How Bad Would It Be If Intel and Nvidia Went Bankrupt

Orangeator

What would happen in such a scenario with AMD being the only manufacture of GPU's and CPU's. Lets say mysteriously Intel and Nvidia just closed up shop (hypothetically speaking). What would the US government due to prevent price fixing... etc. Would it not be considered a monopoly? 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

The US GOV would bail Intel and nivida out. 

if not The GOv would split amd if they got out of line. 

Doesn't Intel and Nvidia already have price fixing and/or a monopoly? At least Intel does.

If that ever came even close I'm guessing that another company would just buy them out for their intellectual property as well as their fabrication stuff.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

they would take over the world

trees will be red instead of green

the sea and sky will be red instead of blue

the government cant do anything because everyone loves their facebook machine and AMD will be the only one capable of providing that

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Doesn't Intel and Nvidia already have price fixing and/or a monopoly? At least Intel does.

[cough] 5960X pricing [/cough]

[cough] gtx titan [/cough]

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

the government cant do anything because everyone loves their facebook machine and AMD will be the only one capable of providing that

Haha that is one way of looking at it. xD 

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

If that ever came even close I'm guessing that another company would just buy them out for their intellectual property as well as their fabrication stuff.

When Nvidia and Intel closed what if AMD bought their intellectual property and fabrication stuff... 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Realistically if Intel were to go bankrupt they would have to sell their x86 instruction set licensing which could probably bail them out. After that I don't really know what. If they did go bankrupt AMD or ARM would buy the x86 instruction set and go wild probably.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Apple, Qualcomm and other companies that use the ARM architecture...like who uses their desktop to browse facebook? (me so I'm literally contradicting myself...) and I wouldn't mind that to be honest...RED team For Lyfe :D

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Isn't monopoly like when you charge a insane amount for a product because no one else has it. Suppose that did happen and AMD is the only provider of CPUs and GPU, but they lower price, will that still consider to be a monopoly?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Apple, Qualcomm and other companies that use the ARM architecture...like who uses their desktop to browse facebook? (me so I'm literally contradicting myself...) and I wouldn't mind that to be honest...RED team For Lyfe :D

AMD will burn their company down, with the lemons

AMD will make the world bright red, with the tears and blood of their enemy

Spoiler

child-looking-suspicious-by-house-fire.j

It's an extremely unlikely situation. Intel and nVidia power almost every server in the world. The Goverment would just pay it out because they are so important as companies in the modern age

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Neither of those are monopolies or price fixing.

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Isn't monopoly like when you charge a insane amount for a product because no one else has it. Suppose that did happen and AMD is the only provider of CPUs and GPU, but they lower price, will that still consider to be a monopoly?

That's usually the consequence of a monopoly. A monopoly is simply when a single company has (nearly) every product in a certain area. So if AMD were to be the only producer of CPU's and GPU's they could give them away for free but it would still be a monopoly.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

11 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I know, that's exactly what I was talking about.

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

AMD will burn their company down, with the lemons

AMD will make the world bright red, with the tears and blood of their enemy

Reveal hidden contents

child-looking-suspicious-by-house-fire.j

Alright, time to hire some assassins and kill every single intel and Nvidia employee...Did I just say out my master plan to have AMD the only manufacturer? Oh ****

5 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

It's an extremely unlikely situation. Intel and nVidia power almost every server in the world. The Goverment would just pay it out because they are so important as companies in the modern age

Don't worry, I will just get bill gates bribe they with his billions of dollah dollah :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's still a monopoly because they don't have competition. That doesn't mean they engage in anti-consumer practices (although the temptation is huge when you're a monopoly).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 hours ago, Energycore said:

It's still a monopoly because they don't have competition. That doesn't mean they engage in anti-consumer practices (although the temptation is huge when you're a monopoly).

yea still not a monopoly... 

If Intel were to cease to exist today, as if by act of some magical wish upon a Genie, there would instantly be a critical shortage of server, desktop, and laptop components.  AMD would entirely lack the necessary production capacity to replace Intel's output and this shortage of components would drive up prices massively.  AMD would be expand their production capacity but this doesn't happen over night (Unless someone uses another Genie wish?  But that's all you got, you promised to save wish number three to set the genie free!) and this shortage of components would drag on likely over 2-3 years eve.  You think that PC parts cost a lot now?  Wait until AMD has only one CPU available for every ten paying customers.  Those of lesser financial means would find it much harder to build machines.  Even the companies with big bucks, it would drive up their equipment acquisition costs and those costs might be initially absorbed by the companies themselves but eventually they'd find their way on the shoulders of the customers somehow.

if Intel and Nvidia were to go bankrupt I could see a bidding war between M$, Apple, and perhaps Samsung for their assets including

patents and copyrights.

Trying to imagine these two billion dollar companions magically going bankrupt is really hard scenario to imagine...as hard as imagining what if America didn't have a McDonald's on every other corner. Some things you just can't imagine no matter how hypothetical! 

12 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

If that ever came even close I'm guessing that another company Samsung would just buy them out for their intellectual property as well as their fabrication stuff.

FTFY

Sorry AMD fans, there's no way Samsung would miss such an opportunity.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Intel currently has a profit of 2 billion a quarter. Its so far away from going under its not even plausible even if they sold no processors for the next 10 years they would go out of business.

On the other hand AMD appears to be about months away from actual bankruptcy, slowly desperately trying to claw back to profitability before it runs out of cash. Its one failed product release away from disaster.

17 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Haha that is one way of looking at it. xD 

When Nvidia and Intel closed what if AMD bought their intellectual property and fabrication stuff... 

Not sure if they'd be able to... not sure of the laws in the US. Here in the UK it wouldn't be allowed to happen I think, not entirely sure, but I know that when it comes to things like ISP/phone companies etc that they are monitored for that kind of thing.. for example there was a big debate recently about British Telecom (BT) buying out a phone/ISP company EE  source http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31144009

I believe it was debated that there would be less competition and therefore would allow BT to pretty much be the bearer of the one ring, and should therefore split off parts of it's company.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

What would happen:

ARM based CPUs would begin to dominate, and AMD wouldn't be able to keep up with GPU & CPU Demands.

S3 Graphics may pick up the loss of GPU Production, but:

It would be bad.