[Updated] Sony officially confirms 4K ready Playstation - "PS4 Neo"

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

May I ask you what the point of a console is then? 

I've been wondering that one myself for years: Still no good answer to that one. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, ohitsluca said:

-snip-

This console will probably be achieving 1080p at 60 fps at last XD!

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

May I ask you what the point of a console is then? Retrocompatibility is nice of course, but the moment you start sectioning graphical quality you've basically built a locked down overpriced pc.

The point is the same as overpriced apple products. It's for people who can't be bothered to learn about pc hardware and how to build a pc. It's basically for people who want to plug something in and have it work out of the box. 

LTT conglomerate can use your support. Join us at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT .   See you in the verse.

28 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

have it work out of the box. 

That doesn't work anymore if you start to have ingame settings, compatibility concerns within the same generation and multiple boxes that look identical to choose from. Not to mention most games need to be installed and updated before running nowadays.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well played sony.

Now let's see that maximum motion blur, 24fps, all low graphical setting, temporal anti-aliasing 4k gameplay. Nothing will ever look better than something that looks like what a mostly blind man sees while having a stroke; I'm honestly doubtful you'll see a difference between the two!

In all seriousness though... The ps4 can barely handle 1080p as it is, this new neo MIGHT be able to manage 24-30fps on literally all low settings, and might look even maybe marginally smooth if they max out on as much motion blur and shitey aliasing, filtering, and anisotropic filtering. What you're going to get though, is far from what you should be. This should NOT be for 4k, this should maybe be relevant for people who have Qhd tv's (which many just don't) or for actual pleasant 1080p gameplay.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That doesn't work anymore if you start to have ingame settings, compatibility concerns within the same generation and multiple boxes that look identical to choose from. Not to mention most games need to be installed and updated before running nowadays.

My guess is there won't be graphics options like pc. It will simply detect which console version you have and automatically give you the appropriate settings. (i.e. Higher Frame rates and/or graphics if you have ps4 neo.) 

LTT conglomerate can use your support. Join us at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT .   See you in the verse.

2 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

My guess is there won't be graphics options like pc. It will simply detect which console version you have and automatically give you the appropriate settings. (i.e. Higher Frame rates and/or graphics if you have ps4 neo.) 

The problem is most if not all of the ps4 games are fps capped, so the neo probably wont even improve fps on a great deal of games. There will be less stuttering, for sure, but not really better fps.

Also, never said anything about being able to change settings, was actually sort of joking about how they'll slap you with all the worst possible settings making the game look like utter shit, just to get it to play at 4k.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

And people do complain about these things. Sometimes for legit reasons too. Whether your main gaming driver is console or PC, if you live in a rural area with shit Internet, mandatory day zero game updates have been a big problem for years. However, there is a "vast" (for the people in question) gulf of knowledge between researching parts and building a budget gaming PC geared for living room play out of those parts, versus going to most any big box store, buying one box, take it home, plug it in, and it works, irregardless of any setup woes that might exist (because those woes are the same, or more difficult, setting up a new PC).

Basically, people are lazy, and convenience is highly valued. Also, while the gap is shrinking, console hardware is still cheaper than an equivalent PC. You cannot build an mITX/HTPC that will go toe to toe with a PS4 for ~5 years with the same performance, unless you somehow scored a dirt-cheap, recent series GPU and Windows for free. Of course, you can get way, way, way more and cheaper games on PC and you don't pay for network services (PSN), so I think PC wins out hard in the medium/long term. But... People are also short-sighted, on top of lazy. They don't think with that kind of foresight on average.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

29 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

Fair enough as long as they're only 2... and at that point isn't that basically like what happened when the ps3 was still getting ports while the ps4 was already out?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

"upscaled"

pnUHm.jpg

"looks good to me fam"

I'm illustrating a point, doesn't have to be perfect

It looks like jagged garbage on a 4k screen, but maybe that was the joke...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

41 minutes ago, Commander Llama said:

And people do complain about these things. Sometimes for legit reasons too. Whether your main gaming driver is console or PC, if you live in a rural area with shit Internet, mandatory day zero game updates have been a big problem for years. However, there is a "vast" (for the people in question) gulf of knowledge between researching parts and building a budget gaming PC geared for living room play out of those parts, versus going to most any big box store, buying one box, take it home, plug it in, and it works, irregardless of any setup woes that might exist (because those woes are the same, or more difficult, setting up a new PC).

Basically, people are lazy, and convenience is highly valued. Also, while the gap is shrinking, console hardware is still cheaper than an equivalent PC. You cannot build an mITX/HTPC that will go toe to toe with a PS4 for ~5 years with the same performance, unless you somehow scored a dirt-cheap, recent series GPU and Windows for free. Of course, you can get way, way, way more and cheaper games on PC and you don't pay for network services (PSN), so I think PC wins out hard in the medium/long term. But... People are also short-sighted, on top of lazy. They don't think with that kind of foresight on average.

You say 5+ years of a thread about confirmation that just disproved this point. 

Talk about defeating your own argument. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

You say 5+ years of a thread about confirmation that just disproved this point. 

Talk about defeating your own argument. 

Um... present PS4's aren't suddenly useless because a new model comes out. Are PCs running GPUs two gens old useless too?

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

I'm finding it incredibly hard to believe that the PS4 neo will be able to properly play games at 4K resolutions. This new 36CU GPU looks like a gimped, underclocked R9 390, and no one in their right mind would call a 390 "4K ready". Its more in the territory of "4K if you think framerate is just a number". The only way I'd believe this is if you can crossfire two PS4 neos together, THAT just might be 4K ready.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

-snip-

The generation after this one will probably use Zen cores and dual graphics. Zen isn't ready yet.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

19 minutes ago, Commander Llama said:

Um... present PS4's aren't suddenly useless because a new model comes out. Are PCs running GPUs two gens old useless too?

Actually a bit : have you seen Kepler performance lately? Maxwell will soon fall off the face of proper driver support. 

It just doesn't feels as bad cause of the vast library of past games which is my point : x86 consoles should be fully backwards compatible creating a similar scenario. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

They should've focused on making a PS4 that will run all games at 1080p, 60fps and most (if not all) the eye candy options on high. Seriously 4k is pointless if its gonna be locked down to 30fps and the detailing looking like shit. But who knows, maybe the neo can do 4k 60fps + high detailing.

Targeting "hardcore gamers" huh. 4K ready, so as in playback. Let's see how it will do 1080p60 this time with new spec.
On the other note, it will be weird to see this so called mid-cycle console upgrade and same games on both. Seems it could be limiting to newer console cause they need to keep everything working for both the same. That limits potential for stronger one.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, Kobathor said:

It can output a 4k video signal over HDMI 2.0 IIRC. No, the PS4 Neo won't be able to game at 4k. Maybe some casual games. 

Its not really meant to be a $K console but one that can actually fucking run all of its games at 1080p.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I really hope developers are on board with this. I would be extremely disappointed to see the asterisk, "only works on PS4K*" next to PS4 titles. I also hope for equal optimization for both platforms even though its more work for the developer. 

So its not going to have the rumored 4.8TFlops of performance then? Those specs are marginally better.... not enough to increase the performance to that level though.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

4 minutes ago, sof006 said:

So its not going to have the rumored 4.8TFlops of performance then? Those specs are marginally better.... not enough to increase the performance to that level though.

1080p is supposed to be the minimum resolution for any game....so perhaps that's what devs and their slave drivers (AKA publishers).

PMSL

On 6/10/2016 at 6:10 AM, yorkiesandskittles said:

This is the PS4 we should have gotten back in 2013.

Do keep in mind that Neither Sony nor Microsoft wanted a repeat of the PS3/X360 failure rate and other such issues of cramming high end hardware in small boxes.

At 28nm, a Hawaii based APU would output far more heat than what is currently being used. Extra heat means beefed up cooling system, either larger heatsinks, faster and louder fans, or both. In addition, the PSU would also have to be upgraded to accommodate the higher power consumption and it's own heat output. Also, depending on how far temps are pushed, the failure rate may be elevated until a die shrink occurred (would have been 2 years).

All of the above factors would have pushed costs far higher than what Microsoft and Sony would have considered acceptable. Even if they decided upon eating losses-per-console again, you would end up with a hulking jet-engine in your living room (probably close to reference 290X).

Given the options, I believed the way they went was the best move with what they had. They eliminated the issues that plagued early x360/PS3 units at the expense of bleeding-edge performance, instead settling a couple tiers down. A reasonable trade off, is it not?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Do keep in mind that Neither Sony nor Microsoft wanted a repeat of the PS3/X360 failure rate and other such issues of cramming high end hardware in small boxes.

At 28nm, a Hawaii based APU would output far more heat than what is currently being used. Extra heat means beefed up cooling system, either larger heatsinks, faster and louder fans, or both. In addition, the PSU would also have to be upgraded to accommodate the higher power consumption and it's own heat output. Also, depending on how far temps are pushed, the failure rate may be elevated until a die shrink occurred (would have been 2 years).

All of the above factors would have pushed costs far higher than what Microsoft and Sony would have considered acceptable. Even if they decided upon eating losses-per-console again, you would end up with a hulking jet-engine in your living room (probably close to reference 290X).

Given the options, I believed the way they went was the best move with what they had. They eliminated the issues that plagued early x360/PS3 units at the expense of bleeding-edge performance, instead settling a couple tiers down. A reasonable trade off, is it not?

The problem with early PS3 and Xbox is that MS and Sony tried to sue the same cooling solution as they did on their previous consoles-and screwed it up badly. The old Xbox for example gets away with a single fan as its high RPM, and the case is designed so that air is drawn in from both sides and cools everything(you can actually feel the airflow easily-even when they are running at their low settings). 

PMSL