Is Star Citizen Going to Crash and Burn?!

source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/14695-Star-Citizen-Controversy-Reaches-a-Boiling-Point

the read is long
and if you're interested, you should read all blog posts by Derek Smart - he has a point

the main concern is this:

One major point of concern includes the seemingly silent alterations to the Terms of Service. In total, a revision to the Terms of Service includes 178 removals and 199 additions, and was instated after the initial release window for Star Citizen had already passed. The original ToS that backers agreed to when contributing the project was ToS v1.1 listed on the RSI website, and stated that if the game failed to be delivered within 12 months of the original Kickstarter estimated delivery date, refunds would be available. At the time, the project held a November 2014 release date, making the non-delivery period November 2015. This was changed on February 1, 2015 to ToS v1.2 to reflect a new timeframe of 18 months. The anticipated delivery date had also changed at this time, to the end of 2016.

---

my take on this: I don't believe in crowd funding - period!
yes, I can enumerate a few games that have successfully launched but I can also point out the borderline frauds and the suits that got started because not delivering the product

the issue (as I see it) with Star Citizen is that the game should have a concrete date set in stone and abide by that
they need a date by date schedule and abide by that - you don't!, I repeat, you don't! push schedules by inserting new elements into it - you set a development path and you clear it

I see SC road so far just like dangling a carrot in front of the donkey heading for the cliffs

---

the altering of TOS does look like CIG doesn't want to issue refunds

and what's with the firing of people who allegedly leaked on a problem that you don't have ?!

Edited by Godlygamer23

All of the naysayers are the twerps who complain about games getting released too early from AAA devs.

Make up your fucking minds with what you want.

Honestly I pulled out of Star Citizen about a month ago and got my money back. Cloud Imperium has failed to meet just about every goal on time. Let me just remind you guys that we were suppose to have a full beta by now, but we're nowhere even close to getting that at all.

Also, @zMeul, that's a very clickbait title. While I'm not satisfied with the way Star Citizen is progressing, it's not crashing burning, at least not yet. It's still something to think about though, because at this rate it could very well happen.

COMIC SANS

Isn't Derek Smart the guy who got really jealous, and angry when His game didn't get off the ground, but Star Citizen did? From Wikipedia:

Online activities

A self-described "eccentric and vocal personality",[16] Smart is renowned for lengthy and aggressive online responses to perceived criticism.[17] Computer Games Magazine wrote that "over time, his reputation as an online defender of his games and unabashed pistol-whipper of his enemies overshadows the games themselves."[18] In an interview which was featured on the cover page of Computer Gaming World, Smart said of his online persona: "Sometimes when I get online, and it's quiet, and I see something that attracts my attention, I'll post just to piss these guys off. That's why I do it. Because I'm in a good mood that day, I go in there and I start trouble."[17] A 2012 in-depth article regarding the disconnect between his real-life and online alter-ego was authored by media veteran Russ Pitts and published by The Verge.[19]

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Dirt Rally is awesome by allowing consumers to buy it on Early Access, essentially funding the development of the game.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Isn't Derek Smart the guy who got really jealous, and angry when His game didn't get off the ground, but Star Citizen did?

you should not critique the person but what he wrote - and what he wrote points to a problem in Star Citizen's development

that is real, the "deadlines" were not met, people have asked for their money back and will continue to do so until it's not possible anymore

Anyone who honestly believes that Star Citizen will fail, is an idiot. Just because they've failed to meet their deadlines, doesn't mean the game will flop. New features continue to come out, as well as news. The honest fact is, progress continues, and will continue. Will it take a while? Yes, it will. Will the game benefit for it? Yes, it will. Will the general market be able to play the game on max at 1080p when it comes out? That is the big question, at least in my mind.

Personally, I think they are taking a good amount of time to allow for the market to catch up, at least as far as hardware is concerned. Not to mention creating a crap load of content to stick into the universe. No point in releasing the game if there's nothing to do.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Derek again? hey Derek, why don't you be nice and go finish/fix (actually just rewrite it from the ground up, it's that bad) that god awful game you released a while ago instead of trowing a tantrum and badmouthing Star Citizen, hein?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I've never really bothered with Star Citizen, don't even have a slight interest in it, but it still saddens me that they still haven't finished and released the game yet.

On an unrelated note, I backed Yooka-Laylee on Kickstarter(my one and only backing so far) and I'm really hoping that doesn't fail...so I can kinda relate to SC fans in this context then?

Wonder how Linus would feel if SC failed.

And as we all know, Star Citizen was going to support Mantle.

Star Citizen crashing and burning = RIP AMD

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I really hoped that this rubbish wouldn't end up on here. The article is shit-tier clickbait. Please point to a company that doesn't change their ToS over time.

you should not critique the person but what he wrote - and what he wrote points to a problem in Star Citizen's development
that is real, the "deadlines" were not met, people have asked for their money back and will continue to do so until it's not possible anymore

Derek twists facts in order to say the sky is falling in and he was right all along. Apparently two people getting fired indicates that a studio is closing down. He's an idiot.

Seriously, stop listening to derek dumbdumb. He's doing nothing but getting publicity for himself and his shitty games.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

While the game is moving at a snails pace, and I don't anticipate it to be anything great, Derek Smart is an obvious troll who couldn't do it any better.

Do not think they are going to crash and burn. Think they will succeed. I am not a backer but I am basing this on the progress they have made so far and I have been keeping in touch with the regular information which they put out. A lot of people who think they are going to fail haven't really kept in touch with what's going on with the project and instead think that they are just making and selling expensive ships.

I've never really bothered with Star Citizen, don't even have a slight interest in it, but it still saddens me that they still haven't finished and released the game yet.

On an unrelated note, I backed Yooka-Laylee on Kickstarter(my one and only backing so far) and I'm really hoping that doesn't fail...so I can kinda relate to SC fans in this context then?

Wonder how Linus would feel if SC failed.

It wouldn't bother me per se. It is money wasted, but nothing compared to what Linus dumped.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/14695-Star-Citizen-Controversy-Reaches-a-Boiling-Point

the read is long

and if you're interested, you should read all blog posts by Derek Smart - he has a point

the main concern is this:

---

yes, I can enumerate a few games that have successfully launched but I can also point out the borderline frauds and the suits that got started because not delivering the product

the issue (as I see it) with Star Citizen is that the game should have a concrete date set in stone and abide by that

they need a date by date schedule and abide by that - you don't!, I repeat, you don't! push schedules by inserting new elements into it - you set a development path and you clear it

I see SC road so far just like dangling a carrot in front of the donkey heading for the cliffs

---

and what's with the firing of people who allegedly leaked on a problem that you don't have ?!

Derek Smart?

BAHAHAHAHA - you're a fool.

He listed a fake address so that CIG couldn't refund him and he could claim to never have received a refund. The man's a fucking fraud.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Derek Smart?! Really?! -_-

The ones complaining are so use to trash by "AAA" devs that they have forgotten good things take time, patience and care. None of which AAA devs have given their audiences in years. So no, this game isn't going to crash and burn.

All of the naysayers are the twerps who complain about games getting released too early from AAA devs.

Make up your fucking minds with what you want.

+42

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The only people thinking that the game will crash before even beginning are either journalist looking for clicks, trolls and those that don't understand game development (the later i say is the group that is expressing the most hate because they are confused, at least that's what i think, game development has always been very time consuming). Follow CIG progress on their site, plus news posted by anyone but Mr. Derek and/or clickbait post and it should be know that they are moving very slowly because this game is the most complex project to have ever existed within the gaming industry. Just as an example tell me of a game where the player always exist just as a player model entity and not as the ship as a whole, that ships are more detailed that the most realistic sims out there, that some ships require to be driven by more that one player, and that there is full FPS mechanics with complete bullet physics, all of it persistent and that all of this can happen AT THE SAME TIME!?!?!? yeah, there's no gaming project more crazy and ambitious that this.

I will agree that what is in the making now, is just a shadow of what the kickstarter pitched and what those backers bought into, but thinking that a year later they would have reached a donation pool of over 20 million USD and expecting the same game when Mr. Roberts put stretch goals that would severely alter the course of the original concept is a bit naive. The only legit criticism against them is that getting a refund is very cumbersome, right now you have to email support and hope that they accept to give the money back, that's a really annoying process, they should make it easy.

The biggest problem that this game is facing is that it has turned a victim of its own success, last month they got over 2 million USD from backers, and it now totals over 89 million USD total (that is spread between over 986000 backers) that's a budget not even the biggest triple AAA developers have to put just on the resources to make a game, which is where at least 95% of all that money is going to, there's no way they would expand the game having all that money at hand, not the kind of game SC would have been since the beginning, from the kickstarter it is very understandable that they would expand over time, the massive budget is allowing them making that but before the game launches.

Lastly, i'm sure CR and the original pre kickstarter crew never expected to have more that 10 million in bank to make the game before launching the kickstarter, even less that 3 years later, the project would be split between 4 different studios in 3 different countries and employing hundreds of developers, artists and designers in the studio, also a couple dozen freelancers and i think more that two third party studios hired to assist and develop parts like the FPS, server backend and software middelware that does things better that default cryengine like the AI system. And with that i mean that due to the game massive expansion from its original concept its hard to expect the same thing that was projected 3 years ago.

TLDR: Haters gonna hate, and they will spread FUD to hate.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

---

---

Star Citizen does not have a concrete date set because it will not sell itself short in return for a quick investment. Though it has raised over 89m in funding Chris Roberts and CIG plan to make "The Best Damn Space Sim Ever" and money is hardly a motivating factor in that, as their original kickstarter was only a fraction of that 89m. CIG works out of passion, is what im trying to say.