How Bad Would It Be If Intel and Nvidia Went Bankrupt

Orangeator

Hmmmm lets see....We will have to buy costlier AMD cards and processors

There would be a bid war probably. Samsung, Apple, Microsoft and perhaps Sony and even Nintendo. In which case sony and nintendo could potentially outbid everyone else. But there would be some regulations by the US goverment to prevent sony and Nintendo from buying it all, having some of the production and patents etc spread out amongst the companies. Then perhaps we'd see Qualcomm trying to make their way into the PC cpu market. And AMD would end up equally fucked as they are now.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

6 hours ago, Clonzoo said:

There would be a bid war probably. Samsung, Apple, Microsoft and perhaps Sony and even Nintendo. In which case sony and nintendo could potentially outbid everyone else. But there would be some regulations by the US goverment to prevent sony and Nintendo from buying it all, having some of the production and patents etc spread out amongst the companies. Then perhaps we'd see Qualcomm trying to make their way into the PC cpu market. And AMD would end up equally fucked as they are now.

You didn't include the fact that AMD would probably join the bidding war as well. What if they out bid all the others? 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

On 23/04/2016 at 0:03 PM, BrightCandle said:

On the other hand AMD appears to be about months away from actual bankruptcy, slowly desperately trying to claw back to profitability before it runs out of cash. Its one failed product release away from disaster.

Except from the money they are literally raking in from their full system sales (see: Xbox One & PS4). They also have a massive market for people who dont know computers being marketed £350 "gaming" PCs with AMD A8/A10 units.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2016/04/22/investors-pump-up-amd-stock-despite-continued.html?ana=yahoo

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

16 hours ago, Orangeator said:

You didn't include the fact that AMD would probably join the bidding war as well. What if they out bid all the others? 

All the companies I listed is more then 100 times the size of AMD if you look at the how much money they have. If AMD outbid everyone they would need to rob Bank of America or something.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

via technologies and matrox would rise offcourse xD

but seriously... monopoly laws theoretically stop anything from going wrong.

fun fact: belgium has like 5 cities that are served by an alternative postal service because the belgian post would otherwise have a monopoly position.

its silly sometimes, but its what keeps postage prices from skyrocketing even more. i already pay as much money to send 5 letters as i would to ship a box of electronics hardware from germany to my front door...

On 4/22/2016 at 3:07 PM, Moonzy said:

[cough] 5960X pricing [/cough]

[cough] gtx titan [/cough]

Both are extremely high end products that can be used to make money as professional "tools" in the workplace.

I don't think the pricing is messed up at all on those 2 items, given the performance they offer.  People that actually need those items will gladly shell out the money for them.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

On 4/22/2016 at 6:07 PM, Orangeator said:

When Nvidia and Intel closed what if AMD bought their intellectual property and fabrication stuff... 

They can't. They don't have enough money.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If Intel went bankrupt anytime soon people would literally be going to jail. You can steal/embezzle that much money and not be caught.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

If Intel went bankrupt anytime soon people would literally be going to jail. You can steal/embezzle that much money and not be caught.

How does bankruptcy equal theft?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

How does bankruptcy equal theft?

How can you go bankrupt with over $100 billion in assets without something crazy like that happen? Even if their stock price plummeted today they still have $61 billion in equity. In order for them to go bankrupt in the next few months it would take multiple things failing and human intervention.

-KuJoe

On 22/04/2016 at 11:18 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

Alright, time to hire some assassins and kill every single intel and Nvidia employee...Did I just say out my master plan to have AMD the only manufacturer? Oh ****

fanboy alert

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Now if we're talking years down the road, then that would mean either AMD market share has increased or another contender entered the market (Hello ARM! :D) so that would soften the blow a little bit.

-KuJoe

15 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

How can you go bankrupt with over $100 billion in assets without something crazy like that happen? Even if their stock price plummeted today they still have $61 billion in equity. In order for them to go bankrupt in the next few months it would take multiple things failing and human intervention.

Many things can occur. Theft is only one possibility. Bankruptcy does not equal theft.

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Many things can occur. Theft is only one possibility. Bankruptcy does not equal theft.

But since we're talking about hypothetical situations in this case it does. :P

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

But since we're talking about hypothetical situations in this case it does. :P

If it's hypothetical, we have no definitive cause and anything goes technically. So theft is a possibility, but that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. 

9 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If it's hypothetical, we have no definitive cause and anything goes technically. So theft is a possibility, but that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. 

In that case, either theft or foul play then. :D

-KuJoe

AMD would still find a way to make less money than they are now.

On 4/22/2016 at 6:07 PM, Orangeator said:

Haha that is one way of looking at it. xD 

When Nvidia and Intel closed what if AMD bought their intellectual property and fabrication stuff... 

The government probably wouldn't bail them out somebody would buy them. But all big buyouts of stuff like that has to be approved like ATT tried to buy tmobile a few years back for around 38 billion they both agreed on the price but the government decided it would make the carriers too much of an monopoly if they passed it so it was not aloud. 

AMD would take over and my life would be unchanged because I prefer AMD.