Watch Dogs 2 will be AMD optimized - AMD's Roy Taylor on Twitter

1 hour ago, Nineshadow said:

I use Manjaro and it came with Steam pre-installed.

And even if it wasn't, installing it wouldn't be a hassle at all. Just use your package manager of choice, I personally use yaourt (and it's literally one command). It's probably easier than opening a web browser, going to the web page, downloading a file, opening the installer and going through the installer.

That's what I've been finding, as long as I remember the name of the program all I need to do is: Ctrl+Alt+T, then type "sudo apt-get install *program name*   (sudo is to install it as the root user/admin BTW for everyone else)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Maybe this time I can get Aidan's iconic trousers with my pre order of the complete deluxe edition and season pass bundle.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

From what i remember i had problems getting Steam onto Ubuntu, this was around 9 months ago, but before that i had no problems getting it onto mint.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

16 hours ago, zMeul said:

this is why we can't have nice things

why can't AMD, nVidia and UBi just optimize the game for PCs?! you know .. DX12, Vulkan a Linux version

no?!

why do we need to keep trading nVidia's bullcrap for AMD's and vice-versa

Hardware developers are not responsible for the lack of optimization. Game developers are. If a game runs like shit, then the game developers need to rework the code so that it can run without those massive FPS swings, however demanding the game turns out to be. Optimized  ≠ Counter-Strike FPS.

Ultimately, any optimization problems are the fault of the developers, because whether they use GameWorks or some other library, if it runs like crap then they should rework the code. People also need to understand that just because a particular setting has Low, Medium, High, Ultra settings doesn't mean you actually need to max out the setting... - Jarred Walton

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Well... It can't be worse than the first game. Had some interesting and newish mechanics, but game play was utterly terrible. 

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

As of right now, and its been this way for over a year, its impossible to install Steam without using terminal on Ubuntu. You can search for it in the software center and it shows but when you click it there is no install button and if you click 'More Info' then it says something like 'Package Info Not Available'.

The weird thing is Valve used Debian for SteamOS and they recommend Ubuntu for gaming on Linux (if your not going to use SteamOS) and yet you can't actually do it with using a console command, granted its a very easy command but the point still remains.

here's how to install steam on debian based distros:

1. open a web browser

56f9c3bee546e_Schermatadel2016-03-2901-5

2. type in the address bar www.steampowered.com

56f9c493ae8fb_Schermatadel2016-03-2901-5

3. click on install steam

56f9c495841e2_Schermatadel2016-03-2901-5

4. click on install steam now

56f9c4ba4f682_Schermatadel2016-03-2901-5

5. wait for download to complete

56f9c528f1df6_Schermatadel2016-03-2901-5

you will then have steam

easy as pie, no command line involved, unless you consider mouse movements hard and painful like i do which in that case thank god there are command lines to accomplish such tedious tasks faster then what it takes me to move the cursor to install steam 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

As of right now, and its been this way for over a year, its impossible to install Steam without using terminal on Ubuntu. You can search for it in the software center and it shows but when you click it there is no install button and if you click 'More Info' then it says something like 'Package Info Not Available'.

The weird thing is Valve used Debian for SteamOS and they recommend Ubuntu for gaming on Linux (if your not going to use SteamOS) and yet you can't actually do it with using a console command, granted its a very easy command but the point still remains.

I don't know what the current situation is but the last time I tried using either Ubuntu or debian based distros I just went to the steampowered website and clicked install. Maybe there is an issue with a particular version of Ubuntu that Valve has not tested properly.

8 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's not the OS that is the issue. As an OS it is superior to Windows in every single way. As per the GUI layered on top of it, that has become horrifically fragmented,

Can you elaborate?

Not disagreeing, just interested.

3 hours ago, Humbug said:

Can you elaborate?

Not disagreeing, just interested.

Fragmentation? Non-issue (the file system self-repairs on HDDs and just ignores defragmenting on SSDs)

Corrupt, missing, leftover registry keys? Non-issue (no registry)

Security? Both through obscurity and lightweight anti-virus programs

Performance? Far fewer background processes and a thread handler with Supercomputing DNA make experience more consistent with little need to ever tweak system noise. Also, the POSIX threading model is a much more light-weight and efficient model vs. Microsoft native threads.

Useability? For that crowd that ever needs command line (for either environment), bash is much more intuitive to Microsoft's command prompt using Powershell.

24/7 Usage? You can update everything but the system's c/c++ main libraries without shutting down, and those don't get updated often anyway

Spying on the user? Unless you use Ubuntu (there may be modern exceptions, but Fedora is not one of them), you pretty much never find telemetry and other spying stuff built into the OS, and you can turn it off very easily. Heck, being open-source, you can even check and verify for yourself, for any distro other than proprietary supercomputer ones like AIX (IBM) and Intel's new one.

Stability? Rock freaking solid. Any crashes caused by interactions with the video card are because of drivers, and that's specifically an AMD/Intel/Nvidia/Matrox/Developer community issue that you can't blame on the OS.

Built-In Tools? I'd say GIMP is awesome and Libre Office is pretty much on-par with Microsoft Office, and they're both gratis software.

Footprint? Less than half the size of a Windows 7 installation if you want it (perhaps a major benefit of so many distros, many are tailored to be able to be installed on a 32GB SSD with plenty of room to spare).

Timely Updates? Depends on the distro, but some are near-daily, and you can set your update settings to get only the triple-checked "stable" updates vs. the more cutting edge. And, you can fully read and understand exactly what the updates are.

If there is a way windows is superior outside of the GUI design AS AN OS (3rd party support, such as games, is not an objective measure of the OS), I'd be interested to hear it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

-snip-

If there is a way windows is superior outside of the GUI design AS AN OS (3rd party support, such as games, is not an objective measure of the OS), I'd be interested to hear it.

They became a monopoly? Because stripping good features out of newer version (every version of Windows except except maybe XP and excluding Windows 8/8.1) and not even giving people the option to keep them definitely doesn't make it better.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I (unlike many of people) really enjoyed Watch Dogs for couple of months, then it got repetitive and dull. 

But so did GTA V (I was so overhyped for the game, waiting 2 years for it).

Even though Ubisoft is a crappy company IMO, I will most likely be buying Watch Dogs 2 when it comes out. I expect much better multiplayer and variety of modes.

Won't be running it on AMD GPU though. X70 or if I feel lucky X80 is my upgrade choice.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I should probably get back to completing the first one, im so bad at finishing long games ><

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

On 3/28/2016 at 10:09 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

inb4 a new feature is implemented and tanks nvidia cards for the next month or so

Inb4 Gameworks is implemented and tanks AMD cards*

<3

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Inb4 Gameworks is implemented and tanks both AMD and Older Nvidia cards*

Fixed ;)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

7 hours ago, super_skank said:

Inb4 Gameworks is implemented and tanks both AMD and Older Nvidia cards*

Fixed ;)

Yeah, I was flip-floppig between the two but finally decided to go with AMD since his was directly about Nvidia alone.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

• 2 weeks later...
On 29.3.2016 at 7:00 AM, patrickjp93 said:

Built-In Tools? I'd say GIMP is awesome and Libre Office is pretty much on-par with Microsoft Office, and they're both gratis software.

after what I am seeing, you are either right about most of them or I dont know (havent used Linux that much)

but that one point, Libre Office on pair with Microsoft Office... on the most easy and basic stuff, yeah, maybe, but in total, not at all. Tried to use it instead of office, not going back there for a while. And its uglier.

And the spell checker sucks compared to the one in Microsoft office, at least the Norwegian one.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

doesnt really matter who the game is optimised for, if it is as crappy as the first watch dog, ubisoft games are getting more and more shallow every year.

3 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

after what I am seeing, you are either right about most of them or I dont know (havent used Linux that much)

but that one point, Libre Office on pair with Microsoft Office... on the most easy and basic stuff, yeah, maybe, but in total, not at all. Tried to use it instead of office, not going back there for a while. And its uglier.

And the spell checker sucks compared to the one in Microsoft office, at least the Norwegian one.

Not surprising on the spell checker. How many Norwegians would bother to use it? You could always contribute to the dictionary (Microsoft Office does the same thing). And what "difficult" task are you trying to do? I can use it to host databases and do pivot queries and any oddball calculation or regression with ease. The PowerPoint equivalent is equally as good. Yes, the interface isn't as pretty, but it's laid out more logically.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd