75% of people will hate Spotify's reportedly new idea and Spotify responds

AlTech

All I have to say is.... Pandora. No issues, on any OS. Paid or Free.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Not Everybody Can Pay,An AD Based System Fixes That

Not everyone can afford 980tis. Not everyone can afford to go out to eat all the time. It's $10 a month. If you want everything pay it. If not too bad. Not everything in life is free. The entitlement is insane sometimes. "I watch ads I should be able to listen to all this for nothing!"

Not everyone can afford 980tis. Not everyone can afford to go out to eat all the time. It's $10 a month. If you want everything pay it. If not too bad. Not everything in life is free. The entitlement is insane sometimes. "I watch ads I should be able to listen to all this for nothing!"

Except The Ads Are Money.They Might Not Be Much For 1 Ad,But They Do Add Up

We can always go back to the days of ripping it illegally. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Given how easy it is to modify your hosts file to block Spotify adverts, I'm kinda surprised the "free" version is so unrestricted.

It's their music, they can do what they want with it. It's not like we don't do the same thing when given similar choices.

could also go back to the days of the Great Depression. 

Yea, that is relevant...

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Pandora One is pretty much my STREAMING service of choice (no One right now since I'm broke).

As for actually buying music, Play Music is the shit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I don't really see the point in music streaming services, if I want to listen to something I'll check it out on YouTube, if I like it I'll buy it and put it on my phone.

Maybe it's because I don't consume music as much as I consume other media? Either way if this premium membership helps everyone as a whole then by all means.

back to borrowing and lending CDs

inb4 lending = piracy

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Given how easy it is to modify your hosts file to block Spotify adverts, I'm kinda surprised the "free" version is so unrestricted.

i actually have an adblocker to block ads on my desktop version. i can't stand ads. but i just hate how you can't listen offline. it pisses me off a lot

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If you can't afford 5 bucks a month for a whole lot of stuff, like skipping a "coffee" a month then maybe you should go back using a other format. You can't expect everything to be free right...

They give you 99 cents for 3 months then 5 dollars a month if you're a student..how hard is it to pay that off. Just skip a drink or a snack since that'll cover it.

If you want it for free might as well make your own music as the artist own the rights to do whatever they want with it.

Okay, awesome to see them have a back-bone :P

Not that I listen music a lot, or even use Spotify anymore.

I though you left the forum because of this "section"....

I though you left the forum because of this "section"....

Oh, not because of this section only :D I just came back anyway

I actually have the premium only because I want to listen to high quality music. Anything below 128kbps is just too painful to listen imo. Don;t think I'll be going back to the free version anytime soon unless I can;t afford the premium anymore. Back to the original article, I think Spotify did a good job resisting to the music industry. Seriously if they ever did that, who knows what other absurd things they can start figuring out to charge people. Maybe no more playing music on speakers because others who didn't buy the music could listen to it. Or DRM cd/digital songs where it can only play to one (registered) music player.

Ohh this just sounds the same as Linus having his videos on Vessel a week before Youtube. Same concept and no doubt it will happen to Spotify as well (earlier release for premium users).

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Aww man...well, Spotify was fun while it lasted if this ends up being a thing. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Why? Artists shouldn't be paid for their music? 

I am a writer/producer/artist, and while I'd like to get paid, I'd really just want people to listen and appreciate my music. But if you don't write/produce, you really only do the singing/rapping for the money. To each is their own IG.

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

Spotify premium is worth every cent, especially for students - yay!

who cares...

Dat thread title... 

Guidelines :

• The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required.

I know the thread will talk about Spotify but that's pretty much it. Put some effort into it next time please. 
Ex: Spotify considering content exclusive to premium members. 

Yeah taylor swift really needs more money, haha. Don't get me wrong, love her to death, got a poster of her right above my head, but she bought her mansion in rhode island with cash  :blink:

Havent we already solved this issue? Havent we already shown that free content and exposure has little to no impact on the overall industry? Most of these artists money does not come from the consumer, there's usually something in between, like spotify, that pays. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Yeah taylor swift really needs more money, haha. Don't get me wrong, love her to death, got a poster of her right above my head, but she bought her mansion in rhode island with cash  :blink:

Havent we already solved this issue? Havent we already shown that free content and exposure has little to no impact on the overall industry? Most of these artists money does not come from the consumer, there's usually something in between, like spotify, that pays. 

ok i absolutely hate her and i'm happy none of her music is on spotify. thank god.

i was thinking spotify pays them like commission in a sort of way.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D