Apple reportedly, is closing a $12.8 Billion deal with LG and Samsung to make OLED displays

AlTech

iPhone-6s-display-635x400.jpg

Apple apparently is closing  a $12.8 Billion dollar deal with LG and Samsung to make OLED Displays. They will reportedly begin using them in iPhones in 2018.

LG and Samsung Display are close to a final agreement with Apple for the screens, the Electronic Times report said, adding the two Korean firms plan a combined 15 trillion won ($12.8 billion) in capital expenditure to build up OLED production capacity over the next two to three years. – Reuters.

Earlier rumors of Apple planning to use OLED screens for iPhones starting in 2018 seem to fit well with these latest claims as both these suppliers have to start ramping up their production capacities. LG is said to be switching its existing LCD lines to manufacture OLED panels to reduce investment costs, while negotiations with Samsung are still ongoing as Samsung is likely getting a bigger slice of this deal. Apple is also providing funds for some of the equipment that LG and Samsung Display will require to increase their production capacity.

While Apple’s iPhones feature top of the line hardware, including industry leading chips, it has a long way to go in terms of screen quality to please its user base. OLED displays aren’t only thinner, but are also said to be more power-efficient. However, users have long wished for these panels as they offer more vivid colors. For Apple’s side of the story, these panels can be expensive than the LCD screens and they are also said to be more prone to breakage.

Kinda cool except I've grown a little hatred for OLED  and AMOLED based on display burn in.

http://wccftech.com/apple-to-source-iphone-oled-panels-from-samsung-and-lg/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12.8 billion?! Jesus.

There are parts of the world where people are collapsing on the streets out of hunger and yet Apple has spent 13 billion to make the screens in their devices a bit nicer. Fuck the world.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

13B is nothing for Apple lmao

considering how much money the iphone makes for them, 13b is a marshmallow in a cup of hot cocoa.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Sounds about right. I like how the URL for this post says '128-billion' because no punctuation.

that'd be solving 10 percent of the us' debt.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

the us total debt is around 64 trillion dollars, it's more like .15%

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

And yet people starve.

DONT WORRY WE DONATED $1000 TO AFRICA WE ARE NICE COMPANY PLEASE BUY FROM US EZ MONEY 10 PHONES =100s OF LIVES NO PROBLEM

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

13B is nothing for Apple lmao

It's a metric butt-ton of money for everyone else on the planet.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

if only apple(and others) paid their taxes

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

the us total debt is around 64 trillion dollars, it's more like .15%

nah it's more like 16 trillion, so 1 percent.

if only apple(and others) paid their taxes

however nice it would be

it

wouldn't solve anything.

nah it's more like 16 trillion, so 1 percent.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/ this is the source I got 64 trillion from

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

http://www.usdebtclock.org/ this is the source I got 64 trillion from

i don't see 64 trillion anywhere.

Hopefully Apple won't use the silly color profiles that Samsung uses. It's so frustrating when the camera app changes the color profile to the inaccurate adaptive profile rather than the basic that I selected in the display settings or when you're out and about with auto brightness in the sun and all of a sudden the screen changes to the adaptive profile in order to get bright. AMOLED either isn't ready or Samsung is just trolling me. 

OLED's for phones.... not interested. :P

More monitors and TV's please, that's where Picture quality matters, and where its most needed.  LCD's needed to go 5 years ago.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

http://www.usdebtclock.org/ this is the source I got 64 trillion from.

In pure dollar term, it means very little. It looks huge, but US economy is the biggest in the world. Like average Joe makes a $10,000 bank loan is not the same as Mark Zuckerberg makes the same loan. It makes more sense if you measure it related to GDP and the capability to repay it, which indicated by bond yield. At this point, the US debt to GDP ratio is ~101%. Which is high but not unsustainable. As long as the economy is growing as fast or faster than the debt. It is no big concern.

It's about time...

Kinda cool except I've grown a little hatred for OLED  and AMOLED based on display burn in.

I thought that's what the active matrix was supposed to solve

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I always enjoy when apple uses its competitors fir parts. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

I always enjoy when apple uses its competitors fir parts. 

because they can't seem to innovate for shit soon after steve jobs moved on. but they still fucking steal from others and selling it as their own. hahaha i see the logic.