75% of people will hate Spotify's reportedly new idea and Spotify responds

AlTech

Spotify is reportedly considering allowing Artists to offer some content to PAYING subscribers (Spotify Premium Users). This is a response from being bullied by Artists about this. Spotify being bullied by Artists? Yeah, I couldn't make this stuff up. If Spotify doesn't do what Artists want then the artists will leave Spotify.

Spotify has roughly 80 million active monthly users, 20 million of whom pay and 60 million of whom enjoy the music for free and listen to ads. The company has always maintained that all of its users would have access to the same catalog of music. Now The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Spotify will test a new approach, allowing artists to withhold certain albums from free users.

Earlier this year, Spotify had a very public spat with Taylor Swift, who eventually pulled her catalog. She was unhappy with the amount Spotify paid per stream. The company pays far more for streams from paid subscribers than it does from streams going to ad-supported users. Mega-stars like Swift and Adele believe they can make more money by staying off streaming services at first and selling their music as CDs and downloads instead. Today's report says Swift asked Spotify to make her album available only to paid subscribers, and decided to pull her catalog entirely when they refused.

The danger for Spotify is that all musicians may want to use this approach, hoping to entice their biggest fans into paying for their music when it's released, rather than waiting a week or two to stream it. If that music ends up trickling out to other services users can access for free, like YouTube, Spotify could lose the portion of the market that prefers not to pay for music. Of course, artists and labels are likely to bring the same set of demands to YouTube if they get concessions from Spotify.

THIS COULD LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD WITH APPLE AND PANDORA

Losing the biggest new music in its free tier would also give Spotify less of an advantage over services like Apple Music and the upcoming on-demand streaming service from Pandora, which plan to offer the same catalog as Spotify but don't intend to offer a free, ad-supported option for on-demand listening.

This is what Spotify had to say:

"We are 100 percent committed to our model because we believe that a free, ad-supported tier combined with a more robust premium tier is the best way to deliver music to fans, create value for artists and songwriters, and grow the industry. In that context, we explored a wide range of promotional options for the new Coldplay album and ultimately decided, together with management, that Coldplay and its fans would best be served with the full album on both free and premium this Friday."

IMHO - YAY Spotify! Don't let the music industry bully you! Kepp doing what you do and you'll be fine!

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/8/9873118/spotify-keep-music-off-free-tier

Leave a comment below!

Edited by Godlygamer23
Fixed formatting.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

what formatting did you fix @Godlygamer23 ??

its still all gray lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what formatting did you fix @Godlygamer23 ??

His quote was messed up. I fixed it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

they believe they can make more money by staying off spotify and just selling cds and downloads? I'm pretty sure people will just get it off certain websites for a very,very,very reduced cost if they can't  get it off a streaming service. 

As for what i use. I used to be Spotify Free user but 6 months ago I switched Spotify premium and pay the equivalent of $6.99 USD per month

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

GG Spotify, is this what Apple Music was hoping would happen?

Im a Premiun user myself, but thank god Spotify stepped in and decided to be the good guy

Music should be a free thing in this world, or at least I believe so.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

music has to be free for everybody to enjoy. if there's a favorite artist of yours that decided not to release its newest album to free users, would you be mad? i would be mad as hell. thank god spotify didn't pull through with the plan.\

i desperately need premium.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Spotify's stubbornness will be the death of them. They need to allow artists to release content exclusively for paying members.  

music has to be free for everybody to enjoy. if there's a favorite artist of yours that decided not to release its newest album to free users, would you be mad? i would be mad as hell. thank god spotify didn't pull through with the plan.\

i desperately need premium.

If you aren't paying what right do you have to be mad? I don't see anything wrong with removing free content and making it premium. 

Why? Artists shouldn't be paid for their music? 

Yes they should, but as important as music is to many people lives, I could argue that a lot of music should be free.

All of the artists' money isnt made from online, although a lot of it is.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I switched to google play and I am now patiently waiting for youtube red to become available in Canada

Yes they should, but as important as music is to many people lives, I could argue that a lot of music should be free.

All of the artists' money isnt made from online, although a lot of it is.

So....all their hard work to make the music and you think it should cost nothing? I'm confused as to how you can even hold that opinion. 

If you aren't paying what right do you have to be mad? I don't see anything wrong with removing free content and making it premium. 

i see something totally wrong with this.

So....all their hard work to make the music and you think it should cost nothing? I'm confused as to how you can even hold that opinion. 

Spotify can just pay them royalties or something.

And as @Swndlr said, online music isn't where all their income comes from. They have other sources other than Spotify to get money off.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

And as @Swndlr said, online music isn't where all their income comes from. They have other sources other than Spotify to get money off.

Don't want to pay, don't complain if they take things away from you. You pay nothing, you have no right to complain. 

Music should be a free thing in this world, or at least I believe so.

As a musical artist and an avid music listener, I know what you mean, but you don't realize the amount of work that goes into making music these days if you think it should be free. Even most of the garbage pop and rap music that gets put out has had some producer work at getting tones sound the way it needs to be for the song, getting the mixes just right, etc. That's not counting how long it takes to actually form the song.

There's a lot of work involved just to have the stuff released for free.

Now, I do know a lot of artists will overspend on their album (such as not practicing their parts and taking up more time in the studio than needed, which is a popular one with young artists) and expect to make that money back quick, but they still should be able to sell their music and not have it released on the internet for free.

Just because it's digital doesn't mean it should be free.

Yeah. All the labels and records are paranoid and are worried about losing money. They are making artists go on tours in order to make boat loads of money.

Okay, awesome to see them have a back-bone :P

Not that I listen music a lot, or even use Spotify anymore.

Don't want to pay, don't complain if they take things away from you. You pay nothing, you have no right to complain. 

Not Everybody Can Pay,An AD Based System Fixes That