oh nVidia, you know you fckd up when you endorse addons linked to "piracy"

zMeul

source: https://torrentfreak.com/nvidia-inadvertently-endorses-site-offering-pirate-kodi-addons-151206/

the story goes like this: in a effort to advertise their Shield product and Kodi player, nVidia inadvertently advertised how to install a particular add-on, Fusion, linked to pirated content
to be clear, Fusion is not illegitimate software but is has been linked to piracy

Nvidia then proceeded to offer instructions on how to install Fusion, a package containing addons which allow the viewing of anything from user-uploaded content to the latest movies. Again, there is no indication that the company intended to directly advise people on how to access pirate content (note:in countries such as the Netherlands, facilitating the viewing of pirate streams is yet to be made illegal) but the software being installed certainly provided that capability in spades.

The faux pas might have gone unnoticed but soon complaining posts began to appear on Kodi’s official forums, made worse by the fact that Nvidia is an official Kodi sponsor.

“Didn’t want to post this, but since Nvidia is a sponsor and apparently Team Kodi does have a rapport with them, maybe someone should tell them that this isn’t helpful,” wrote one user while linking to Nvidia’s article.

These concerns were quickly addressed by Kodi Project Manager Nate Thomas.

“Already taken care of,” Thomas wrote.

By Tuesday this week the piece had gone (cache copy) but it soon reappeared in heavily edited form. Gone were the references to Fusion and TVaddons.ag to be replaced by a cautionary tale about staying legal.

“You can find Kodi add-ons in ‘repositories’ and we highly recommend only using the add-ons in the official Kodi repository as that’s the best way to make sure that you’ll not only have add-ons that the company trusts, but you’ll also find yourself on the right side of the law,” the new variant reads.

the revised post on nVidia's page: http://shield.nvidia.com/blog/install-kodi-add-ons

Stay "official" with the Kodi repository
You can find Kodi add-ons in “repositories” and we highly recommend only using the add-ons in the official Kodi repository as that’s the best way to make sure that you’ll not only have add-ons that the company trusts, but you’ll also find yourself on the right side of the law.

:lol:

---

it's quite funny, this reminds me when a big name movie studio asked google to block access to their localhost (127.0.0.1) because they were distributing their movie(s) illegally 

Still no idea what Kodi is, and how it's linked to Fusion.  WTB more info?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

How can you be that Stupid Nvidia?

Complimentary post about @zMeul being an AMD fanboy or something.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Still no idea what Kodi is, and how it's linked to Fusion.  WTB more info?

Kodi is XMBC... 

I wonder of the person that wrote the article uses that add-on himself and didn't even consider why it would be a bad idea to write about it.

have you heard of XBMC player? now it's known as Kodi 

why!? hell if I know  :P

Heard of? Yeah.  Used it?  No reason to :P

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Could you please fix your atrocity of a title. The cringe is 10/10

nice clickbait Mr.AMDfb

Again, there is no indication that the company intended to directly advise people on how to access pirate content

they fixed it anyway, so there really isnt a point to making this topic

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My life makes no sence anymore...nvidia how could you.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

NVIDIA is only made out to have fucked up. Linking to an addon that can be used for piracy is not endorsing piracy. They didn't fuck up, they got media fucked. My 980ti is linked to piracy because I use it to play pirated copies of the Ubisoft games that I legally own because Uplay doesn't fucking work and let people play legal copies.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Endorsing the use of add-ons that contain pirated content is not the same as endorsing piracy itself. The add-on also contains legitimate content and it's up to the user as to what they decide to use it for.

Additionally, endorsing the PC platform is not akin to endorsing piracy either, even though the platform is typically used for it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Out of all the things Nvidia is doing wrong, this is nothing in comparison.

Love the fact that this was closely followed by this:

-snip-

Issue or not, people are willing to hand wave it away, because fuck AMD that's why.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Some poor intern is gonna get fired for this. Lol

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Could you please fix your atrocity of a title. The cringe is 10/10

@Godlygamer23 wants long descriptive titles though.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

are we now starting to make drama out of with a link of separation from the crime? That's like sending people to jail for downloading utorrent.

Endorsing the use of add-ons that contain pirated content is not the same as endorsing piracy itself. The add-on also contains legitimate content and it's up to the user as to what they decide to use it for.

Additionally, endorsing the PC platform is not akin to endorsing piracy either, even though the platform is typically used for it.

There's legitimate reasons to pirate stuff. I used to pirate games to demo them before steam refunds.

I pirate all my tv shows but I have cable and could dvr it if I wanted to but I'd rather use my computer instead and you can bet your ass if I was living in Australia I wouldn't even bother giving a reason on why I do it.

A for effort

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

have you heard of XBMC player? now it's known as Kodi 

why!? hell if I know  :P

Because they no longer support xbox at all so it make no sense for them to keep the name XBox Media Center aka XBMC.

XBMC was originally made for the original Xbox. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

@Godlygamer23 wants long descriptive titles though.

No. I want something that is not one-sided.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

OK.

So, the addon is "linked" to piracy, however the intention for the software is not for it to be used in an illegitimate way. Bad, bad nVidia.

Is this not the same as MS Windows being linked to piracy, in that a huge number of people use their PC for the sole purpose of obtaining content illegally and then consuming it?

I really don't understand what the issue is, here. Butt hurtttttttt.

And that other topic title wasn't one-sided....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

While we're at it. Can we have a thing against clickbaity articles? This title is so bad.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),