PS4 Neo won't have its own games library. The PS4K will play all existing PS4 games and unlock exclusive 4K upscaled resolution across certain games. The way it works is that every future PS4 game will need to have two modes: a "Neo Mode" and a "Standard Mode". Normal PS4's will play games in Standard Mode, and the PS4K will use its upgraded hardware to access Neo Mode for improved 4K visuals. PS4Ks can access Standard Mode, and the Neo Mode is optional. 

The PS4K's new two format structure puts a burden on developers, as they will now have to essentially make two different versions of their games (a Neo Mode and Standard Mode). Some devs are even calling it a "gigantic pain in the ass."

The Sony president also affirms that developers won't have a hard time optimizing their games with Neo Mode functionality, and that the work will be "small, but manageable".

Source: TweakTown, Financial Times, Video Gamer, TheVerge.

Cut to the Chase

1. When it'll be available? - Don't know.
  2. Name of the device - PS4 Neo (probably)
  3. What's the price? - Price will be higher than regular PS4. (No words on it yet)
  4. Is it going to appear on E3? - Nope.
  5. Compatibility? - Will be fully backward compatible with existing PS4 games.
  6. Won't have exclusive games library
  7. Natively supports PlayStation VR
  8. Plays 4K UHD Blu-ray/regular Blu-ray discs
  9. Upscales 1080p to 4K
  10. Improved hardware specs including an AMD Polaris 10 GPU
  11. All forthcoming PS4 games will support PS4K and PS4
  12. PS4K games to run at 1080p minimum

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

"It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4."

So Sony wants people to buy both their Playstation 4 consoles, because..? Can the PS4 Neo not do everything the regular PS4 can?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

So Sony wants people to buy both their Playstation 4 consoles, because..? Can the PS4 Neo not do everything the regular PS4 can?

I think they will cut the PS4's price down when the PS4 Neo is released

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

4 minutes ago, GarnetDevil said:

I think they will cut the PS4's price down when the PS4 Neo is released

Oh, so they mean the PS4 Neo will compliment the regular PS4 on the shelves of stores, not compliment it in people's living room.. I get it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Oh, so they mean the PS4 Neo will compliment the regular PS4 on the shelves of stores, not compliment it in people's living room.. I get it.

They want to keep the $199 PS4 dream alive imo

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

11 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I think they mean sit along side the PS4 in their current product lineup. Buyers can either get the PS4 at a lower price with less performance, or the PS4 'Neo' at a higher price with better performance. I'd guess game development will be similar so it will be the same game for each console, and if you have the Neo you will get higher resolutions and/or framerates.

edit: sorry, just saw someone else already pointed that out :D

Also, did they actually confirm anywhere this console is designed for 4K? Or was that just the article saying 4K over and over for no reason. I really don't think they will be achieving 4K with this hardware

Sony shoot itself on the foot. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, ohitsluca said:

Also, did they actually confirm anywhere this console is designed for 4K? Or was that just the article saying 4K over and over for no reason. I really don't think they will be achieving 4K with this hardware

That is not the actual specs. Its just a rumored specs. You can check this article for more http://goo.gl/uI4GlL

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

So if this supports 4K, does this mean it will have a 4K BD-ROM, or just support 4K playback?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

16 minutes ago, Minibois said:

This makes sense, suggesting there not phasing out the PS4 for this newer version, presumably there won't be any PS4 neo exclusives, They probably run the same software which will recieve the same updates etc etc.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

this is an extremely stupid

ive seen this before i know what road they are going down to

this is bad news to everyone

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Gotta love "improved" compute units....

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

2 minutes ago, Rupe said:

This makes sense, suggesting there not phasing out the PS4 for this newer version, presumably there won't be any PS4 neo exclusives, They probably run the same software which will recieve the same updates etc etc.

That is nice and all, but the cross-compatibility between system for the games and software (in particular with the retail disks), will still be a pain to program.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 minute ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

That is nice and all, but the cross-compatibility between system for the games and software (in particular with the retail disks), will still be a pain to program.

I'm sure Sony has spent a long time making sure this wont be the case in the design of the Neo. The components look almost the same just faster clock speeds on the Neo. Of course if it is the case that devs have to put any kind of significant effort into making sure it works on both consoles then that would be a misstep on Sonys part, but i'm sure they would of covered there bases on that one.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

They should wait and secure some Zen cores and some GDDR5X at least. That would make it an excellent upgrade.

So...the Neo will still be using a die shrunk version of this outdated CMT APU? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)

I know that 4K is more GPU than CPU heavy, but it'd really help out in multiplayer games, and indeed with AI in single player games, if they weren't planning to keep on using Jaguar APU, and actually planned on using Zen. Because 4 hyperthreaded Zen cores would take up less die space, leaving more room for an even larger GPU, and would be more efficient meaning it would put out less heat (going of what we know so far).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

They should wait and secure some Zen cores and some GDDR5X at least. That would make it an excellent upgrade.

GDDR5X is from what I can tell more expensive and in relatively short supply.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

GDDR5X is from what I can tell more expensive and in relatively short supply.

It is. Right now. But if they wait, as I said, the price will drop and the speeds increase and the stock will be normalized.

By the time Zen is ready for a custom SoC, GDDR5X should be closer to GDDR5 in price but also close to double the performance.

17 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Sony shoot itself on the foot. 

Not really they are forcing the big guys (EA, ubi, activision, etc) to support both, indies will probably be told that their game should render at 4k in the new console, also they will most likely say games will work with both consoles during the entire console life cycle until PS5 or whatever they will call it.

Also a price drop to sub 300$ on the original PS4 would be a nice play to calm down those that will critic this move.

13 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

99.9% sure the software will be the same, so they are just going to do a PC and up the graphics for PS4k. As for the disk, well either they will load two sets of textures or downsample the PS4k textures in the engine to run better on the PS4, everything else can be shared easily. 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 minute ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

Not really they are forcing the big guys (EA, ubi, activision, etc) to support both, indies will probably be told that their game should render at 4k in the new console, also they will most likely say games will work with both consoles during the entire console life cycle until PS5 or whatever they will call it.

Also a price drop to sub 300$ on the original PS4 would be a nice play to calm down those that will critic this move.

99.9% sure the software will be the same, so they are just going to do a PC and up the graphics for PS4k. As for the disk, well either they will load two sets of textures or downsample the PS4k textures in the engine to run better on the PS4, everything else can be shared easily. 

Judging by the kind of broken releases I see from triple A devs I'm betting they would screw up the optimisation for one of the consoles. There is a finite amount of resources and these resources will have to be split up for two consoles now for every major release rather than one; a compromise has to be made more or less. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

This is the PS4 we should have gotten back in 2013.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

35 minutes ago, ohitsluca said:

It can output a 4k video signal over HDMI 2.0 IIRC. No, the PS4 Neo won't be able to game at 4k. Maybe some casual games. 

I used to be quite active here.

So 36 compute units, with the 64 stream processors per CU, that gives 2304 stream processors.

That's the same as the RX480. We know the price of that when it's sold separately, so you can be guaranteed that Sony got that GPU at a nice price reduction since they only need the GPU, not the entire card.

That's nice, if the thing costs around $500 it'll finally be something worthy of getting.

Ye ole' train