75% of people will hate Spotify's reportedly new idea and Spotify responds

AlTech

ok i absolutely hate her and i'm happy none of her music is on spotify. thank god.

i was thinking spotify pays them like commission in a sort of way.

It works in a similar way as YouTube.

If you listen to a song as a "free" user, the artist gets paid a very very very very very tiny amount of money.

If you listen to a song as a Premium user, the artist gets paid significantly more.

The main difference is that YouTube only pays if you get served an ad on the specific video you watch, whereas I believe Spotify pays Artists based on total ad views averaged out.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i actually have an adblocker to block ads on my desktop version. i can't stand ads. but i just hate how you can't listen offline. it pisses me off a lot

You can listen offline for $10 a month with no ads.

You can do the same with Google Play as well as have youtube ads removed for just $10 a month.

I am a writer/producer/artist, and while I'd like to get paid, I'd really just want people to listen and appreciate my music. But if you don't write/produce, you really only do the singing/rapping for the money. To each is their own IG.

Do you often play shows across the country? Because if you did, you would like not having to worry about having to pay off your studio time with your label, or making a few bucks off of each copy of your album so you can eat.

I do get that some artists just don't care, but either you're in a position to where you don't have to care since you may make enough money playing shows (getting unpopular nowadays), or you don't actually have any fans.

music has to be free for everybody to enjoy. if there's a favorite artist of yours that decided not to release its newest album to free users, would you be mad? i would be mad as hell. thank god spotify didn't pull through with the plan.\

i desperately need premium.

Sadly it doesn't work like that. Sure music can be free, but they make a living as well. Also there is something called youtube. 

Not to mention most people even listening without having to pay anywho, as said youtube is something magically and other websites that upload artist soundtracks.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Since I took the 30 day trial of Spotify premium, I've been a paying customer. I wouldn't mind that they offer specific content to paying customers only. Those who are using Spotify free who are making a shitfit about this probably wouldn't have paid anyways. I am also unsure whether Spotify gets any revenue from ads, cause AFAIK in my region the only ads there were of Spotify apss n stuff.

artists will end up destroying services like spotify then bitch when everyone has gone back to piracy and they are making no less money than they are now....i mean how fucking greedy are these twats

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Do you often play shows across the country? Because if you did, you would like not having to worry about having to pay off your studio time with your label, or making a few bucks off of each copy of your album so you can eat.

I do get that some artists just don't care, but either you're in a position to where you don't have to care since you may make enough money playing shows (getting unpopular nowadays), or you don't actually have any fans.

I agree with most of what you said, but shows are getting unpopular nowadays? Most artists make their money from signing with a company, and playing live shows.

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

artists will end up destroying services like spotify then bitch when everyone has gone back to piracy and they are making no less money than they are now....i mean how fucking greedy are these twats

artists that always bitch about services like these, like Taylor Swift, deserve to die. they're so fucking greedy and they don't deserve their career.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

artists that always bitch about services like these, like Taylor Swift, deserve to die. they're so fucking greedy and they don't deserve their career.

You jelly? 

Taylor Swift is famous because she has fans who like her music. If those fans didn't exist she wouldn't exist. So yes she deserves it. She made music, people like it, people pay for it. Go get some butt cream and a job bro. 

You jelly? 

Taylor Swift is famous because she has fans who like her music. If those fans didn't exist she wouldn't exist. So yes she deserves it. She made music, people like it, people pay for it. Go get some butt cream and a job bro. 

no she doesn't. her fans don't realize all of the bullshit that she's behind, like the was nominated for being the most helpful celebrity in america. while akon installed 8000 streetlights and also electricity in every home in the country he is in. But did he get nominated for anything? Nope, because it's just about fucking popularity.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I agree with most of what you said, but shows are getting unpopular nowadays? Most artists make their money from signing with a company, and playing live shows.

Meant making enough money from shows. There's many startup bands that just don't make enough and have to stop playing.

You jelly? 

bullshit Taylor swift is famous because some one greased the wheels. there are to types of artists....your Taylor Swifts, then your Corey Taylors.....one appeal to the mass market ie kids and the other appeals to real music fans long and short TS is famous because the music industry made her famous CT earned it

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

bullshit Taylor swift is famous because some one greased the wheels. there are to types of artists....your Taylor Swifts, then your Corey Taylors.....one appeal to the mass market ie kids and the other appeals to real music fans long and short TS is famous because the music industry made her famous CT earned it

EA should give me free games! They appeal to mass market! I'm not mass market but I want them anyway!

Seriously dude. I don't like Taylor Swift nor do I care about her. The point of the whole stupid argument is that these people do something that requires a lot of time and effort and deserve to be paid for it. I don't care if you don't like her or not. Her shit isn't free nor should it be. 

EA should give me free games! They appeal to mass market! I'm not mass market but I want them anyway!

Seriously dude. I don't like Taylor Swift nor do I care about her. The point of the whole stupid argument is that these people do something that requires a lot of time and effort and deserve to be paid for it. I don't care if you don't like her or not. Her shit isn't free nor should it be. 

She doesn't have talent whatsoever, so she doesn't deserve to get paid at all.

An interesting parallel with the Gaming Industry would be something like League of Legends. A free to play game that got huge exposure and a large userbase, largely because it was F2P and also a good game that had no barrier to entry. It grew a huge revenue stream out of it's popularity.

So I think using Taylor Swift to frame this argument is somewhat self defeating. The argument that an artist can grow revenue out of popularity, without the requirement for an upfront payment for a product is a valid one. It's not the purest form of capitalism, but the idea that the only way an artist can get paid is upfront exchange of currency between each and every consumer and the producer, seems to be a rather dated one.

She doesn't have talent whatsoever, so she doesn't deserve to get paid at all.

I have a hard time understand these types of positions.

@jaggysnake57 Pray tell, what exactly is the difference between a "real music fan", and the mass market? That sounds like elitist nonsense.

You like something very specific, and some people like something else. That's pretty much that. If people didn't like Taylor Swift - if she had no talent, people would simply not listen to her.

@terrytek If Taylor Swift has no talent, then people won't listen to her, and thus she won't get paid. If you don't like her, then don't ever listen to her music, and she won't get any money from you.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

An interesting parallel with the Gaming Industry would be something like League of Legends. A free to play game that got huge exposure and a large userbase, largely because it was F2P and also a good game that had no barrier to entry. It grew a huge revenue stream out of it's popularity.

So I think using Taylor Swift to frame this argument is somewhat self defeating. The argument that an artist can grow revenue out of popularity, without the requirement for an upfront payment for a product is a valid one. It's not the purest form of capitalism, but to say that the only way an artist can get paid is upfront exchange of currency between each and every consumer and the producer, seems to be a rather dated one.

How many other good MOBA or F2P games have been able to replicate LoL's success though? Sure, there are a few, but it doesn't always work both ways. Also, a game has to be suited to the F2P business model, and be built or tweaked to work that way.

How many other good MOBA or F2P games have been able to replicate LoL's success though? Sure, there are a few, but it doesn't always work both ways. Also, a game has to be suited to the F2P business model, and be built or tweaked to work that way.

Indeed, I was gonna add something similar in my post. I'm kinda playing devil's advocate here tbh.

But yeah, the indirect revenue models we're talking about only really pay off when something becomes incredibly popular. Which is why I said Taylor Swift isn't a great example. The type of stuff I listen to wouldn't get 1 Billion views even if I spent the rest of my live trying to figure out how to viewbot Youtube.

so her work is more important than a doctors or a nurse, police officers, fire fighters, teachers? by saying she deserves to get paid you attribute some arbitrary figure to her worth and by doing that you can then start comparing her worth to other members of society and thats when your argument soon falls apart. no one DESERVES to get paid, its all quid pro quo. if people dont feel that she is entitled to her money they wont pay.

BTW on the subject of ass hat-ery, she is trying to copyright the word swiftmas.....she already tried to copyright "1989"....the twat

so her work is more important than a doctors or a nurse, police officers, fire fighters, teachers? by saying she deserves to get paid you attribute some arbitrary figure to her worth and by doing that you can then start comparing her worth to other members of society and thats when your argument soon falls apart. no one DESERVES to get paid, its all quid pro quo. if people dont feel that she is entitled to her money they wont pay.

BTW on the subject of ass hat-ery, she is trying to copyright the word swiftmas.....she already tried to copyright "1989"....the twat

That's not the world we live in. Be realistic. By your ideology , Doctors and firefighters and teachers should be paid millions per year. While some doctors can make that much via private sector business, that's even less ideologically good, since they're charging the client directly for healthcare access.

We live in a world where people decide what you make, via demand and the nature of the business. A doctor can only work with so many people per day, per month, per year, etc. So even if you charge per visit, there is only so much they can make. Whereas an entertainer (Musician, athlete, etc) can see exponential growth.

The system we have with Musicians isn't perfect, but it's not that bad either. With the current system, regular musicians can make a living, without having to become super famous. The byproduct of course is that if you do become super famous, then you probably get filthy rich.

Welcome to capitalism. This is the world we live in. Don't like it? Move to a communist country or form your own society based on your own ideals.

Taylor Swift is just really a greedy hog who just wants fucking wealth and doesn't even care about her fans. like her fans wanted her to put music back on spotify, but she still hasn't put them. what a twat.

Welcome to capitalism. This is the world we live in. Don't like it? Move to a communist country or form your own society based on your own ideals.

Or wait for it to collapse? Am I right? It's probably going to collapse? Right?

Or wait for it to collapse? Am I right? It's probably going to collapse? Right?

*Shrugs* Who knows? Everyone knows Capitalism isn't perfect. But it's the best system found that works to date.

I imagine there are better systems, certainly. But no "altruistic" or "utopian" system can work until humanity has psychologically evolved a significant degree. Humans can be pretty terrible beings that are selfish, greedy, and independent.

Also, personal "freedom" is a big thing in most Western nations, so a system besides Capitalism would have to be very carefully designed to not upset that balance. I can't imagine one that would work well enough to replace Capitalism.

I personally favour regulated Capitalism with social democracy.