Do You Ever Get Too Old for Gaming?

Stigs

I told my parents that for my laptop for college, I'd like to get a gaming laptop because they would be good (spec wise) for gaming and for 3d modeling programs (inventor, solidworks, etc.).  I also told them that for my dorm that I was considering getting a PS4 or something (boo, hiss).  Then my mom says, "won't you grow out of gaming."  I told her no, and I stick by my answer, but what do you guys think. Yes, no, depends, turnip? Let me know.

Edit:  Just to be clear, my opinion is that you do not grow out of gaming.

maybe for a while you might leave it but come back later...
i see plenty of 40+ year old gamers, and even some 60+

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't know yet.

But life is getting in the way of gaming quite a bit 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Really depends on the individual. In this day and age however, big no.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I'm sure some people do grow out of it, just because we change as we grow up and that includes our interests. But you can't be too old for it, just the same as you can't be too old to enjoy reading or watching films.

You won't get old but responsibilities are hardly going to spare you some time to play games.

My grandpa is 74 and stills plays serious sam, kiss psycho circus and all the quake games. My father is 48 and still plays skyrim/oblivion, and has even played a few MMO's for several years. I would say no, you are never too old for gaming. Everyone likes games, regardless of what type they are. Board games, card games, sports, etc. When people tell you that you are too old for games, just remind them that they still play games (statistically speaking, would be hard to NOT play games, considering how many things fall under that title). 

People tend to have this false perspective on what is qualified as gaming. It's been this way for as long as i can remember. For example: you have grown men making fun of children for playing pokemon cards or dungeons and dragons, but they will immediately go play poker or start a fantasy football league after just scolding the children and nerds for doing the same thing.

Now with smart phones and app stores, gaming as a whole has spread far and wide. Everyone is a gamer. Whether they choose to believe so is an entirely different subject.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

You won't get old but responsibilities are hardly going to spare you some time to play games.

yes, when you retire especially. it's just awful then, no free time.  :mellow:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

im to old in that I dont have near as much time to devote to it as id like, and alot of the time I simply dont have time for this shit if a game doesn't get my attention immediately.

Im also to old to deal with the sea of morons arguing/saying racist shit/trolling/generally being hateful in most multiplayer games.

So in some elements I say yes im to old for it (you have to remember games are designed for a target audience) but I doubt I will ever stop gaming, even if its just racing sims I stick with.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I don't think so. You'll get too old to play online 5 hours a day so your taste in games will probably change a lot, but for people born in the early 80s and later games are the dominant form of entertainment, not movies. Nowadays games are targetted at people in their 30s who grew up on Super Mario Brothers and Double Dragon because they have disposable income and no one really outgrows it.

yes, when you retire especially. it's just awful then, no free time. :mellow:

well in that case you have free time but certainly not in mid age :P

You'll end up having a lot less time to play games, but that sure as hell doesn't mean you outgrow them. I've recently kind been burned out with AAA games but I always go back to classics and JRPGs when I get the chance.

Git Gud.

I don't think so and especially people from our generation can't grow out of it, we were brought up with PC's, consoles and gaming so it'll  be with us all into our 80's and 90's.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

And really, lots of people who were in their late 20s or younger in the late 70s are likely to play games. People who played Pac Man and Donkey Kong in the arcades grew up on gaming too. It's a bigger industry than Hollywood and has been for at least a decade, so people aren't growing out of it.

Y'all know what to do

turnip-true-love2.png

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I don't know yet.

But life is getting in the way of gaming quite a bit 

IKR, I'd rather have no life and more games.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Im 42 years old and still PC game. Ive been playing games since I was 7 years old on my first computer which was a Commodore Vic 20. I must admit its getting harder to stay up for longer sessions than 20 years back. I can no longer stay up to 3 am in the morning. I usually get tired about 12 or 1 pm. I also finder it ALOT harder to like games like I used to. This is due to playing soo many games over the years. Ive been there and done that saying. 

My wife don't mind me playing games since PC's is my hobby. If you have a girlfriend or wife which thinks you are too old to game. Then you have two options. Leave her or quit pc gaming.

Last note. Yes you can PC game at older ages however things change and you might not be able to PC game more often.

Professional gaming requires insane reflexes and that's why there is no gamers older than 27 - 30 years, so you shouldn't really be counting on that when you get old. But I don't really believe you would grow too old to do the old school relaxing gaming. It's just that probally, when you grow up, you might find yourself not really enjoying doing the same tuff that your grandkids do, now most of us can't relate to kids that are like 7 years younger than us because of the unusually large generation gap. The games industry is tailored to the specific target audience and you might find yourself out of this audience in a few years.

And you might aswell run out of time as you get older.

One thing that people who believe video games are just "for kids" seem to miss is that its an entertainment medium. Just like reading books, or watching tv and movies, its entertainment.

gameing is a fairly "new" thing to suciety, there was always people that played with cards, and board games, but digitaly is new.

think of games in the same way, will you ever be to old to play cards, or chess...

no you won't, digital gameing is here to stay and people wont stop doing it because they get older, possibly less, for other reasons like "life" in general, but there will be gameing

IKR, I'd rather have no life and more games.

I actually like it when i work (Currently unemployed but doing a 8-4 monday to friday course in sales. Which sucks a bit more)

But when i work i can spend some money on a good amount of games and when i get some vacation time i can just relax and play them^^ 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'm 26 and only rediscovered gaming last year before Christmas.

My wife encourages it, so long as I buy her stockings and so on from time to time and pay her attention.