Watch Dogs 2 will be AMD optimized - AMD's Roy Taylor on Twitter

19 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Don't be so uniformed, if you don't push them back you can schedule them for whenever you want. Mine defaults to 3:30 AM because i never use my computer at that time

Is the option "check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them included? No. It will automatically download the updates and then install them at the specified time-and pushing them back can only be done for so long before they are forced. I did try Windows 10 out on my desktop for a month after all.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 minutes ago, Humbug said:

if we consider the steam survey as roughly representative of PC gamers then about 35% of all PC gamers use windows 10. Most publishers who spend massive money on AAA game budgets will not restrict themselves to that market. They will use DX11 or Vulkan so that they can hit windows 7 and 8 users as well. The exception would be Microsoft published games since they have a strategic objective to push windows 10 and windows store adoption.

35% of about 100 million steam users = 35 million users.

Most games, even massive MMOS like WoW has less then 30 million users.

Hell, i think the combined sales of the whole CoD franchise, PC + consoles is around 40 millions. Thats 10+ years of AAA FPS games.

25 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Is the option "check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them included? No. It will automatically download the updates and then install them at the specified time-and pushing them back can only be done for so long before they are forced. I did try Windows 10 out on my desktop for a month after all.

i do have the option to turn off updates on my windows 10. at one point i did have a usb port driver problem with arduino due to having a launch version of win 10 that i forgot i turned the updates off. To my knowledge the only win 10 version that you cannot turn updates off on is a pirated or 100% free version (not the free upgrade). The price of having an actual license without paying is that you get mandatory updates before veryone else to beta test them.

This is fun.
Where's my popcorn?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

if they wanna do something like that they will be better served with Vulkan.

otherwise they can only sell to windows 10 users.

I'm still waiting for Vulkan to outperform DX11 in Windows.
In theory Vulkan will have larger target audience but looking at how both AMD and Nvidia + Devs pushing DX12, i don't think we will have a mature Vulkan API/Driver in near future and it will be inferior to DX12 in quite some times.

Valve is the one that need to push Vulkan before their STEAM OS become history.

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Why would we want that? And at any rate. Games in the past have been released with the options to switch between API, so if they aren't lazy we might see that.

Rather than lazy i think they got no time to actually optimize for all APIs, so instead of focusing on many things i rather want they to focus on one API, that will consume less development time and expenses.

Is this base on new engine btw?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

17 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

i do have the option to turn off updates on my windows 10. at one point i did have a usb port driver problem with arduino due to having a launch version of win 10 that i forgot i turned the updates off. To my knowledge the only win 10 version that you cannot turn updates off on is a pirated or 100% free version (not the free upgrade). The price of having an actual license without paying is that you get mandatory updates before veryone else to beta test them.

That's a driver, and I know that MS eventually allowed people to disable driver updates. Eventually. Anyway, as long as there is an option to not use Windows 10 and therefore DX12, then there shouldn't be any problems. And if we are lucky, Ubisoft will use the Snowdrop engine from the division as it appears to scale very well across multiple threads .

3 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

In theory Vulkan will have larger target audience but looking at how both AMD and Nvidia + Devs pushing DX12, i don't think we will have a mature Vulkan API/Driver in near future and it will be inferior to DX12 in quite some times.

Valve is the one that need to push Vulkan before their STEAM OS become history.

Rather than lazy i think they got no time to actually optimize for all APIs, so instead of focusing on many things i rather want they to focus on one API, that will consume less development time and expenses.

Is this base on new engine btw?

Optimizing for multiple API isn't as hard as you'd think.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, zMeul said:

quoting from Phoronix:

So while it's exciting that the open-source Radeon Linux driver stack is maturing and becoming much more competitive with Catalyst, the whole AMD Linux driver stack with regard to OpenGL performance still needs to be improved. In several of these tests, all of the tested AMD hardware was slower than all of the NVIDIA GeForce hardware -- to the point a GTX 950 can beat out a Radeon R9 Fury using this driver stack to be found by default on Ubuntu 16.04. Hopefully AMD will become more competitive with NVIDIA in the Linux Vulkan space, but we still have to see AMD publicly release their AMDGPU-based Vulkan driver.

So the thing with phoronix is, Michael assumes that his readers have some sort of understanding of what he is talking about. It's amazing how things can read without context.

Open Source Radeon Drivers are not "AMD" Drivers. They're built and maintained by the community.
The Catalyst driver or FGLRX was up until recently the propritary driver for linux maintained by AMD.

So to understand we'll need to go through a few things.
The Linux Direct Rendering Manager Driver (DRM Driver)
- This is where AMDGPU Comes in. This is the part that AMD are updating with each kernel release. This is currently the "AMD" part being used in the benchmarks you're referring to.
Direct Rendering Infrastructure (DRI) This is what allows the Userspace Driver to interface with the DRM Driver.
Userspace Driver. This is the part that is either open or closed source.
- Open Source Radeon Driver (Based on MESA) This is the one used in said benchmarks.
- Catalyst (FGLRX) (Proprietary)

- AMD have since released their Full Linux Driver stack in Beta (I think the beta should say enough) But I will continue to elaborate for your sake.
This driver stack performs much more favourably than their Catalyst and the Open source drivers.
Now since you like to quote things, I will quote phoronix with a link kindly provided by yourself.

Source: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-nv-glvk&num=2

embed.php?i=1603225-GA-VULKANOPE76&sha=1

***EDIT***
here is a graph showing the on Open source drivers for context. (Just realised I missed it xD)
Source: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Talos-Principle-RadeonSI
embed.php?i=1602139-GA-TALOSRADE33,16021
/***EDIT***
Now don't get me wrong, AMD still has a long way to go.
But hating on them for trying to improve their platform as well as the experience of everybody seems a little harsh.

I would like to hear how you would handle their situation if you think they're doing such a bad job?                           

Edited by SubTract
context

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Honestly, I'm very happy AMD is stepping their foot forward and partnering with devs. I want to see them do more of it. It more than likely means my card will run great on an AMD 'optimized' game. Now if nVidia were a little more lenient on their methods we'd all win out.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

48 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

ya true we don't have any valid test cases yet. But at GDC the ashes of the singularity guys did say they expect no real performance differences between DX12 and Vulkan.

You're making a fuss where there is none to begin with. Based on history, it should run great on everything. Optimized for AMD doesn't mean optimized for consoles only. I know you really really really don't like AMD but this is crazy. One news and all hell breaks loose. How about, idk, waiting on performance reviews sometime in the future? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

nvidia fanboys are mad cause devs are optimizing for everyone :/ this is actually why we can't have nice things

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

what the hell are you talking about!?

AMD is doing render engine optimizations so it can work better on their HW - and if those "optimizations" happen to screw with nVidia owners, fuck them right?!

So AMD should do nothing at all and allow Nvidia to continue to lock them out of software that makes amd perform worse? Why's it okay for nvidia and not amd? Especially when amd will at least give nvidia a chance to develop proper implementation. Which if you think would be so difficult that it would make it run poorly on nvidia you are wrong.

If AMD can optimize their drivers to accommodate for nvidia without source code, then nvidia can definitely optimize their software WITH source code.

You're so hypocritical is almost hard to believe if you werent so stupid. 

Edit: spelling

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

I rather it be AMD and give Nvidia a chance to optimize it for there cards rather than NVIDIA causing more of a monopoly and just being like "Nope nope nope, fuck you, we'll drop your performance by 35% because WE CAN!"

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

It doesn't matter that it's "optimized for AMD" Nvidia's drivers since GTA5 came out have been worse than AMD drivers used to be in the early days of the 7xxx series and they don't show any sign of getting better. I got so fed up with the shit that I went back and installed the fucking release driver for the 960 and have been using it for months.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

4 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

Maybe Linux is just garbage for gaming.

Some butthurt linux guy is gonna penalize me for not installing the correct drivers n what not but with newest Linux drivers and newest windows drivers, I get about 20 less fps in all source games (cs, tf2, gmod ect.) and around 10 in triple As (that supports linux) with a 560...so...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

6 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

Maybe Linux is just garbage for gaming.

It's not the OS that is the issue. As an OS it is superior to Windows in every single way. As per the GUI layered on top of it, that has become horrifically fragmented, yes, but Fedora 23, and the current iterations of Ubuntu and Mint, have pretty much come up to par with Windows 7 and 8.1 in terms of utility and common-sense usable design.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's not the OS that is the issue. As an OS it is superior to Windows in every single way. As per the GUI layered on top of it, that has become horrifically fragmented, yes, but Fedora 23, and the current iterations of Ubuntu and Mint, have pretty much come up to par with Windows 7 and 8.1 in terms of utility and common-sense usable design.

Ease of Access. You're delusional if you think Linux is better then Windows in every single way. It has it's place in server space and for professionals but that's it.

No matter how much you want that to not be the case. Unless it's possible to not have to use the terminal, it's not going to happen ever. I've had to use the terminal within an hour every single time. Obvioussly if all you do is boot her up and go watch some cat videos, you might be ok without the terminal.

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

Ease of Access. You're delusional if you think Linux is better then Windows in every single way. It has it's place in server space and for professionals but that's it.

No matter how much you want that to not be the case. Unless it's possible to not have to use the terminal, it's not going to happen ever. I've had to use the terminal within an hour every single time. Obvioussly if all you do is boot her up and go watch some cat videos, you might be ok without the terminal.

You don't have to use the terminal anymore for the desktop/workstation distros unless you just want the finest-grained control, which is frankly the same way Windows works. The misconception that modern Linux requires you to use the terminal for your menial tasks is ridiculous.

For what? I do high performance c++ programming and library development, and the only time I go to the command line is when it's faster to just type out all the extra compiler flags once and then be able to hit the arrow key up to reuse it rather than go through 10 different menus in Netbeans to do it.

Give me a task you think you need CLI for and I practically guarantee you you don't. That said, letting people be illiterate and stupid has its own downsides, but let's not generate a flame war.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Can it at least have a good story this time? The last one was shit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Glorious times are over for nVidia and Jen Hsung Huang gets all the shit smeared over his face by Lisa Su, Raja Koduri and Roy Taylor.

However, fuck Ubisoft with their Watch_Doge as the first WD is truely fucked up and horrible game. "True next-gen" LOLOLOOOOOL! Ubisoft even got the tiny balls to create Watch_Dogus 2!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

17 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

You don't have to use the terminal anymore for the desktop/workstation distros unless you just want the finest-grained control, which is frankly the same way Windows works. The misconception that modern Linux requires you to use the terminal for your menial tasks is ridiculous.

For what? I do high performance c++ programming and library development, and the only time I go to the command line is when it's faster to just type out all the extra compiler flags once and then be able to hit the arrow key up to reuse it rather than go through 10 different menus in Netbeans to do it.

Give me a task you think you need CLI for and I practically guarantee you you don't. That said, letting people be illiterate and stupid has its own downsides, but let's not generate a flame war.

As of right now, and its been this way for over a year, its impossible to install Steam without using terminal on Ubuntu. You can search for it in the software center and it shows but when you click it there is no install button and if you click 'More Info' then it says something like 'Package Info Not Available'.

The weird thing is Valve used Debian for SteamOS and they recommend Ubuntu for gaming on Linux (if your not going to use SteamOS) and yet you can't actually do it with using a console command, granted its a very easy command but the point still remains.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

15 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

As of right now, and its been this way for over a year, its impossible to install Steam without using terminal on Ubuntu. You can search for it in the software center and it shows but when you click it there is no install button and if you click 'More Info' then it says something like 'Package Info Not Available'.

The weird thing is Valve used Debian for SteamOS and they recommend Ubuntu for gaming on Linux (if your not going to use SteamOS) and yet you can't actually do it with using a console command, granted its a very easy command but the point still remains.

That's actually not true. Just like Chrome you have to go to the website to download the package which Software Center will automatically install. Nice straw man.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

19 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That would be Valve's fault. There are plenty of applications you can install without CLI.

And my point about it still not being contrived (it is an extremely simple command) stands.

And as I see someone else responded, there is an external installer, just like for Google Chrome.

49 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I use Manjaro and it came with Steam pre-installed.

And even if it wasn't, installing it wouldn't be a hassle at all. Just use your package manager of choice, I personally use yaourt (and it's literally one command). It's probably easier than opening a web browser, going to the web page, downloading a file, opening the installer and going through the installer.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.