[Updated] Sony officially confirms 4K ready Playstation - "PS4 Neo"

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:24 PM, Minibois said:

"It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4."

So Sony wants people to buy both their Playstation 4 consoles, because..? Can the PS4 Neo not do everything the regular PS4 can?

It sounds like it.

I think that what they mean is the PS4 is like the 30fps edition and the PS4K is gonna be 60fps since it is upscaled 1080p.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I don't really care about the Neo as long as it doesn't hinder future titles for my PS4, but then again I hope to buy a PC sometime this year. Well still I just got my damn PS4 like 7 months ago.

I don't care about 4K or VR right now. 4K tends to cost a little more than 1080p or 1440p, and VR is stupidly expensive. I understand both are new technologies but, isn't there a point where what we have now is just fine? I mean yeah innovation and improvement is always a nice thing. But still when you hit that point, why isn't small steps okay?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

lol what a crock.    

just buy a pc and get a reall 4k machine

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, Kobathor said:

It can output a 4k video signal over HDMI 2.0 IIRC. No, the PS4 Neo won't be able to game at 4k. Maybe some casual games. 

If devs use the hardware properly, and as effectively as possible then I don't see why 4K games aren't impossible for the Neo to output. 

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Well, 

1)that pictures bullshit. The actual console isn't deep enough to fit a DVD. 

2) I'm actually interested how this will go. 

- snip-

8 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Well, 

1)that pictures bullshit. The actual console isn't deep enough to fit a DVD. 

2) I'm actually interested how this will go. 

Of course the picture is fake. What I'm wondering is how someone could make a render that awful?

• Eye-searing yellow completely out of line with any previous PS branding
  • Deeply recessed logo (as to not being able to fit anything underneath) with 4K as the name (what the hell is that?) 
  • Red and blue LEDs on the front that clearly compliments that gaudy yellow 
  • Shaped like some knock-off gold bar that is way too shallow and way too elongated 
  • USB ports that are made to be unable to actually have a USB cable plugged in.  
  • Apparently, the new PS4 does not need any ventilation at all.

Yup, seems legit.

4 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Of course the picture is fake. What I'm wondering is how someone could make a render that awful?

• Eye-searing yellow completely out of line with any previous PS branding
  • Deeply recessed logo (as to not being able to fit anything underneath) with 4K as the name (what the hell is that?) 
  • Red and blue LEDs on the front that clearly compliments that gaudy yellow 
  • Shaped like some knock-off gold bar that is way too shallow and way too elongated 
  • USB ports that are made to be unable to actually have a USB cable plugged in.  
  • Apparently, the new PS4 does not need any ventilation at all.

Yup, seems legit.

Ikr. It looks OK (in a retro kinda gaudy way, suit like a Lego themed setup or somrthifn) but it's hilariously stupid dimensions. 

It looks like some indie android TV or stream box. 

- snip-

1 hour ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Ikr. It looks OK (in a retro kinda gaudy way, suit like a Lego themed setup or somrthifn) but it's hilariously stupid dimensions. 

It looks like some indie android TV or stream box. 

If you're going to be playing on that, you're going to have to sit in this:

51TOcww%2ByUL._AC_UL320_SR296,320_.jpg

Despite all the arguments over 4K conventional gaming capability it seems pretty clear to me that the release of this console is not for that reason, despite how much Sony's marketing wants to hype that up. The performance boost is likely just for VR at acceptable frame rates at Full HD resolutions--that's about it.

The most likely reason for the new release is to allow Sony to market it's own highly-invested media format.

It is not coincidence that this console is being talked about for release about a year after the first 4K Blu-Rays hit the market. Just like the PS2 and PS3 before it, the PS4K is built to provide people a multifunction unit that enables them access to the next generation of optical media. This was even already discussed by people around the PS4's original reveal around E3--ultimately the PS4 felt lacking because it broke the cycle that Sony setup for itself and the machine itself felt premature. All the PS4K is is a way to re-enable that cycle.