Watch Dogs 2 will be AMD optimized - AMD's Roy Taylor on Twitter

this is why we can't have nice things

why can't AMD, nVidia and UBi just optimize the game for PCs?! you know .. DX12, Vulkan a Linux version

no?!

why do we need to keep trading nVidia's bullcrap for AMD's and vice-versa

AMDs stuff is open source so Nvidia has no problem implementing it. All this means is that AMD will have some engineers at ubisoft helping with the game dev.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, zMeul said:

because open source automatically translates to better performance?! oh please .. -_-

Nope it means that any company can implement it properly. Say Nvidia for example.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Nope it means that any company can implement it properly. Say Nvidia for example.

no it doesn't

just recently AMD was criticized over their open alternative for GameWorks because people have issues with tessellation/fur/hair stuff - AMD has yet to issue a fix, to my knowledge

and add to it Phoronix advising people with Radeons not to upgrade to the newest Ubuntu until AMD fixes their open driver crap

Just now, zMeul said:

no it doesn't

just recently AMD was criticized over their open alternative for GameWorks because people have issues with tessellation/fur/hair stuff - AMD has yet to issue a fix, to my knowledge

and add to it Phoronix advising people with Radeons not to upgrade to the newest Ubuntu until AMD fixes their GPU open crap

AMDs linux drivers have nothing to do with this?

Just now, thekeemo said:

AMDs linux drivers have nothing to do with this?

they are open - that's how AMD treats open

Just now, zMeul said:

they are open - that's how AMD treats open

Wait the drivers are open source?

Just now, thekeemo said:

Wait the drivers are open source?

yes mate

and the Linux community jumped to their throats for some coding mistakes they did inside them - people aren't happy

Just now, zMeul said:

yes mate

and the Linux community jumped to their throats for some coding mistakes they did inside them - people aren't happy

Well it does mean people can fix them. If it were closed source they would be even worse.

26 minutes ago, zMeul said:

why do we need to keep trading nVidia's bullcrap for AMD's and vice-

AMD's gaming evolved program in general has a good track record on optimization. I.e. Running well on both AMD and Nvidia and scaling well across different tiers of hardware.

of course the main responsibility lies with the game devs. Not the IHVs

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

Well it does mean people can fix them. If it were closed source they would be even worse.

quoting from Phoronix:

So while it's exciting that the open-source Radeon Linux driver stack is maturing and becoming much more competitive with Catalyst, the whole AMD Linux driver stack with regard to OpenGL performance still needs to be improved. In several of these tests, all of the tested AMD hardware was slower than all of the NVIDIA GeForce hardware -- to the point a GTX 950 can beat out a Radeon R9 Fury using this driver stack to be found by default on Ubuntu 16.04. Hopefully AMD will become more competitive with NVIDIA in the Linux Vulkan space, but we still have to see AMD publicly release their AMDGPU-based Vulkan driver.

Just now, zMeul said:

quoting from Phoronix:

This is a different scenario.  AMD drivers for linux does not affect how  Nvidia GPUs on linux perform.

This is a different scenario.  AMD drivers for linux does not affect how  Nvidia GPUs on linux perform.

not the point I was trying to make

the point is that open source doesn't mean better

Just now, zMeul said:

not the point I was trying to make

the point is that open source doesn't mean better

Still different scenario. I never said it makes the code better. It means it can work the same on all hardware. AMD is using the same code to run it on their hardware.

4 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

It means it can work the same on all hardware

except no, it doesn't

why? because they're different architectures and can complete the same task in different manner

GTXs are better at tesselation, Radeons are better at Async Compute - for example

other example: Maxwell v2 has DX12_1 feature level, Radeons don't

and the list can go on

they need to optimize for the common denominator, and that's the API - why can't they?

and leave the HW optimization stuff to the respective manufacturers

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

except no, it doesn't

why? because they're different architectures and can complete the same task in different manner

GTXs are better at tesselation, Radeons are better at Async Compute - for example

and the list can go on

Nvidia can mess with the code to optimize it for their GPUs.. AMD is not deliberately messing it up for Nvidia they give them the tools to make it work for nvidia if they so choose. The devs have to choose hairworks or tressfx. Hairworks is Nvidia only. TressFX is open source meaning it can be made to work properly with both.

If this means ALL cards will perform as they should, then I will support it. But if nvidia's performance is not at where it should then no.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Nvidia can mess with the code to optimize it for their GPUs.. AMD is not deliberately messing it up for Nvidia they give them the tools to make it work for nvidia if they so choose.

I'm sure that's how it will play out, except it won't

AMD made a huge fuss over Ashes, Async Compute and how Maxwells can't

Just now, zMeul said:

I'm sure that's how it will play out, except it won't

AMD made a huge fuss over Ashes, Async Compute and how Maxwells can't

See edited post.

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

except no, it doesn't

and the list can go on

How about you guys argue in a PM or something please? It's tiring when even the first page of a tech post has an argument; I want to see what other people think about these topics not some almost unrelating argument about GPU architectures and Linux performance leave that for a few pages after if anything.

OT: If they fix the driving in watch dogs 2 then maybe I'll give it a chance. Dispite the fact the game ran horrible I would have been a little more forgiving if whenever you stepped in a car it atleast felt it had weight.

But I have hopes for the 2nd run because the game was fun to play sometimes. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Just now, thekeemo said:

See edited post.

can i disable TressFX, GameWorks? I should, because I don't give a shit about fluff