Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

Multithreaded tasks. With gaming on the side.

I never said it was a waste for multithreaded tasks, it's a waste for gaming

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

My biggest pet peeve when it comes to people building PCs is when they don't actually build it themselves. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Because it's a waste, a 5820K, 5930K, or 5960X, will loose out, tie, or beat a 4790K by no more then 5fps. So you are buying a more expensive CPU, motherboard, and RAM for no performance gain

OK just thought I would ask. The rig I'm putting together is doing more than gaming so that is fine. Any rate im thinking about waiting to see the gen of chips from intel before I get there tho to see what happening first.

Thanks for the answer.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

There is always going to be the next generation of Intel chips. I suggest you make the best decision that suits your needs and give yourself enough head-over in the spec that it'll meet the next level of what you are thinking of doing with your PC.

The case thing I can understand. I bought the NZXT Gamma Classic with my $500 budget PC and it was only $30 and I didn't want to buy lower end hardware just for a better looking case (because that's so shallow :P).

Plus, I'd prefer to put all my cash on the hardware and later on, buy a better case and not the other way around.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

I mean, I have a GTX 980, and a Core i7 3770k that I literally only use for CS:GO and daily tasks like listening to music, etc. Oh, and I spent ~$500 on an HP blackbird 002 case, so you can judge me for that all you want :P (I could have gotten a second 980, but instead, I replaced my Fractal R4) 

Oh, people that think sound cards increase sound quality (nowadays, on any half decent motherboard)

People that don't do any fan noise curves bug me too. Silence is golden!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

When one of my mates comes up to me saying "oh I wanna buy a new pc would you be able to help me find one", then I spend about 2 hours looking for right parts, what would work best etc. Then finally when I say the build is ready to be bought they  come back with "oh, i bought a laptop it was only £1500" . Seriously I get so mad, I'm not bothered about the time wasted from my end it's the fact that they spend a grand and a half on a laptop and they don't even move around much.

He literally has it hooked up to a screen with mouse and keyboard, He could've got so much more.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I mean, I have a GTX 980, and a Core i7 3770k that I literally only use for CS:GO and daily tasks like listening to music, etc. Oh, and I spent ~$500 on an HP blackbird 002 case, so you can judge me for that all you want :P (I could have gotten a second 980, but instead, I replaced my Fractal R4) 

Oh, people that think sound cards increase sound quality (nowadays, on any half decent motherboard)

Yeah I'm the same I literally use mine just for League, such a waste but nothing is really enticing me at the moment 

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

I mean, I have a GTX 980, and a Core i7 3770k that I literally only use for CS:GO and daily tasks like listening to music, etc. 

Yes! Custom fan curves ftw! :D 

The only fans running in my system when not gaming are the rad fans and they're running as slow as possible (virtually silent). ;)

Yeah I'm the same I literally use mine just for League, such a waste but nothing is really enticing me at the moment 

Lol, The game I have the most hours logged in steam is Day of Defeat: Source - a game that can be run on a potato by today's hardware standards. :P

I do play a lot of other demanding games though. But that one I've played the most and still do. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

People who have a 1000$ budget and get a 4790k ,an ROG Board and dominator platinums, yeah.

what's wrong with that

Fanboys, who wont consider another brand (even if that other brand might perform better or just as good for less)

You know what I am talking about...

AHEMCORSAIRFANBOYS

AHEMCORSAIRFANBOYS

ayy lmao? :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

ayy lmao? :P

just because a brand is good, it doesn't mean it can't have fanboys. You'll be surprised at how many people use the Corsair M65. One of the heaviest and absolute worst mice on the market. Worst of all, you can get a FinalMouse 2015 or a Zowie FK2 for around the same cost.

In fact, all of Corsair's mice are dog sh*t.

just because a brand is good, it doesn't mean it can't have fanboys. You'll be surprised at how many people use the Corsair M65. One of the heaviest and absolute worst mice on the market. Worst of all, you can get a FinalMouse 2015 or a Zowie FK2 for around the same cost.

In fact, all of Corsair's mice are dog sh*t.

Oh, I'm no mouse expert so I didn't exactly know what you are talking about (as Corsair makes cases, keyboards and cooler among various other items, so was not sure what you were talking about).

I'm still using a  13 year old mouse and never used a Corsair mouse in my life. They look pretty decent tbh

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

mounting cpu coolers

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I always manage to get a bad mount tbh

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

1) I hate when people give really short responses to questions without any reasons. If OP has a suggested build, I'll change parts, and give specific reasons for every change. If they didn't have an initial build I won't always give a reason for every part, but will still do it for important parts. 

2) When the poster says that they aren't in the USA, but doesn't give a country. An example of this is saying the price in euros, but not specifying.

3) Changing parts when it isn't needed. Examples of this are changing a case to a similar quality one, just because the person suggesting it likes the look more.

4) Using terrible grammar. It is fine if you don't natively speak english, but if ur sentncez luk leik dis, then you have a problem.

5) Replying even though you don't know what you're talking about. I have seen so many posts giving terrible advice that it has made me consider leaving the forum. I have seen threads where the OP has a great build for his uses, but then there are five people in the comments with abominable builds, and nobody corrects them.

6) Going over the budget. If the person asks for a $600 build, you can suggest a $650 one, but you better also have a $600 one. If somebody doesn't have a job (eg. many younger people here), then they may not be able to spend any more money, unless they wait for another six months.

The first three high school kids I mentored all bought $200 full ATX cases and then put a GTX 650/660 in it. One was a mini ATX board. I recommended against doing so, and using the money for a better GPU, but they all wanted a "cool" case. =/

I disagree somewhat. I wouldn't recommend an SSD on a build lower then $800

I can see your point of view if the machine is meant for gaming primarily. I would, personally, still opt for a SSD.

I built a $500 machine for an older gentleman a few months ago. Upgrading from a Dell with a 1.8Ghz Celeron, 20GB IDE HDD, Win XP and 512MB of RAM. He browsed the web and typed up word documents. Given that he didn't need that much storage, I chose a SSD, instead of a spinner, for speed. Now if he did need the storage, a fast HDD for sure. When clients install everything under the sun, even a 7200 RPM drive will be slow to boot. An SSD can help offset that a little.

However, he actually complained that the computer was "too fast" because he was used to his old PC's 10-15 minute boot time. I've seen a SSD improve 4-68 year old machines that people don't want to part with. Do I recommend it? No. Will I do it if they ask, and are they happy with the decision? Yes & yes.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

OK just thought I would ask. The rig I'm putting together is doing more than gaming so that is fine. Any rate im thinking about waiting to see the gen of chips from intel before I get there tho to see what happening first.

Thanks for the answer.

sorry this isn't for you it's for the person you quoted hmm you have to get one of those Gpus for x99 which = 128gb ddr4 and 4 GPUs

When people put their motherboard on the ant-static bag.

CRINGE CENTRAL

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

When people put their motherboard on the ant-static bag.

CRINGE CENTRAL

*ahem*

This guy has been in the business for a good few years, he knows what he's doing.

I know Linus said otherwise in another video on techquickie but a live demonstration is far more reliable than just saying "yeah don't do that".

I can see your point of view if the machine is meant for gaming primarily. I would, personally, still opt for a SSD.

I built a $500 machine for an older gentleman a few months ago. Upgrading from a Dell with a 1.8Ghz Celeron, 20GB IDE HDD, Win XP and 512MB of RAM. He browsed the web and typed up word documents. Given that he didn't need that much storage, I chose a SSD, instead of a spinner, for speed. Now if he did need the storage, a fast HDD for sure. When clients install everything under the sun, even a 7200 RPM drive will be slow to boot. An SSD can help offset that a little.

However, he actually complained that the computer was "too fast" because he was used to his old PC's 10-15 minute boot time. I've seen a SSD improve 4-68 year old machines that people don't want to part with. Do I recommend it? No. Will I do it if they ask, and are they happy with the decision? Yes & yes.

Yep. Exactly. It depends on the user's needs as to what makes more sense. 

6 months ago I built my mother-in-law a new PC. On her old machine, she'd only accumulated about 40GB worth of data/documents over the past 7-8 years. So it didn't make sense to put a slower 500GB HDD in if she only needs a fraction of the space. It made far more sense to spend just a little more for a 120GB SSD and have a far faster machine with a better user experience instead.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

spending less money on a cheaper/worse part that they know theyll need to update and replace in the near future... just spend a little extra and save the extra money down the line

I've done this on my PSU so many times :D

People not using mITX and an A series APU when you want a budget light gaming and general media consumption PC. Not doing mITX is understandable since mATX is fairly more accessible, but it seems insane to me to use intel in a general use budget rig.

The guy who inspires footlong subs in ship girl skirts.

1. When people have $1300 worth of video cards hooked up to a single, $130 1080p TN panel

But Skyrim mods man